Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

can i get around the california red sticker

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i get around the california red sticker

my sons predator 90 received a red sticker for a license tag(for those out of california it means it cant be ridden the summer) does anyone have any knowledge of how to get around this or do i need to just sell it.
california environmentalist suck

Old 07-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

I don't believe you can get around it. Anything 2003 or newer that isn't CARB certified gets the red. This pretty much means all two strokes and some high performance four strokes. There was a message on here some months ago about certain digits in the VIN number that determined if the machine was compliant or not.

BTW the restrictions apply only to public riding areas, not private property.

Old 07-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

that is just garbage, the dealer never told me. i was under the impression that is for 160's and above. now i put all these upgrade into it and i got to sell it. gotta buy him an older two stroke. california sucks

Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know lots of people in the same boat! People know I ride, so they ask me about bikes. I warn them about the Red Sticker thing, but they go to the dealership and some salesman talks them into some Red Sticker bike, and they buy it anyway.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Guess they want you all on thumpers....

Old 07-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

Man, that sucks! I sure am glad Im here in TX. No need for registration at all.

Old 07-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming soon to your neighborhood.............Next year, no matter where you live, you won't be able to buy a machine that doesn't meet federal emissions standards, so no more 2-strokes! The exception will be bikes for use on a "closed course".

Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: tcorini
my sons predator 90 received a red sticker for a license tag(for those out of california it means it cant be ridden the summer) does anyone have any knowledge of how to get around this or do i need to just sell it.
california environmentalist suck

The wife and I bought a used 1994 Polaris 400L sport 3 years ago. DMV initially sent us a red sticker[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Then shortly thereafter, they sent us a green sticker[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] to replace it. Fortunately for us, they made an error when they registered the bike in our name. I'll attach a link to a web page about information on the red sticker and if yours applies.
Here it is;
Text

Good Luck

Old 07-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Lack of registration can have it's good points and bad... If you ever attempt to take your unregistered machines to another state where they do register them, you are in for a lot of fun... All I can say is good luck.... and make sure you take some official document that proves you have paid sales tax on your machine... either via the DMV/county tax office or your dealer via the sales contract paperwork... otherwise you might find yourself owing some sales tax..... Been there, done that.... not pretty.

The government is clamping down on 2 strokes period. Boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, and now ATV's are feeling the pinch... it won't be long until the high pitched wail of a racing 2 stroke and the smell of klotz in the morning will all be a thing of the past....

Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

The wrong way around the California red sticker (but it works) Go on a site like craigslist.org find a old Piece of crap dirtbike or quad that is beat to hell doesnt run and can be just a frame but has registration transfer it in your name and slap your green sticker on the polaris. Is it wrong yea but if they check it and they wont you say you put the wrong sticker on the bike. I boght a xr80 parts bnike with registration and it worked for me.
just my .02Dave

Quick Reply: can i get around the california red sticker