Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

can you get in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you get in trouble

Originally posted by: hp703
My son was to big for a 50cc. SO we bought him 80cc. We plan on doing trail riding if we get caught can we get in trouble. Or is pretty much ride at your own risk.
Only regulation I know of in my state is it's illegal for a dealer to sell you a quad for an underaged lad knowingly.... Just a hayday for the Attorneys...
jarsong

Old 02-17-2004, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

went to wisconsin dnr office today and ask them and they said under 12yr old you can ride a atv under 90cc on the trail but not on the ice in wisconsin.so it is ok to ride and not get in trouble.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not to be a bummer or anything [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but I would like to bring to everyone's attention that it's not just about getting caught or getting a ticket.

Two years ago when he was 7, my son broke his arm while riding his Polaris Scrambler 50 at our camp. When the New York State Trooper arrived at the emergency room it was a darn good thing my son was riding the appropriate CC recommended for his age (and the trooper did drive 30 miles to verify it) or else my husband and I would have been arrested for endangering the welfare of a child.

Accidents happen.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curley: Welcome to this forum. We don't often see people with "1" posting on this forum. Hope this forums helps you and your son with your mini-quad adventures... Sure hope your son is ok from his accident.

I live in a different region. Luckily, we don't have to purchase a trail pass for the 66,000 acres we often go riding in. This place is loaded with deep mud, water, sand pits and steep "little" hills. Lots of different riding conditions for everyone's choice. While in this area, we got inspeced by our local cops twice. They inspected our ownership, insurance papers, inquired on years of driving experience, etc. etc. Each time, my 8/9 year old son was driving his '03 Pred-90. Each time, the cops told my son to close his eyes and grab every control on his unit. The key, the kill switch, the tether strap ****, brakes, etc. Since my son is the size of most 11/12 year olds, and knows the controls of his unit with his eyes closed, our local cops told us to "drive carefully", then let us go. Often, I go riding with a cop and his 14 year old son. Most of the time, my son is much more careful then that 14 year old. Once, I seen his 14 year old wipe out so bad, I asked his father if he should take a safety course. Funny thing was, he agreed!!! Our local cops see that as well. To me, many of our younger mini-quad drivers are much safer then those over confident teenagers. Those "speed wild" teenagers and kids in their 20s are always giving our fun sport a bad name.

If you do plan on allowing your younger driver to be on an over sized CC quad (as per CPSC laws), ensure he/she knows their controls blind folded and always use "safe driving" habits. Just by watching anyone on the trail, most cops know who has full control of their unit, and who they should give tickets too....

Something to think about...

Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the welcome Spike99. That was in fact my 1st post but hopefully not my last.

Yeah, things are pretty tough here for us New Yorkers. Luckily we have our cabin with enough acres to keep us busy most weekends. We are probably going to get the Trail Pass this year though.

Like I said I didn't want to be a bummer and in fact, when we were buying my son's ATV we did a lot of research, particularly about body size because he is tall for his age. We ended up with the Polaris Scrambler because it's basically the same body size as their 90. In fact, if we hadn't found that model, we probably would have gone up to 90cc since a lot of the 50's are REALLY small. In fact, I'm still disappointed with Suzuki for making the 80 so darn small. Both my husband and I own Suzuki's and would have liked to "keep it in the family" but alas.

My son is fine, thank god. He was back to riding about a month after the cast came off. He does have special order elbow pads this time around. It was really a strange accident - he just happen to land right on the edge of a rock (the one that bumped him off). Had it been just dirt he would have been fine.

Anyway, I'll probably be back later with the question I was looking for an answer to. But now I have to get dinner ready.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

In Cali the kid has to be i think 6 -12 for a 50 and 13 -16 for an 80/90 and has to take a class and get a cert or the mom or dad has to have a cert from the class. At GLAMIS the BLM I heard is kinda picky on that and would ticket you not the kid.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

the dealers here in texas won't sell anyone under 12 anything over 50cc but i can buy a 90cc for and let my 6 year old son ride it all day with no problem. i think the sales deal is just a rule the dealer has to follow. i see 8 year olds around here all the time at public riding areas riding atvs as big as 700cc, which is stupid on the parents part as far as think. but a 50cc is really to small for a lot of 5 and 6 year old and the 80 and 90s fit them pretty good. i believe the rider should have an atv that fits their size and riding skills not one that the gov says they have to ride.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

My dealer in Utah told me it was just a guideline not a law and if he followed it he wouldn't sell any youth quads. I bought a Scrambler 90 for my then 6 year old, no problem.

Old 02-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

I may be mistaken, but in my stae of MI, it says NO ONE UNDER the age of 12 may ride unless on PRIVATE owned property...
that limits my son (6) to riding on our property only...

anyone from MI know of any different laws..??
is that true..??

Any place that we can ride in MI with him..??? on a 50cc of course....

Thanks....this is a good thread......
Deb

Old 02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

here in Texas it's just an agreement between the dealers and the manufacturers. if they don't go by it they could loose their rights to sell that brand. like i said some bend it a little and some pay it no attention at all.

Quick Reply: can you get in trouble