Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton smoking

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton smoking

Were a little puzzled what this could be ..........
First off... Originally, something went threw the mtor when it was in stock form,so when reordering parts ,we decided to go ahead and get him a 70cc kit(with clutch kit also) since he races.
Everything went on without a hitch. Except the head is a 90 head vs. a 70. They wre on backorder so the place we ordered threw sid to use the 90 head for now and when the new one came in we could swap it out,but that alot of other people use the 90 and should be ok..As far as a pipe goes, we are still in stock form awaitng a pipe to be made due to the fact that the one we ordered DOES NOT FIT >[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So heres what we got going ......
First we tried it with oil injection ,started it a couple of times never rode it just started it,and decided to pull it off to see if we could get a more proper mix(36:1).
The first plug reading ran it about 300feet after letting it warm up, checked the plug and it was Dark grey/to almost black but was VERY dry. It runs fine from top to bottom, starts well, but while your riding it, it smokes heavily and when you shut it off, a slow drifting smoke still cont. to come out of the pipe and not a normal Exaust smell(hard to explain in words ) its the heavy smoking and bad smell that has us concerned ...Could it be becuase we still have the stock pipe on???? Maybe the 90 head ??? No one can seems to figure this one out that we have called so far......Any help would be grealty appreciated

BTW.. We tried a few different oil mixures ..
We had Amsoil in the oil injection and we tired my Daughters race mix ,and we went to 36:1 with Castor 927

We cant seem to get any info on spark plugs either

Old 07-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Eton smoking

If I had your problem and didn't know who to turn to, I'd give the following folks a call:
- Billy Holt @ WRH Racing
- Greg Peak at www.dirtrides.com
- Dave McCloskey @ BNC Racing
- LT80 - Jack Moore

These folks are specialized in racing engines, mixing of different heads / pipes / carbs / etc. If you surf previous postings within this forum, you'll probably come across a few of their posts. Very knowledgeable folks who could probably help you resolve your "weird burning" and engine tweaking problem.

Old 07-06-2004, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eton smoking

thank you for the reply//////[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Actually I already planned on talking to Billie tomorrow since he is the one were getting the race pipe from, just thought I would get some ideas here until then.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Tina

Old 07-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Eton smoking

These machines don't like the stock pipe. Once the pipe comes in, you'll be better able to judge your motor and it's efficiency.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Eton smoking

Originally posted by: LT80
These machines don't like the stock pipe. Once the pipe comes in, you'll be better able to judge your motor and it's efficiency.
looks like due to lack of Compression the head isnt matching up properly so Hetricks is modifying one for us also the lack of a pipe s.... I guess WRH wont have a pipe for us in time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] (darn!)So were gonna give the Tehcnigas a try( t Hetricks had one for sale) We need one ASAP so we will see how it works out...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]