Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How remove bolt on clutch drum for LT80?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How remove bolt on clutch drum for LT80?

sorry, no idea how it got posted twice.
1)How do I remove the nut holding the clutch drum on?
2)Do I need to touch the front sprocket type cover to do service, or is everything under the rear drum?

Do i have to get the speciality rotor pulling tool?I'm too tired, i'll post for more info later.

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I use an impact wrench. really don't know how to do it other than that.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have an impact wrench, you can use a strap wrench and wrap around the pulley to hold it then use a ratchet and a very quick smack with a hammer to loosen. I took one off by just holding the clutch/pulley by hand (helper was needed) and doing the quick smack with hammer.
You do realize the big inside nut is left hand thread?

Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

asfasasu, I musta been way too tired and /or stunned last night. I did not realize it was lefthand thread, but now that you mention it, my Suzuki manual said it was clockwise, which...DUH, is lefthand!! And I was looking at the bolt wondering the same thing at midnight! Also, great idea with the strap wrench, I have one of those, but my belt is so crappy, I bet it'll just stretch or break(on the strap wrench). Wouldn't the whole drum just spin with an impact? I have air.

Do you bother removing the front sprocket/cover to remove belt, or do any other maintenance/servicing? On that, they show you have to hold the other side to prevent the sprocket from turning.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The sprocket/hub turning does happen, but it only takes your other hand to hold it. If you have air, you have it made!
I didn't understand that you were wanting the left hand thread bolt off.
Sprocket cover....what's that??? hehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

ya, I figured it was the wrong part name. Whatever the part is at the front of the belt...it has teeth to mesh with the pull-start and cooling fins on it (maybe it pumps air through the outlet tube at the front??). Does that need to be removed for belt removal, or any other maintenance/service issues?

Glad to see you're out there LT80, cuz I'll probably ask a buncha questions once I get clutch drum off. like, should I remove 2 rollers, or will I notice any difference doing that? Will removing 2 rollers have any down side, cause any other problems?

I've heard some people talk about flat spots on the rollers...., are those obvious to see?

Old 06-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Yes you should check the rollers. To do this you indeed need to remove the front fixxed face (this is a regular lefty~loosy thread). You then pull the sliding face off,remove screws and remove the cover. You will find a greasy mess. clean and inspect where the roller slides, on the plate that covers them also.You will certainly see the flay spots if there are any.
Removing 2 rollers may help holeshot. If it effects top end, simply put the rollers back in. You should be fine w/4 rollers.Use a high temp grease. I use a fingertip of grease on each roller.
Sand the surfaces where the belt rides with #80 grit sandpaper (160 grit canadian..HAHAHAHAHA) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

LOL, 160 Canadian. That's only if we were converting currency, $80 US=$160 Canadian.

Asfasasu, the clutch drum is RH thread!! I looked back in the manual to see where I saw "clockwise", but I couldn't find the reference. Musta been way too tired last night.....but when else do you get free time to work on this stuff? I'm surprised no one else caught that. Maybe you guys thought the thread changed once you got north of the 49th parallel.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Actually, it's Australia where things go the opposite way, just flush a toilet and you'll see.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The clutch drum looks new inside, what else am i supposed to be looking for on the clutches?

Okay, so you're saying the fixed face is LH thread? Do I need to pull apart the right side of the engine to hold the flywheel, to remove the fixed face?

BTW, thanks for all your help. It's really appreciated.

Old 06-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The fixxed face is a regular right handed thread. (righty~tighty...lefty~loosy) And with an impact it is easily loosened.
The left handed thread nut is what holds the rear clutch pack onto the rear clutch post. You shouldn't need to take that one off(it's like a 1 1/4" socket size).
Under the rear drum, you can sand those pads also, just use minimal pressure and only sand the black spots.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

The pads look good, I think. Didn't notice any black spots.

1)Just behind the fixed face (between the face and the roller cage) there is a medium sized washer. It appears my belt has been riding on this washer, as there's a small groove getting worn into my belt. The groove isn't very deep, maybe 1/64", but you can clearly see it and feel it when you run your finger over it. Otherwise, belt looks great. I see there are directional arrows on the belt. So, should i replace belt,OR, can I just flip it around? What do you make of this washer wearing a groove in it?

2)The roller cage had dry, cake, almost like mud, as soon as I took off the rear cover. I guess that's just old grease. It had no grease on the rollers at all. There are obvious flat spots on some rollers. I didn't really check all of them yet, but do I need to replace those? And what about the cage the rollers slide in, does that have to be replaced, because it looks pretty scored up from the dry rollers scraping against it?

How often should this be serviced in the future?

3)Air is GREAT. Spun the nuts off like a hot kniife through butter. But what do you torque these nuts back on to (i.E.-60 ft. lbs)?Or just a quick blast with the impact gun?

4)I posted a few months ago about a lack of top end speed. I've rebuilt top end of engine. I recently set the throttle needle to highest up setting (leanest), as my plug kept getting fouled, and I only had 1 setting left on needle. Looked like there were 5 different settings available on needle. Actually, it was quite hilarious, because the throttle body must have twisted 180 degrees when I slid it back in carb and tried to twist tighten it.. I didn't check throttle before I started bike and it started wide open with me sitting on it. There were a whole bunch of adults watching as we were camping. I think they're still rolling on the ground laughing.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Okay, that was a lot of info to ask a simple question. Do you think this clutch and roller servicing will restore my top speed?

Thanks for your patience, expertise and assistance. It's sincerely appreciated.

Warren

Quick Reply: How remove bolt on clutch drum for LT80?