Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Whats the best mini for MX????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best mini for MX????????

Originally posted by: sam
WhoDat....., your scaring me LOL. Im aware a little, the site you posted was helpfull. He might not be able to even race until hes older. I see your credits as a instructor, what is your experience seeing kids riding do they seem that competent on atvs. my son rode that walmart atv since he was 4 till he was 7, crashed maybe twice. the klx hes got 1 yr he has crashed maybe 10 times. you see what im getting at. but i gess us as consumers dont protest these unrealistic limmits we go to live w/ them. if I dont get him on one for the experience he wont be able to compete as good when he gets older. hes alot more confidant on the quad ( maybe thats one of the problems) than on his KLX, but hes crashed more on the bike where he hasn't on the quad. most of the races I would enter him in would be fair races, I think they are more lax on the laws for kids ages. I do agree on getting a training cetf. B4 they are aloud to race/ ride. but the age requirements/ limmits are foolish. JMO
Hey - I'm not judging anyone - I'm just the messenger.

My buddy Pauls son Ryan is as good on a quad as anyone else and Georges son Andy could out ride his three older brothers easily. Andy is dead and Ryan lost a lot of flesh. Each was on oversized quads for their age because they could handle it - and each was so good that the parents didn't feel in a danger any longer for them to ride without supervision. There have been 3 other serious accidents in the last year. But note - these 5 young people all live within 4 miles of me. Point is - being good sometimes means bigger jumps, faster quads, less supervision and harder impacts. I visited with Paul after the accident - he said exactly the same thing every other parent has told me "it wasn't worth it - riding those things is not worth the price the kids have to pay when things go wrong".

I personally agree with the professional associations, CPSC and lawmakers in that children are being placed unnecessarily at risk by parents putting them on equipment they are not able to handle either in strength or developmentally in the arena of good decision making. I use to ask parents if they would let their child fly my small biplane - I think most over 10 years olds would fit and be able to reach the controls. But many people didn't see the similarity in that comparison - or they did and it stung to much. My point was only that because they make small motor toys - its doesn't mean that all the kids have the skills and are ready for them.

In Minnesota we have a pretty good program of education, testing and demonstration of basic riding skills for youthful riders. I have had over 100 kids go through the program. I think the State has done about all it can to let those who pass have access to more powerful quads. But it isn't perfect. The two boys first mentioned here - they both had their safety certificates. I guess thats proof that training alone is not the total answer - kids just seem to find the worst possible opportunity to make the worst decisions.

I saw that farm ATV exception. Go figure.

Old 08-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

And I was expecting to read all about one brand being better than another. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
I think being aware of the laws is a good thing.
The question was about MX and on a private track the state rules don't apply. I questioned the ATVA/AMA about this as we have a national in Michigan. That was their responce to the legal age thing when asking about a MX track/race.
Now don't be thinking that I'm getting in the middle of you guys! I'm just a spectator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Oh yea,,, At 8, your rider has a few good years left in him on a 80-90cc mini. Well worth the investment till he's 13 and can get on a 300ex (13-15 200/300 air cooled class for blasters and 300ex's)
The dealer that has parts availability and help mechanically makes any brand good. LRX/Eton/Polaris/etc are all good. My beloved LT80 is right up there still too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
Killerex,
I got news for YOU son,its JERKS just like YOU that dont give a damn about the rules and regulations of our sport that screw it up for the vast amount of riders that do abide by the ORV laws of their State.And if I ever caught up to a rider with your attitude on the trailway,I'd set your butt straight in a heartbeat.You have no right to do whatever you want on any trailway.

I think you owe a fellow instructor a HUGE apology for your rude comments.

Bill
Mich ATV Safety Assoc-Director/Instructor
ASI Instructor
Bombardier 2-up Instructor
LMB and by the way you will NEVER catch me on a trail with your slow machine and ill riding ability unless i was on foot and then you might have a chance

Old 08-19-2004, 09:14 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[i]Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMudHey - I'm not judging anyone - I'm just the messenger.
Usually say don't shoot the messenger but I'll forgo that rule this one time.

Stick to the subject.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LT80
And I was expecting to read all about one brand being better than another. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]I think being aware of the laws is a good thing.The question was about MX and on a private track the state rules don't apply. I questioned the ATVA/AMA about this as we have a national in Michigan. That was their responce to the legal age thing when asking about a MX track/race.Now don't be thinking that I'm getting in the middle of you guys! I'm just a spectator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh yea,,, At 8, your rider has a few good years left in him on a 80-90cc mini. Well worth the investment till he's 13 and can get on a 300ex (13-15 200/300 air cooled class for blasters and 300ex's)The dealer that has parts availability and help mechanically makes any brand good. LRX/Eton/Polaris/etc are all good. My beloved LT80 is right up there still too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Someone should contact the DNR and let them know that ATVA/AMA has updated the Michigan State laws ....lol

I emailed a friend at the Michigan DNR enforcement office. Will post his reponse when I get it.

Although that link has a chart that clearly addresses the under 10 age group

Under 10
3-Wheel ATV No
4-Wheel ATV No (Except on Private land while performing farm related work operations)
Cross Street, or Highway No

Old 08-19-2004, 10:14 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to get back to mx quads, I like the double front a-arms of the Kasea/LRX.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

earlier comments deleted.

As for MX racing... get something that's easily modifiable unles you plan on running stock class racing.

you'll end up replace most of the stuff anyhow. I'd suggest getting one of the more popular brand CVT quads (Eton, Polaris, Dinli, Kasea/LRS, Xtreme) and then building it from there... none are really good out of the box, although DRR's and LEM's have historically been the top for 50cc stock classes.

Bryce

Old 08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I like the Idea of double a-arms thats why a blaster/ 300ex W/ a smaller motor would B appealing. My sone rode the walmart Monsoon for 2-3 years and he broke the frame from jumping and broke a few other parts. need less to say he kept me busy fixing things. But to the quads defence he rode it past its ability. the ti-wan minis just dont seem to be built for that abuse. now this was a 2000 model they could be built better now. is any one here moding these newer minis? how are they handling abuse? Thanks in advance[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 08-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

We were at lorettas and there were loads of kaseas and denlis that were modified to some level and still run the production class both make a 90cc quad that have the ability of being really trick and super fast. Check the respective sites and call the local dealer the can help you a ton. ALSO, cobra is coming out with a new 70cc race quad that from what we have been able to find out about is going to be ugly fast and race ready from custom frame to shocks and 6 speed tranny. It will be at the atv expo in Ky,. in Sept. Good luck with your quest and hopefully you will get more feedback on quads from your post.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

I'm not so sure the Kasea 50/90's have dual a-arms... I think they are single a-arm/double clevis type spindles... so it's a nice spindle mount with the problems of a single a-arm.

As far as that Cobra quad goes... until it's a reality, I won't believe it. And until there's a judgement by the ATVA, I'm not 100% sure they'll let it run in a production class (it' fits into the 51-70cc modified AFAIK). I know that many local racing organizations have already ruled that it will not race with 0-70cc Production classes, but will end up in a Blaster or Shift Quad class.

Most of the Tiawan CVT 2-stroke quads mostly the same underneith... some frame changes, plastic changes, some swing arm/a-arm changes.. as far as engine mods, they are usually the same except for the pipe (and that's because of the frame), and someone makes the suspension parts for any of them.

Bryce

Quick Reply: Whats the best mini for MX????????