Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

can i get around the california red sticker

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i get around the california red sticker

dvrack, By putting the wrong registration on your bike is only asking to be cited. Not only that, but, you run the risk of having your quad towed. I guess to some it might be worth it. I know I've done a few tows myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Ride safe[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 03:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have never seen a Ranger do more than make sure that the bike has a green sticker,if they run the vin it will show the bike to be currenly registered in California as you will need to still keep the regstration on the red sticker bike current they don't run the green sticker as they are pulled out of drawer and handed to you .

Old 07-28-2004, 03:50 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: dvrack
I have never seen a Ranger do more than make sure that the bike has a green sticker,if they run the vin it will show the bike to be currenly registered in California as you will need to still keep the regstration on the red sticker bike current they don't run the green sticker as they are pulled out of drawer and handed to you .

If you feel this is the way the system works, then, you have been misinformed. You have only run into lazy officers. But, hey, it seems to be working for you. Ride safe

Old 07-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

They don't log green stickers.....

Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 AM
Quad Patrol

Like I said, you have been misinformed. The green sticker is your license plate. No different then a car. other then, every other year, a new one is issued. What you are doing is a felony, which means., you could go to jail. But, hey, you keep doing what your doing, sooner or later, it will catch up to you. You'll probably only get cited and maybe get your quad towed. But, hey, like you said, "they don't log green stickers". I'm only trying to give helpful advise here, it's up to you to do what ever you want with it. I know that some riding areas, don't care about the red sticker law. They just want the money you pay at the gate for revenue purposes. Happy riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Uh Mr. Vaughn... I don't think it is wise to argure with a cop from your home state over a felony offense..... like he only has to look you up in the DMV records to pay you a visit and check the stickers and VINs to like bust you Dude... Not an arguement that you will win...

That's the nice thing about being older... once you reach a certain age, most judges figure they are not going to tech you any lessons any more..

Old 07-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

what is funny is that i never checked the sticker when it came in. the bike is a 2003 and i never put in on the bike and no one ever asked. i just pulled it out cause i was going to oregon, where it doesnt matter. i think i will leave the sticker off until someone asks. I have a toy hauler so no one ever looks inside when i go thru the gate of the riding places i go. When i get asked i will sell it and buy a pre 2002 model. that is the law now.

any model 2003 and newer with a 3 or c as the eighth digit is a red sticker. I know that a mass mailing went to our govenor "terminator" to recall the red sticker law, lets hope he does it.

Old 07-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Uh Mr. Vaughn... I don't think it is wise to argure with a cop from your home state over a felony offense..... like he only has to look you up in the DMV records to pay you a visit and check the stickers and VINs to like bust you Dude... Not an arguement that you will win...

That's the nice thing about being older... once you reach a certain age, most judges figure they are not going to tech you any lessons any more..
LMAO, alot of truth in that post Dragginbutt. I wouoldn't do that though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Like I posted, I only give friendly advice and it's up to whoever to do with it what they want.

tcornini, Your right, in Oregon Ca. reg. is no good. You need to re-register your quad in Oregon. It's like $10 for 2 years (if I remember correct) I took my quad up there 3 years ago, and the forest service stopped in camp and made sure we went to town and registered in Oregon. We were there for 3 weeks. Unknown, if you have to be there a few days before you need to register there.
I just don't understand what the big deal is about putting the sticker on your bike. All it's doing is making a inquiring mind deputy, like myself, conduct an investigation to make sure your bike isn't stolen, that it has current registration and a spark arrestor. Guess, it's just my personality to not push the envelope. Doing it right the first time and never having to look over my shoulder[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Happy Riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

The only way around the scumbag econazi rules that I've found is to own property in another state, and register the bikes there. Our BS laws don't apply to visitors.

Carefull- if your drivers license shows you to be a resident of Kalifornia, that could be a legal issue. You may need to check into getting a DL from whatever state you buy the property in.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Seems like alot of hassle to keep a two stroke. For once I am glad I live in Washington, Of course I am sure that Washington will soon follow, they allways try to do there best to eliminate any and all of those fun type of activities that we all enjoy.

Quick Reply: can i get around the california red sticker