Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton Viper 90R with reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Viper 90R with reverse?

I know a few have this one, so I just want to know how they are doing. I'm torn between the Pred 90 and the Eton 90R. I like the fact the Eton has reverse and you can have the lights put on it. But how dependable are they? I have a 01 Scrambler 90, and it still runs great, so the Polaris one has treated me very good. Also what's the best prices I can get for either of them?

Old 04-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Pred-90 brand has much more suspension and has the "Power Rangers" body style. Many kids like its looks. The '03 are very solid units but the '04 has many reports of Oil Tank tabs & Gas tank tabs breaking. The lack of Polaris's formal acknowledgement of this engineering design flaw is frustrating many '04 Pred-90 owners. I'm sure over time, Polaris will formally acknowledge the mass problems with their broken tabs, and perform a global "free fix" for it. If wondering, we own an '03 Pred-90. It's been "press on its gas and go" since day one.

I've read many posts of folks with '03 & '04 Viper 90s having great reliability and structure success. The disc brakes are much better then the drum brakes on the Pred-90. The E-Ton has a thicker drive chain. The Viper 90R is a new brand this year. The small amount of folks who have this brand really like its "R" feature. Although its true "real weight" is under unvestigation by a few. Given more time, I'm sure more new Viper 90R owners will provide their feedback as well. Only time can prove how reliable any NEW brand or NEW year really is. If you don't need large amount of suspension and feel "R" is very important, go with the Viper 90-R. If E-Ton would increase their suspension travel (to the same levels as the Pred-90), I'm sure their "R" version would dramatically increase their market share.

If wondering, you can also install a customized light on the Pred-90 brand.
For more details, surf: Press Here

For best prices, you'll have to `shop around`. Even within the same area, there could be a $200.00 range difference on either brand.

As a final comment, involve your "young rider" within your brand selection process. If he/she will be driving it, he/she should also be helping your select it. From a `body fit` and product choice perspective.

Hope this helps...

Old 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Contrary to the popular belief of the "R" in the name. The "R" stands for reverse, not racing. It is the Same as the 90, it just has reverse. We recently purchased our 2005 Eton Viper 90R. I like the electric start, and the reverse. I was not worried about the reliability issue after doing a little research. These things are not new, they have been making ATV's for years. Also a little comforting to have a local shop that is an Eton dealer so I know I can get parts. Then again, you can find anything on the internet if you don't have a local shop. We chose based on a lot of things. In person we compared it with the yamaha raptor 80/90 and it was very similar, and $1000 cheaper. The raptor does have shaft drive which is supposed to be better, but chain drive is cheaper to repair. It comes with a skid plate already installed, the shocks are adjustable, the cdi is adjustable to a max speed of 27mph. Although we are looking for a way around the speed limiter all togther. Brakes are good. It rides great. I have a 98 warrior, and I don't mind riding the eton. It accelerates great. You will have a blast in loose dirt or gravel with the low end power. It has a buillt in safety feature that does not allow for going in and out of drive or reverse without the clutch/brake being applied. My only complaint is the rear shock is pretty stiff.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

the predator 90 now has reverse for 05'. I've been looking into both of these models for my nephew. the polaris predator is only $100 more than the eton viper 90R so I am leaning more that way but kinda like the viper too. what do you guys recommend.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

The Viper should be considerably cheaper than than Predator, more than 100.00. Unless you got a really good price on the Polaris. From what I've seen they are about the same quality. Price is the driving force for buying a Viper. The main thing I would look for is that the dealer carries parts and is close, and cares about their customers. I've read posts that state the r models don't hold up when raced.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Both quads are a good choice. They both have reverse but the predator has a better suspension, it is also 1 inch wider and longer.
The 05 Viper also has reverse you can get a light kit for about $30.00 extra dollars. I like the idea of the cdi limiter being adjustable 0-7.

If it was me looking to buy it would be a hard choice. We have had our problems w/the 03 predator, but those issue's seemed to have been dealt with.

There is also a a weight gain for the 05 predator 90...about 30 pds. but you have to remember the reverse adds a little weight and the inch gain on the lenght and the width.

I would go with the predator...or maybe even the trx90 after seeing what icracing has done to their trx90's.

Goodluck