Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Moving up a size!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving up a size!!!

Originally posted by: quadduck
The lt 80 has way more power than the polaris 90, the 90's aren't actually a 90cc, I do not recall the actuall but I think it is around 82-84cc. The lt 80 is also around 82cc's stock. Since you already own one I suggest you give him some performance upgrades and keep the 80. Plus I would buy the other 80 and fix it up. This forum is full of mods for the lt 80, Look up lt80(Jack) on the forums he is the man when it comes to yhe lt.
You need to get your facts straight.The Polaris is 89ccs and no the LT 80 does not have "way more power" than a pred or the rest of the Tiawan quads.They are all regulated to run around the same speed in stock condition.Once you start to mod them it depends on how much money you want to spend which one will be fastest.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

TERD are you saying the polaris 90 is faster than the lt 80?
I am saying that the Pred. is 89cc not 83cc....now I can't talk to much about the LT80,since we have never raced one(racing is not our thing) If i were to venture a guess from what I have read on this and other forums the LT80 has a little more power than the Pred(this is what I read from others...so don't shoot me GUYS) where that power is (top or bottom end)I have no clue. I do know that our pred. has alot of ballz in stock form and once modded will hang w/the big boys...as will all 2 stroke mini's. All depnds on how much $$$$ you want to spend.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

A friend of ours has an lt80 he got about a month ago and hasn't worked on it since. We are going to have to lite a fire under his **** to get that thing going and let the big guys race to find out which would be faster. I really don't like the kids to do our shootouts for us...as it will only cause hurt feelings and I am not about to start the competion thing, for we only do this as a family,friend and fun time thing.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

We do race against them and I must admit the majority of the 90cc class in our series this year seems to be running LT80s.They are as fast or faster than the majority of other 80 or 90cc class machines but I took exception with the "way more power" statement.I believe the reason there are so many of them this year is we have changed to an all stock rule and also the LT80s can be picked up cheaply as there are millions of used ones around and they are very reliable.With their marginal suspension and tires in stock form I have seen them bounce and get some huge air over ruts that the predator and viper cruised over like they weren't even there.Changing the tire profile seems to help alot on the LT80s,at least for our type of racing.Not trying to start a war of the brands just stating some observations from someone who does race.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: asfasasu3
Don't take this wrong, but if he's just turning 6 he should have a few more years on the LT. Our LT will run with 300 4x4 Hondas all day long in the woods. Ours also has a top speed of somwhere around 45+. Do you really think a 6 year old needs more than that? You have a great amount of potenial in that LT that you havn't even tapped into yet. My oldest son has switched from our LT to a 300EX earlier this year. The biggest reason for his switch was his height. (he's around 5feet tall) Its just my opinion, but I think its a waste of money to give up on the lt and go to something else when the something else really won't perform noticely better. And remeber, hes not even 6 yet!!
Just turning 6 means that he's now 5 years old? I tend to agree that putting a 5-6 year old on a 90 is a potentially dangerous step up for someone that age. I can't say I've run into a kid that age that is ready for that kind of speed and decision making. Oklahoma doesnt have state statutes right now but they can't be far away. I beleive the Federal guidlines say 12 years old for a 90. I know - that sounds like too small of a quad for a 12 year old and maybe it is. Maybe not.

Maybe by 9 he'll be ready for the new Kasplat 1000cc miniquad. 0-65 in 4.3. lol

Food for thought...

Old 08-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I believe we all see more in our own kids than others do. I have fell into the power up craze just as bad as anyone else has and had to have my wife bring me down a notch or two in the past. My sons have both been riding for about 4 years now and they are good riders. But there is a huge difference in the way my oldest son rides compared to my youngest. I would never ever considered putting my youngest on the 300 if he had been in my oldest sons shoes. I am not trying to put anyone down, but try and be realistic. Just because he knows the gas and brakes does that mean he needs more power? I have a very good friend that has a 6 year old riding a Raptor80 (he is VERY large for his age) that keeps telling me how well he rides. We try to ride together on weekends, but it seems like everytime his son will try to do what my kids do and he gets hurt or crashes. I have also been on the flip side of that and had to eat my words when my son crashed. I have seen a 4 year old race a 50 at our local fair (flat track) and that kid could fly!! He was clocked at 45 on the little fair track. His dad kept bragging on how good his son was (and granted for 4 he was good) But after the main race he ran over a slower rider when trying to leave the track. The other kid had to be taken to the hospital to be checked. The father of the 4 year old could only say he didn't understand why he ran over the other kid. Maybe you have a son that is very gifted in his riding abilty. Praise the lord if you do!!

Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know in my case, it's not so much a power-up craze as necessity. I ride in sand and I'm tired of pushing my kid up the bunny slopes. If we were talking trail riding, I might agree with you. But then somebody would just throw in mud or steep inclines. It all depends on the person's situation. I don't think we should jump to conclusions or be judgmental.

Remember it has to be exciting enough to keep the kids interested or they'll just go back to playing their Segas.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Your right and I'm sorry if I sound judgemental. It was not intended. I agree the terrain would change the whole picture. In the first post he did ask for opinions. Mine is that the LT should be a strong performer for a few years to come. Mods may be a must to do in the future. But like others have pointed out, all of the minis "stock" will only run so fast. The rule of thumb is that it takes almost twice as many cc's in a four stroke to purduce the same power as a two stroke. (450's vs 250's for instince) The LT has a great following and parts are fairly easy to find. I'm sure most of the other brands are good, but once the new is worn off, he'll be in the same boat. (looking for more) Now if your just wanting to get him a new quad, then by all means do. If your on a slight budget, fix up the $300 LT and mod the other. Heck, either way you go, have fun and be safe, thats what its all about anyways!!

Old 08-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

I dont know if anyone read the whole post hes been riding this for 3 yrs he has the power under control. I know accidents happen (kill swithch). I dont know I've been checking into racing in Ga. and his 80 puts him in the super mini production class. 6-13 yr olds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So I think I may get him the 105 kit and get my 4yr old that other 80 and it shouldnt cost but 300 to have it in good running shape

Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Remember it has to be exciting enough to keep the kids interested or they'll just go back to playing their Segas.

get with the times Old man...Sega is a thing of the past. X-BOX, PS2 and gamecube is where it's at now.

Samson you might be a little slow and all but I think ur HOT!!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Moving up a size!!!