Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

saw an 8 y/o riding Kodiak 400SE

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saw an 8 y/o riding Kodiak 400SE

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
we went on a ride this weekend. saw a kid around 8-9 y/o riding a 400 Kodiak Special Edition, with some type of seroiusly aggresive mud treads. It appeared to be his atv as i watched him and dad unload, and my 9 y/o son's jaw dropped and the bottom lip was quivering... " why can't I ride one of those?" Then kid brags about his riding through mud bog that no adults got through, making my son greener.

Then it struck me how not only dad was setting bad example, his son was setting an even worse example to all other kids around his age.

we were in a dry, loose dirt/gravel area. Mud tires don't perform aswell on that stuff. I just thought it was an accident waiting to happen. I see we're closer to ride regulations than we realize here. One only needs to read these forums to see what's happening everywhere else, and know it's "Coming soon to a town near you".

that kid will stop braggin when he trys gettin through some mud that turns out to be 3 foot deep...as he trys to get off and walk to the side it goes up over his head...hm...yeah i agree with the getting thrown around part too...im 14 and 150 lbs...i get thrown around when i go over bumpys areas too fast...i guess the video clip shows what happens to a 80lbs 9 year old who does it

Old 08-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

hm..i just read the last posts...snappy...i've heard in quebec the people are very friendly about atving...does quebec have different laws about them?...because they are kinda seperate from the rest of canada right?

Old 08-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

Quebec is a lot bigger province, they have a lot more area to go bikin, and harder to regulate. They aren't seperate from Canada, although a lot of them wish they were. Quebec is mosty french and they feel that they are better than the rest of canada, and want to seperate and become their own country......... which is the stpidest thing I've ever heard. Its like Texas trying to seperate from the US because they have a southern accent. I have heard they are easier on bikers though.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Last weekend I saw Kids on bansheeeeeeeees at sand lake oregon. Not stock ones but pumped up ones. The little ones were 10 and 11, and as I was talking to them I was impressed at first but then I realized that even though they physically could handle the bikes they really weren't mature enough to make the right choices while riding. They also had no parental or legal gaurdians there with them, they were out there with there 15 year old brother on his pumped sheeee. Can you imagine taking a casual ride through the dunes with your family and having one or even maybe all of those kids running into you at a high speed? Would they make the right and mature choice to avoid hitting you or your family? These are definitly reasons for regs even though I hate to admit reg'n anything that we should be able to do ourselves. My kids are small for there ages 7+8 but they both ride lt80s but only after they mastered there 50 and showed an accetable level of there maturity for there ages. Am I going out of the guidlines,yes, but at a much more reasonable step, my kids ARE ALWAYS SUPERVISED. One last thing the kids that were at the dunes were wearing athletic shoes shorts t-shirts and NO HELMETS, but they did wear goggles. LOL Guess we should give the parents a medal for providing at least one piece of the equipment.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: snappynuts
Quebec is a lot bigger province, they have a lot more area to go bikin, and harder to regulate. They aren't seperate from Canada, although a lot of them wish they were. Quebec is mosty french and they feel that they are better than the rest of canada, and want to seperate and become their own country......... which is the stpidest thing I've ever heard. Its like Texas trying to seperate from the US because they have a southern accent. I have heard they are easier on bikers though.
Tabernacle, hosti, chalice! hey , the only way we can swear on these forums is in french! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] well put, but you forgot to mention they suck the rest of the country dry financially, and always want more, and never get enough.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

I made a post on here about a week ago about a little kid riding on a banshee unsupervised . thread was "how old for a banshee" .. the kid could barely reach the clutch on this thing ...

Makes me shake my head and wonder what idiots some parents are ...

Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lord-tunderin-jeezes there by, how are tings on da rock? is it winter yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . you can have the last laugh, cuz we're into a week of rain, maybe to be followed by another.

yep, the parents can be pretty stunned. they don't think about the weight of a big quad squishing a kid. 2 different atv accidents in Alberta last week, both fatals. a 13 y/o girl doubling her friend hit a tractor. the other one was a guy tryin to cross water and got swept away in the current and drowned. last time i heard a story like that, it was ice flow jumpin in Newfoundland. you probably have lotsa scary stories about stuff like that huh?

Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: confusedbuyer
lord-tunderin-jeezes there by, how are tings on da rock? is it winter yet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . you can have the last laugh, cuz we're into a week of rain, maybe to be followed by another.

yep, the parents can be pretty stunned. they don't think about the weight of a big quad squishing a kid. 2 different atv accidents in Alberta last week, both fatals. a 13 y/o girl doubling her friend hit a tractor. the other one was a guy tryin to cross water and got swept away in the current and drowned. last time i heard a story like that, it was ice flow jumpin in Newfoundland. you probably have lotsa scary stories about stuff like that huh?
First off, coodo's on the excellent dialect!! Are you a displaced Newfie?

Nope, not winter .. yet. We actually have been getting a few decent winter's for a change this past couple of years, so I ain't complainin .. as for the rain, if you don't want it send it down here because we need it badly. Reservoirs are approaching 10' below normal limits .. it's been a really really dry summer.

Yeah, those poor kids down in Pouch Cove .. three of them I believe wasn't it?

Old 08-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Tabernacle, hosti, chalice! hey , the only way we can swear on these forums is in french! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] well put, but you forgot to mention they suck the rest of the country dry financially, and always want more, and never get enough.
hahaha nice nice. Yeah I agree on that one too. Not all are like that, but a lot are. If you speak english in Quebec City, you are the devil.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im not defending the behavior you saw...but i feel the need to present some info from the other side.
In MN, if your 12 year old takes a state approved rider class, and they wear a helmit and ride single, and are with mom or dad( on another quad), its legal. My 12 year old daughter, is small and could pass for a 10 year old, but shes almost 13. Ive shown her the right way, to be responsible, and that she is never alowed to drive alone, and to stay where she belongs...on the trail. We go during the week, so we have the trails to ourselves, and dont have to dodge the sportys. She has a good head on her shoulders, and makes some surprisingly good judgements while riding. She drives a kodiak 450, and can reach both brakes, and knows how to use them. she knows how the gps works and can use it to navigate. Ive imposed a 20 mph speed limit for now, and when she has more experience, itll get higher. I would rather have her out there driving than some of the 20 somethings Ive seen ride.
There are plenty of dangerous activities out there, but most important is parent involvement, supervision and education.And making good decisions, regarding risk vs reward.
It all starts and ends with in our own families, we have to be responsible for our own children.
Ive tried talking to some of the parents, of the bad behaving kids on quads( if and when I can locate them). But, Ill be honest with you, some people can be very scarey, who knows what the he11 they are thinking. Ive pretty much given up on talking about serious things, with strangers.
For the most part, im in agreement with confusedbuyer and Dragginbutt, however, as long as its legal for my daughter to ride,with all the restrictions, were doing it.
Dragginbutt, you did the right thing with your boy..that was me 30 years ago, and thats what my old man did for me, and ive thanked him many times for doing it.

Quick Reply: saw an 8 y/o riding Kodiak 400SE