Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Questions for WhoDatInDaMud

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for WhoDatInDaMud

Yo Spike... You have it wrong there on those of us complaining about outsized kids and the "guidelines". First off, let me say that I support rules and regulations, and obeying the law. Secondly, I advocate everyone having to pass some sort of riding test to be able to ride on public lands. Third, I also believe in parental control.. and making wise decisions for our kids...

I do not feel that the guidelines should be applied accross the board without options. I also do not feel it is right to deny the safety course to a kid who needs the course, expecially if he is riding a "Kid sized" ATV. The bump in my son's case is not the size of the chassis, it is the size of the motor 80cc versus 50cc. The 50 will not pull him up a hill safely, and I feel it is unsafe for him to attempt a hill, only to get halfway up, then the quad stall out and he go sliding down the hill backwards, or forced to try and turn it around when he is already at a great disadvantage...

If the rules would allow for him to take the safety course, you would have no complaint form me...

But do not lump me into some generalization by comparing me to some hocky dad, or soccer mom etc.... you have it all wrong there.... my complaint is based on his denial, when in fact he is the target market for the safety course in the first place. I'd rather he learn good habits now when he is starting out, than to learn bad ones and have to break him of them in a couple years. I am also big enough to admit that I may not know everything... and because of that, I want him to have the course and learn from the pros..

I think that is what parenting is all about.... making what I think is a rational decision for my son....

Old 05-17-2004, 10:14 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Yo Spike... You have it wrong there on those of us complaining about outsized kids and the "guidelines". First off, let me say that I support rules and regulations, and obeying the law. Secondly, I advocate everyone having to pass some sort of riding test to be able to ride on public lands. Third, I also believe in parental control.. and making wise decisions for our kids...

So I've been riding for 27 years. Don't have a certificate. Your saying I shouldn't be allowed to ride on pulic land? Even though I can ride better than 90% of the people that visit this forum? Also, you say you support obeying laws, but you have your child on an oversized quad? Can't have it both ways. I think we're more alike than you want to admit.

One size doesn't fit all fellas. Never will. Government needs to focus on informing instead of regulating.

I could agree on limiting the weight of an atv based on the weight of the rider. To me, that's makes sense.

ps- You chasten my child you better get ready for a tongue lashing of your own (or a good old country whooping). And I'm always right beside her to give it to you.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...You have it wrong there on those of us complaining about outsized kids and the "guidelines"...... mmmm???? I wasn't comparing you to a Hockey Dad. I was implying "the media" and the authorities who follow the law to the exact letter. After all, they are always quoting "our kids". Many of these same folks don't even have kids with an ATVs. Yes, the media and their biased BS blows me away... Let's get past the implied finger pointing thing.... This is becoming very "old school / very fast"...

-----------------

There is a way our online ATV Instructors can help us. Can they post some more info (with a new subject line) a list of the many places across our country where "we the parants" can sign our kids on a ATV Youth training course. Names of reputible companies and their URLs would be great. If the readers on this forum chose to sign their kid up, that's great. If one place won't all our "bigger then normal" kid to use the appropriate sized quad, then we can contact the next place on your list. If a parents doesn't feel their kid needs a course (or even a re-fresh course on their 3rd year of driving), that's their choice. At least you've informated the majority on this forum how and where they can increase their safety Driving skills. To me, that would be great thing to contribute to this forum...

Old 05-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You need to read my comments again raptorlegs.... his machine is a kid's sized quad... the only difference being a slightly larger engine and it has gears. It is not an adult sized machine, and in the state where I live, we are NOT breaking any laws... the guidelines are not legally binding in all states, although the safety council applies it as if it were. I DO NOT advocate putting kids on an adult sized machine.

And yes, I think it is time that some sort of national license program should be initiated. I think that would be a positive step in establishing some sort of baseline standard that we hold people to. With the HP that some of these machines are putting out, and the light weight associated with them, I feel it is time. The biggest single problem we have right now in this industry is the lack of a common denominator. If I want to take a trip outside my state, I have to check all over to make sure we are in compliance. If there was one standard, then it would make it a lot easier to monitor... I for one would have no problem having to take some sort of test... if it meant that it helped the sport grow, and would mean that the safety instruction was available to all who asked for it.

Most of what I think people are harping about is related to the under 16 crowd... I like one state's rules of making sure they don't get their driver's license at 16 if they disobey the ATV rules... That would be a serious deterrant to bad behavior...

Not everyone will agree with me.. thats OK... You don't have to agree with what I said.. it is my opinion.. take it for what it's worth...

Old 05-17-2004, 11:55 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
You need to read my comments again raptorlegs.... his machine is a kid's sized quad... the only difference being a slightly larger engine and it has gears. It is not an adult sized machine, and in the state where I live, we are NOT breaking any laws... the guidelines are not legally binding in all states, although the safety council applies it as if it were. I DO NOT advocate putting kids on an adult sized machine....

You can voice your opinion as long as you give me the same curtousy. Arguing different views can change all of our perceptions. It's a good thing.

If they adopt that law tomorrow to coincide with CPSC guidelines then you'd be willing to sell the quad? I wouldn't. Personally, I ride on private land so I don't give a rip what the law says.

I agree that an 8 year old kid has no business on a 600 lb utility quad. But, I also think most 13 year olds can handle a 250ex or blaster or something similar. AND I know a 6 year old can handle a 93.5cc because I've got one that does it with proper supervision. I understand your gripes about the safety course, but I also think focussing on safety courses is ludicrous. A sticker doesn't mean squat. You're crazy if you think you can even take a 15 year old kid with zero experience, let him take a safety course, then turn him loose unsupervised. He's would still have a high risk of injury. You're beating around the real issue.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with parental supervision we dont let our boys ride out of our site on their 110 yamoto so we finally went out and got us a 01 bigbear 400 4x4. Which now the boys really enjoy that cause we can go trail riding.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

this is sorta off topic, but in line with some earlier comments. RE: tree-huggers. Washington State has a huge logging economy. During Clinton's early years, they found a spotted owl in the forest. a huge area was declared no logging, and cost 1000's of jobs. locals were quite vigilant, had big signs painted on 4x8 sheets of plywood, plus signs on trucks indicating stuff like, "This family supported by logging $$", etc..

My fave: a bumper sticker... "Due to a shortage of toilet paper , you'll now have to wipe your a$$ with the spotted owl" !! I love it!! Where does toilet paper come from again? Oh yeah, trees!