Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt80 couple of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt80 couple of questions.

I was wondering what size tires everyone else is running on their LT's for MX. We have been running 18x10 on rear and stock on front. So why is everyone else at the track running these narrow 16" tires. They seem to be the same size tires all around. Is it possible to get those style tires for the LT and if so where?

Also Jack posted about trimming the blocks on the Works shocks. Has anyone tried it yet and how much?

One more. Anyone purchased the chain tensioner from ebay yet? How well does it work?

thanks.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

We run Nankang 16x6.5x8's for MX. Best tire made. I hate the holeshot style,I think they are too stiff and contribute to the cases cracking. Parts unlimited sells em. approx 30$
The mid-west mini tensioner has been bought, tried, wore out. The swivel joint is alum. to alum. and wears out quickly.The chain doesn't sit in the middle of the roller either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

The mid-west mini tensioner has been bought, tried, wore out. The swivel joint is alum. to alum. and wears out quickly.The chain doesn't sit in the middle of the roller either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][/quote]

I was going to get one of these, but it sounds like a POS. What are you running now, or are you even using a chain tensioner?

Old 08-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT80 or Fishslab have some great photos of home-made chain tensioners. try PMing either of them.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that most people run the smaller tires to lower the overall height of the quad. Most mx tracks don't require much ground clearance. They can lower the quad and make it alittle more stable with the smaller tires. Aslo, the smaller tires have less rolling resistance. It does not take as much power to make them go. There fore they can use this power other places. (getting it to run faster)

I have a set of Holeshots (18x6.5x8) on stock wheels that we have run at the track. (both mx and xc) I really like the tire. They are stiffer, which does not like jumping as well but they do corner alot better than others. They are just to short for trail riding. We are running 18x9.5x8 Shredders now and they are fine. They look big and mean but they tend to spin alot more than the Holeshots. I know LT80 likes the other "stock: type tires, but they seem to roll to much for us while cornering, and they have not held up to well in our woods. The stiffer tires do corner better and hold up well, but they our heavy (compared to the stockers) And don't fles much making them ride alot stifer.

Our gearing was pretty simple. We have run the stock gearing with the Shredders and the stock tires. I switch to a 12tooth front for the Holeshots. We do not have a track near us that we can open out LT up on with stock gearing let alone need more speed. Quickness is what I've been tring to get out of our LT. I do think I might try an 11 tooth the next time we run a mx race, just to see what happens.

If your interested in buying some almost brand new holeshots on stock wheels I have 2 that I would be willing to sell pretting cheap.