Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

best 125 or 100cc for adult and kids

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 125 or 100cc for adult and kids

upgrading from a suzuki lt50a 2k model, been used 6 times, i want a bigger quad for my kids as the one we have now is too small for my 14yr old, but perfect for my 7 yr old, what is the best bike to upgrade too, i want to be able to get on with my 7 yr old and have some fun too, and also restrict it till my 7yr old can handle it, also what kind of speed increase will we get going to a 100cc or a 125cc, will it be drasticly faster or just pull better generally, what is the top speed for a quad of this capacity, thanks for all the help guy's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you want to stay in the 100-125 range the only ATV's I can think of are the Yamaha Grizzly 125 automatic or the E-ton 150 automatic. My wife has an E-ton 150 and loves it. My daughter who is 13 also rides it and it suits her fine.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

In addition to proper "fit" for your younger child - consider the ability of the child to get out from under a larger quad. It happens alot. There isn't enough cost savings in the world to offset the loss of a child who cant get the thing off their chest so they can breath.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulling yourself out from under a quad???? This is an interesting idea to consider.

My Arctic Cat 500i is 695 lbs (dry weight). Objects become 1/3 to 5 times heavier when in motion. I'm 240 lbs. If my quad flips at 20 mph and it lands ontop of me, it would probably weigh more then 1,000 lbs (in motion). I don't think my little ribs would handle 1/2 of ton. Perhaps we should ban all adult quad bikes as well!!! Now, lets apply the same weight in motion to one's body weight on snowmobiles, riding tractors, those huge 700cc (+) motocycles, etc. How about those golf carts flying over those greens and catching the corner of a sand pit??? Do you think those drivers could pull themselves out from under those motorized devices as well??? I don't think so!!!!

Like I said, very interesting idea...

Old 04-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Might want to check out the Yamaha Breeze.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Spike,

possibly the difference in risk is in the age / maturity factor in your simple excursion into rationalization land.

I have a very small airplane that a youngster would likely fit - maybe we should see how they do in that? It can do about 200mph. What the heck- lets let them fly commercial airliners by adding seat cushions so they can see out the windows! Hey - they fit!

No - what your missing completely is that young children are not capable of choosing appropriete risk or forecasting potential outcomes. Thats why we dont let children drive cars, fly airplanes or play with guns.

Adults are expected to opperate within reasonalble boundaries and with common sense - choosing what is the safe speed, how tightly to turn, how steep of a hill, how deep of water etc. Children are inherently challanged to make those types of decisions.

Regrets are those things you should have done - but didn't.

Old 04-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My neighbour comes over once a month and preaches to me about his religion. He tells me his religion "is the best" and if I don't follow, I'll pay for it at the end. Then he hands me a fluid that looks like cool-aid and tells me to drink it. mmmm... I don't think so!!! How can you compare a mini quad to a 200 mile hr airplane???? I'd never put my kid in the driver's seat of an airplane. Why would you???? Perhaps you should get a puppy, and think about how far over the edge you've gone this time.

All kidding aside... We are on the similar page. Maybe not the same paragraph but definately on the same page. Instead of focusing on the people who are thinking about purchasing a new mini, perhaps it would be more beneficial to lobby the CPSC within the following improvement areas:
- Make them wider - for less tippy.
- Make them longer - for less wheelies.
- Make them have both foot and hand brake lever system.
- Make them have remote kill switches (for the parent riding their quad beside their kid).
- Make them have "dial max RPM CDIs" like on the new E-Ton units.
- Make them have madatory daytime running lights.
- Make them all have flags / whips.
- Make all drivers take mandatory driving courses. Today, these courses are only optional.
- Make young drivers have re-tests every year (to flush out any bad habbits).
- etc.

And you are right about kids. There's some kids I'd never put on a quad - much less a peddle bike. And there's other kids the same age who drive their minis better and "safer" then some automotive drivers. Heck, there's one 12 year old kid we won't ride with anymore. He's so wild (even with his father watching), I don't want to witness how he's going to kill himself. That's how "too far over the edge" that kid is...

Like trying to stop the flow of water at the bottom of the falls..... The secret isn't trying to change the fast current at the bottom. Perhaps its more efficient to change the flow of the river at the top. Trying to apply the above safety suggestions might be good start...

Hope this assistance helps...

Old 04-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

in most flips you will fall off and the quad will go unless yur an idiot and hang on will its fliping

Old 04-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

WhoDatInDaMud

Please go away and stop trying to preach to us! I don't think anyone hear wants to listen to your banter about how bad ATV's are for our kids! We have all made the decision to allow our children to ride these and hopefully are taking the right precautions in doing so. My 5yo rides a 90cc and is quite good at it, that does not mean I EVER let him ride alone! Has he ever crashed his quad? Yes, actually he has crashed a few time but with the right equipment and the right supervision I accept the risks that putting him on a quad entail! I also think that spending as much quality time with my son is worth a few risks but remember all of them are at a minimum!!!

Chris

Old 04-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Quad Patrol

wayneob, take a look at the Suzuki Lt 160, we bought an '03 for my daughters. My Oldest was 13 when we bought it, (she is now 14). She fits well on it. Under controlled riding, my younger daughters 11 and 8 have rode it. It will be in the famiily for along time, it's large enough for new adult riders to take out when we have one with us.

Spike99, Interesting suggestions. Bottom line, when a parent(s) buys another quad for their child, they don't want to buy a new one every year or two, so they fall into the trap of buying one that is too big for the child. Really can't put all the blame on the manufacturers or CPSC, Parents need to be somewhere in the responsibility chain also.

Quick Reply: best 125 or 100cc for adult and kids