Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

I Need a little more lt80 help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need a little more lt80 help.

Hi everyone.First I wanted to say thanks to those who helped with front clutch roller replacement advice did it and works a lot better but it still has to rev pretty high for it to engage but when it does it takes off I wish it would catch at a lower RPM.Next I just rebuilt the carb and put it back on fired it up runs great but sprays a little gas out the front of the carb when you get on it. and also I put the air filter and box back on and it bogs out and dies even with side adjustment all the way in and smokes real bad.Thanks for any help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Hmmm, The carb spray may be normal, altho I'd check to see if I had a cracked reed.
Engagement: how many rollers are you running now?
The screw adjustment on the carb is for idle adjustment.I suspect you maybe missed something in the carb (plugged jet?)Did you remove both jets and clean?

Old 04-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi lt80 thanks for the reply.
Here is what I've messed with.First of all the front clutch has 4 rollers in it like I said it goes great once it engages but I would like it to engage a little sooner.Ok the carb is my biggest problem Ive adjusted the needle to every spot and still will not run so I started messing around and noticed that the gas is leaking out of the overflow on the bottom of the carb so the float must not be stopping the gas flow?So I unhooked the gas line because my shut off valve on the gas tank does not shut off either.after I stopped the fuel flow I started the bike and it ran perfect untill running out of gas.Ok what can I do to stop the gas flow? I have taken the carb off and blown threw the gas tube and some (but very little) air still flows threw the carb when upside down is the pin that pushes the float up and down not working right?Should I go get an inline shut off valve from schucks and try to slow the fuel flow?Or should I just replace the float?Thanks for your help.Just want to go riding!

Old 04-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'd start with a very good carb cleaning. Remove both jets. Also remove the brass float seat.Inspect the seat and needle.
I didn't know they had an overflow.The bottom tube is a drain and shouldnt leak out there till you unscrew the drain plug.
Yes I think you should get a shut-off valve, but not to limit the fuel while running.
Lets go from there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I'm taking it all back apart and give a cleaning.I'll let you know what the outcome is.Also the oring that goes between the carb the spacer and the motor is gone. The guy I bought this from just put gaskets back in its place could this be making a difference should I get the orings?Also there are 4 holes on the sides of the carb I know that one was for oil injection on the pull start side and that was blocked on this bike and three on the other side one for gas what are the other 2 for the front one must be for somthing because when I cover it it revs a little higher what does it need to connect to or should I block it off. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Yes I think you should have the o-ring.
Carb holes: you already know where the oil injection is (left side) the 3 holes on the right are: front hole is a vent and is mighty important, make sure that it is not clogged. Middle hole is fuel in. Back hole is for vaccum to the petcock.
The lack of the o-ring could be trouble.

Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you have any of these orings and a spacer in stock?let me know.my email is gmman5@cableone.net[img]i/expression...mall-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

I'd like to take a swing at some of these issues you brought up. When I started rebuilding my sons LT80 I was also have some of the same issues, unsure of the carb spitting fuel out though. (never looked) If this is a stock carb you should have 2 lines comming from the gas tank, one for fuel and another for vac. I believe someone might of already posted this. The other line is a vent line from the bowl and should not be blocked just like lt80 posted. My issue was the fuel pitcock, I had to replace it, kept on flooding strange vac system. I have notice from writing to other LT80 owners that most of the time if it is a fuel problem it points right to the pitcock under the gass tank. They are kind of price.
As for clutch not meeting your standerds here is an artical I found on the web, which explains how it works and how to modify it (the cheap way) don't get me wrong i will be tackeling this in a few weeks. There is a diagram of the clutch which I feel is worth keeping for refrence purposes. Me I am looking at removing 3 weights. http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/clutching1.html
Take the time and read all three articals.
Here is my sons web site: http://mysite.verizon.net/4littleflowers/LT80.htm
Also there is a hyperlink to compair stock carb to 20mm carb.
Have you looked in to the fuel pitcock being the issue yet?

Old 04-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I'll check it out.The fuel thing is what I was wondering also it seems to get to much gas!

Old 05-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

lt80,

Hi, I see your description of the 3 right side holes in the carb. The fuel one, which you call the center seems pretty obvious. However, you mentioned that the right side (looking into the right side of the machine this would be closest to the front of the quad) should NOT have a hose going to it but that it should remain unblocked. You stated the the left one (closest to the jug, in this case) is where the vacuum line from the petcock should hook up.

Well, what if someone bought their LT80 torn down. And when they hooked everything up without prior LT80 experience, nor a manual, nor any references whatsoever and the only thing they did wrong was run the vacuum to the FRONT - aka RIGHT connection on the carb?

What would be the impending result?

Thanks,
ELTee8ee

Quick Reply: I Need a little more lt80 help.