Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

quad @ pep boys

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad @ pep boys

anyone see the quad pep boys are selling for 899 wow. 90 cc 4 stroke 3 speed auto clutch with reverse, lights and full floor boards. this thing looks awsome any body know of any history on it. if anyone's buying its something to research.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad @ pep boys

I'll tell you about everything with this quad so far, to let you draw your own conclusions. Overall, I am fairly happy, especially for the $$s, but there are some issues. Also I have owned no other mini quad, just Honda 250EX, and Honda bikes XR50, 100, 250. Honda's have good quality so they are a high mark to equate to.

The engine - basically Honda copy with electric start on top of engine. Of the entire machine, I am most pleased with the engine. I will be changing the oil for the first time tonight. He has 2 solid weekends of trail riding so far. 3 forward gears, 1 reverse. Shift down to shift up. Pull cable on dashboard and shift down through nuetral to get reverse.

The suspension - too stiff, but it has broke in some, works better for adult weight. Son has not complained.

Front brakes - drum, not the best stopping power, had to adjust the adjusters out all the way, then I moved them back in and indexed the arms some to get more adjustment. Compared to Honda XR50 brakes, probably about the same.

Rear brakes - hydraulic disk. 2 piston caliper. Good stopping power when they are not wore out. 2 sets of pads wore all the way out so far. Something seems wrong with this to me. I have EBC brand pads on order which I have not tried yet. May relocate bracket & caliper with help of father-in-law (has welder, etc.) to keep out dirt. Mounted too low, and becomes a scoop for dirt.

Plastic - OK, some loose bolts, no broken plastic yet.

Electrical - Good so far, has headlight with high/low, taillight/brakelight.

Frame - Not broken yet (adults have ridden some), some loose bolts on steering, kingpin rattles on one side (may be correctable with tightening, etc). Floorboards mounted too low. Chain/disc guard has caught some tree roots. Suprisingly the floorboards haven't caught much. He kind of pops the front wheels up over logs.

Gearing - too high 14 - 38. Some room for larger back sprocket, but haven't found out the replacement part yet (haven't researched a lot). Front sprocket is TRX90 / XR100 (428 chain). Priced a 13 tooth but Honda part and they wanted $22. Too much money. Will probably order a 13 tooth front and maybe go larger on rear. My son made most hills himself but all in 1st gear, 2nd mostly on flat, and 3rd only with momentum from 2nd and very flat and smooth. It will get to 3rd with me on gravel.

Chain has had 3-4 adjustments, 1/4 wear on adjusters. Probably about normal considering mud & sand. 428 chain.

Motor mods - I would think any/most TRX90 motor mods / pipes may also be used on this one? I would think you could get more motor performance than the rest of the machine could handle, if it is not already.

Also broke 1 handlebar top mount clamp (probably tightened it too tight), replaced both top clamps with some special plastic pieces and they hold well. Nothing else broken, except brake pads.

It has also been in some water (creek), approx. 12" deep with no problems. Fairly good in soft sand. (Much better than XR50 dirt bike).