Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What to do about a bully parent at the track?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do about a bully parent at the track?????

what ever happened to racing for fun? cmon guys its a bunch of little kids for sakes!

Old 07-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Quad Patrol

Parents are getting more and more aggressive while attending our "kids" sporting events. We, as parents, do need to show some restraint while cheering on our kids. Unfortunately, not everyone has the control that needs to be display. In the end, the kids lose.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: learning2fly
If there is any truth to the last post, sounds like the race director needs to take some action against one or both parties. If they can't settle it then the only solution may be to ban one or both parties from the racetrack. A little crude, but it resolves the problem. No more fighting at the racetrack.
From somebody that was apparenly there, I'm sure this could be a pretty accurate depiction of the incident. But not being there, none of us really know.

To me, it doesn't matter what the truth is or who started it.
The fact is we are all ADULTS, or at least suppose to be. But that is not always the case.
I won't dwell on this and go into a big speech, many good things have already been said.
My opinion is base on years of playing, watching, refereeing, and coaching sports. I have 3 kids playing 2 or 3 sports each.

Todays behavior by parents and also some athletes/racers is definately more aggressive and confrontational than when I was growing up.

The bottom line is that crap doesn't belong at the track or anywehre else, period, end of story. NO EXCEPTIONS.

It doesn't matter whether it is adults or kids racing, a soccer game, baseball game, etc. etc. etc.

learning2fly, <u>"A little crude, but it resolves the problem."</u>
Not crude at all, that should be the rule.
That behavior (aggressive, threatening, abusive, assaults, POOR SPORTSMANSHIP) should be grounds for immediate removal from the property, field, track, or wherever you are.

I know it may happen sometimes, but those running the show should handle the situation swiftly and sternly every time.
If the owners, promoters, referees, handle every situation this way, just maybe people will get the idea that crap will not be put up with. Kick 'em out or DQ them for that day. Allow them back only with the understanding that if it happens again they will not be welcome back. 2 strikes your out, period.

I have pretty strong opinions about this, as we all should. But, I said above I wouldn't go into a big speech. So I better stop here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I think you all get my point, and it sounds like everybody here is along the same lines.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't remember the specifics,
But I just heard about about a referee who shot and killed a soccer coach and injured others during a soccer game. Can't remember what country that was in, not sure if I've even heard of it before ??. Sounds like the referee was carrying the gun during the whole game.
You know it's bad when the referee feels that he has to carry a gun for protection during the game. I'm sure we've all heard the numerous storiesof how back soccer can be around the world. Some of these other countries take that sport pretty dang seriously. I grew up playing for 18 years, and played in different countries, it is amazing. Enough of that, sorry.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh ya,

Lastly, there is absolutely no excuse for things to get physical. The only option when that happens to call the police, and follow through. How do you know this same person hasn't done this before, or will again? By pressing charges etc., will show a history when it happens again. More ammunition for the courts to take action, hopefully.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quad4Fun,

I'm reading your post and something caught my eye. It was red and on the left side of the screen. Your line "Lastly, there is absolutely no excuse for things to get physical" and watching that guys head get blown off made me laugh. I'm not looking for a debate, just wanted to comment that your annimated avatar made me laugh... And I aggree that violence does NOT belong even within an eye-sight of a kid's (or even adult's) sporting event.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:55 AM
Quad Patrol

Spike, I was thinking along the same lines as I read his post, and then I saw Osama's head get obliterated. But, you know what, that is not violence. That's life as a terrorist&gt; Only good terrorist is a dead terrorist. But, violence does not have a place at an sporting events. It's suppose to be entertainment.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. I was a hockey coach last year and a baseball coach this year, and fully understand the many emotional battles between parents, officials and coaches. In my experience in competitive sports, its always the parents who are the spark that start the fires. We had more problems with the parents (who sit up in the grand stands quoting rules of the game, statistics, how things should be, etc.) compared to the kids. I love teaching kids how to better their skills. 99% of them just want to go out and have fun. Yes - they'd like to win but if they don't, they all realize they can try again tomorrow. We can learn a lot from each of our kids. Yes, the "blown up guy" made me laugh.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quad4fun, that's the BEST avatar I've seen. LMAO. I read nothing into your post vs. the avatar. I only wish it would come to fruition.

terd, I trust you followed the Junta case closer than me. I must have picked and chose what I remembered, or what others told me. I'm a good,loyal canadian hockey fanatic ( hey, you remember the name Cam Neely? i played against his brother Scott and cousin in Men's league) and shoulda followed the case closer. correct me if I'm wrong, but Junta was a big dude, and the other guy was relatively frail, and it was an unfortunate, badly timed, misplaced punch that caused the other man's death. Reminds me of the famous civil case, "thin skull" defense. The defendent fractured plaintiff's skull with a punch and said he wouldn't have punched him so hard if he knew his skull was so thin. (I'm sure that's what Junta thinks too). Judge said too bad, you take your victim as you find them.

NONE of this excuses the actions, and your post was pretty blunt and sobering: one kid watched his dad die, the other watched his dad kill... pretty savage, pretty harsh .It really got me thinking. How many times has it been said how fragile life is? Draggin, you sound like a monster size guy. if you lose it (which I hope you don't), you could easily unintentionally cause someones demise. luckily, I'd have a tough time breaking a wet kleenex with a punch, so I'm not gonna hurt anyone. I'm sure these things start off with no intention of killing, but serious damage or death is always a remote risk. Who wants that on their shoulders? how do you think Junta felt after? Think AHEAD, not after.

terd and LT80, your posts reminded me, it takes 2 to tangle. AND, thanks LT80 for the third side to the story.

someone said we need security or police at a kids quad race. what a sad commentary that is on our own failures to control or police ourselves. the aggressors should be shamed by the masses. Involving police is a waste of police time/resources.... it should be shut down by intervening neutral parties way before the gloves are dropped. why does everyone else watch and then over-analyze after? we all have 20/20 hindsight.

Old 07-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one last thing. watch The Bad News Bears again (the first movie). When i was a kid i laughed at all the juvenille gags and humor. when i watched it as an adult, I couldn't believe how well they portrayed the parents win-at-all-costs attitude. maybe I didn't think about it back then because most parents acted like that back then. are they still the same now?are we just doomed to repeat our parents failures? i hope not. Isn't history supposed to teach us?

sorry for the sermon.

Quick Reply: What to do about a bully parent at the track?????