Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

comparing kid quads

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comparing kid quads

We are looking to buy 2 90cc quads for our sons, and we are kind of torn between the Bombardier DS90, the Kasea Skyhawk 90 and the Polaris Predator90. Does anyone have any preference of one over the other or any information on these three quads that we should look at. We are looking to buy this weekend.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give us.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

My son has had his Pred 90 for a couple of months and it has been a GREAT bike!! Good Power very strong and reliable!!! I have seen him do things to that quad that I was sure I was gonna be buying parts for and it came out without a scratch!!

Chris

Old 02-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

phillipandmattsmom,

Welcome to this forum. If you search the historical contents of this forum (and the other forums mentioned), you'll find lots of great info. Both good and bad on each brand. From my limited knowledge of the brands you mentioned, here's some feedback to consider.

Many love the Kasea. It's a solid machine that many kids enjoy. A few positives are: foot brake, optional factory lights, lots of hop up parts, etc. Some replace its factory foot pegs with Nerf Bars to bring its safety levels up even higher. We'll worth investigating further.

The DS 90 comes in a 2 stroke auto or 4 stroke manual. If possible, don't purchase the 4 stroke manual transmission version. Many "new young riders" can't use the manual transmission very well. I talked to a DS 90 2 stroke owner once and he loved their new DS 90 unit. Positives are full running boards, bright orange yellow for bush riding. Doesn't come with an optional front light.

To me, the Pred-90 a deep suspension trail type unit. We have one for our large body 8 year old. Lots of power for even his 11/12 year old body size. Of all 3, this unit has the most factory suspension travel. Something to consider if you are doing rough trail riding. This unit is a larger frame size. You must consider the body size of your young rider for this heavier, with wider factory back wheels mini. This unit doesn't come with a factory front light. For approx $60.00, you can install your own light on it.

Of all these units, highly consider maintenance parts and upgrade parts availablity. Also ensure the frame size and ease of controls is comfortable for your first time rider. Safety & control is the highest factor when selecting any of these brands. If your young rider will be doing "around the house" and minor trail riding, then each of the brands you mentioned will work great. If future racing is "in the plans", then do an indepth investigation / comparison before purchasing. Each has their Racing upgrade pros / cons as well.

When your kids drives your new mini for the first time, ensure you have the video camera rolling. The excitment and joy must be captured forever...

Hope this helps...

Old 02-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

something different to think about is the control levers some don't have a foot brake, this seems to teach the young ones bad habits. the honda 90 is a nice choice but the kids will have to learn to shift.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Shifting is not a problem for them. They are currently riding a Honda Recon and a Bear Tracker which they both handle really well but that we know are too big for them and before something happens we want to get them a "size" appropriate atv. We have found that this is an activity that the whole family thouroughly enjoys and we want to be able to go places other than our 118 acre farm. Safety is the utmost top priority and we are wanting to do something pretty quick but make a educated decision when we do get them a quad of their very own. When we ride, there is a minimum of 7 people riding, so supervision is not an issue either, they are being taught the proper way to ride and that thier safety is our number one priority.

Thank you to everyone that has posted replies and I look forward to reading this forum daily. I have found it to be most helpful and I know that I can come here and ask questions and get the answers that I need.

Thank You.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to check out an E-Ton 90. I bought two a couple of weeks ago and the kids love them. Cool little rides for sure.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

I have 2 03' Preds for my boys that they race. They are awsome bikes with great suspension and can be modified EXTREMELY FAST! But I noticed you said farm riding. Alot of these little bikes are air cooled and tend to load up with mud and can cause motor and stator damage because they can't cool. So if alot mud riding is in your plans, I would move towards honda 90 because they don't have this problem. But other than that... I am entirely happy with the Predators. P.S. Did I mention how fast they were... my boy's wanted to point that out![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

We did start looking at the Etons today. We have a price on a 2004 Viper 90 without reverse for 1600.00 out the door. From what we have seen, it is a pretty good price. We have found the exact same one at other dealers and they want 1999. We are going tomorrow to look at them a little closer.

From what I understand the 2005 Viper 90 with reverse we have a price of 1999.00 out the door but they won't be in for a couple more weeks.

Thanks for the input. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider

reverse on a kids quad thats great

Old 02-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

I just bought a 2004 viper 90 for my son 2 weeks ago. I paid $1675 OTD for it. $1600 is a great price. It is a b-day presant for my son so he hasn't rode it yet (doesn't know he's getting it). I rode it, and I was impressed, with my 200 lb body on it! Nice little quad.

2003 Eiger 4x4 5sp green.
2004 Eton Viper 90 Blue

Quick Reply: comparing kid quads