Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How reliable are the Chinese made ATV's such as 50 cc, 90 cc, 110 cc ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default How reliable are the Chinese made ATV's such as 50 cc, 90 cc, 110 cc ?

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I agree with Quadduck considering all the complaints we are seeing recently about these machines. I don't know if the issues are quality issues, or just plain hard to get parts/servicing etc... which is to be expected, when little if any after the sale support is available. Still I do feel that the situation seems to be improving as time goes on.... at least from a parts and dealer support standpoint. But they have a LOOOONG way to go.

I wonder if the issues that are coming up are for machines manufactured a couple years ago, and if the new models seem to be moving in the right direction quality control wise? Any one have any data to support either claim?

One other thing I notice is that with all the knock off ATV sales websites we see these days, very few say anything about service, or parts availability... there are some that do, but many do not.... Just a question worth asking.
DB, is that you, boy o boy that is at least 2 positive comment posts about chinese quad's. Who say's they cant teach a old dog new trick's? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] MWQ

Old 01-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Kamoto 150 for my son. I paid $1518 loaded into my truck. My dealer did all of the recommended changes by Yamoto, and the ones I read about here. I then spent about an hour with the blue loctite stick, and got to everything I could reach. The $1K I saved from a Big Name model was worth it so far, unless you count the stiff suspension my son hates. I thought the 90s were too small for him, and couldn't find a big name model in the 150 range. This son takes good care of his stuff, and won't do anything radical on his quad.

I bought a Honda 250 for me, since the Chinese 250s are almost the same price, and I paid $3400 for it. These are my first quads, so money was definitely an issue, just for the simple fact that we never really spent alot of time with quads before. If we both like it, then I'll give the 250 to my son in a few years, and upgrade me to a new bigger one.

My 5 year old is now getting interested, but I will get a used Big Name 50 for him. He is rough on all his toys, and ahs a low attention span, so I'll spend the money on a used one.

Everyone has different issues. Do your homework and make the best decision for your situation. A Chinese quad is better than no quad anytime.

I just got a new job this week, and if I knew that at the time, I would have bought all new Hondas, now that I'm a little better off financially.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Last year I got two E-Tons for my kids. One 50cc and one 70cc. They have run the heck out of them for almost six months now. No problem at all. I would not think twice about getting another one down the road. I found that most Yamaha dealers aso sell the E-Ton line. Turns out the they share some parts. I have been told that the are both owned by the same company, I do not know this to be a fact. For a first bike you cannot go wrong with one.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

With the 50 you can say that about almost all the minis unless they are being raced.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well, my feelings in the past centered around both quality control and maintenance issues. After seeing so many people getting burned by less than professional so called "Dealers".. and knowing that they were going to be left high and dry sooner or later.. it sort of left a bad taste in my mouth... I am not sure if I am getting used to the taste or not, but it appears that reports are coming in on a regular basis that people are having good experiences with them, and it also appears that some of the manufacturers are working on improving the service and parts availability situation.

I also have listened to many of my friends out there that due to cost considerations have chosen this path... and found an acceptable return on their investment... so yes you can teach an old dog new tricks... I like to think I have an open mind and if you can convince me with facts, I am willing to modify my opinions. I do think there is room for improvement, but it all comes down to managing expectations... and if that works for someone, then I am all for it.

I am just glad to see more people being introduced into our sport. And am encouraged to find that parents are starting to ask questions prior to making their purchase, and are considering issues such as matching the size of the machine to the child, safety training availability, what sort of safety gear should they consider etc... It shows that in a little way, we have begun to educate the masses... and knowledge is power.

Lastly, I have tried to get rid of that big three biggot mentality that I used to have... I don't care what you ride, as long as you are doing it safely and acting responsibly, and are getting enjoyment out of it... that is the bottom line... I welcome everyone out on the trail.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

New here to the forum. I purchased two Kazumas just before thanksgiving. I have been using them on and off mostly on the weekends for light trail riding around the house with the family. They are good machines for what I am doing with them, also I don't have a lot of money tied up into something that is occasionally used. As the kids get older and get more demanding on the quads I will most likely purchase name brand units. These chinese knock offs are great for what I am using them for, but if we were riding like I used to ride my Honda 200X, I don't think they would take the punishment. Where most people appear to run into problems with Chinese products in general is that they see the price and think they are getting a bargain. The old saying will always remain - you get what you pay for. If your purchasing one for you 16 year old kid and think your going to put one over on Mr. Honda by saving big money your headed for problems. Don't get me wrong these are great little bikes for their intended use. Once you buy one of these units you don't have the luxury to bringing it to a dealer for warrantee - you are the dealer. You can get all the parts you want from the distributor you bought it from along with technical support but you are spinning the wrenches. Make sure you purchase one from a full fledged dealer. I dealt with Raceway and so far they have done everything they said they would. Most people who buy Chinese knock off products waht ever it may be watch a couple of episodes of Monster Garage and think their mechanics. They pull the quad out of the crate put the tires on, fill it with gas and have nothing but problems. When you buy these units you are the dealer and end quality control. If you have a good understanding of mechanic work and spend the time with quality control - replacing fluids, tightening and locktight bolts etc , these are great little quads for their intended use and the money. If all you are doing is light trail riding they will hold up just fine and there appear to be plenty of parts sources. Just my opinion. Again, these quads are great for their intended use.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Lastly, I have tried to get rid of that big three biggot mentality that I used to have....
Still in green bike denial huh? Any bad experiences you need to share with us? That is ok with me though, I have never owned a yellow bike my self.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:27 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Propertymaint
New here to the forum. I purchased two Kazumas just before thanksgiving. I have been using them on and off mostly on the weekends for light trail riding around the house with the family. They are good machines for what I am doing with them, also I don't have a lot of money tied up into something that is occasionally used. As the kids get older and get more demanding on the quads I will most likely purchase name brand units. These chinese knock offs are great for what I am using them for, but if we were riding like I used to ride my Honda 200X, I don't think they would take the punishment. Where most people appear to run into problems with Chinese products in general is that they see the price and think they are getting a bargain. The old saying will always remain - you get what you pay for. If your purchasing one for you 16 year old kid and think your going to put one over on Mr. Honda by saving big money your headed for problems. Don't get me wrong these are great little bikes for their intended use. Once you buy one of these units you don't have the luxury to bringing it to a dealer for warrantee - you are the dealer. You can get all the parts you want from the distributor you bought it from along with technical support but you are spinning the wrenches. Make sure you purchase one from a full fledged dealer. I dealt with Raceway and so far they have done everything they said they would. Most people who buy Chinese knock off products waht ever it may be watch a couple of episodes of Monster Garage and think their mechanics. They pull the quad out of the crate put the tires on, fill it with gas and have nothing but problems. When you buy these units you are the dealer and end quality control. If you have a good understanding of mechanic work and spend the time with quality control - replacing fluids, tightening and locktight bolts etc , these are great little quads for their intended use and the money. If all you are doing is light trail riding they will hold up just fine and there appear to be plenty of parts sources. Just my opinion. Again, these quads are great for their intended use.
welcome back to the forum Propertymaint, I think I remember you posting something about kazuma's a while ago. I am in total agreement with you on this. They are great entry level quad's. Your comment about you becoming the dealer when you purchase a delivered quad hit the nail on the head perdectly. IMO. I am sure the japanese quads are not completely bolt together and go either but the "dealer" works out those little bug's for you. Tighten a few bolt's here and there, 1/8 of a turn to the air/idle screw etc.. I would never reccomend one of these to some one with no mechanical skill's.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

There used ot be a lot of things a dealer did in years past, but now days, they basically unbox it and push it to the showroom. I have been present on both my last two Yamahas and the Honda, and other than checking fluid levels, not much was done... They put about a quart of gas in it, made sure it started and loaded it up. No tightening required.. just once around the building and on to my trailer.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

There used ot be a lot of things a dealer did in years past, but now days, they basically unbox it and push it to the showroom. I have been present on both my last two Yamahas and the Honda, and other than checking fluid levels, not much was done... They put about a quart of gas in it, made sure it started and loaded it up. No tightening required.. just once around the building and on to my trailer.
I wasnt aware of that. Used to have a buddy that put together hondas after hs. Pretty cool job I hought, basically install front wheel raise/tighten handlebar's, change engine oil, minor adjustment's. Figured they still did it that way. That is pretty impressive that they come fully asembled ready to run now. Just another place the chinese are saving money getting their quad's here. A quad that need's 4 wheel's installed, takes up a whole lot less space than one with wheel's. Lower shipping cost's. And with it comes the problems with people who think they can simply add wheel's, gas and go. I really do think it is a shame that there is not a system of dealer network's to sell these quad's. Hopefully the true junk will fall by the wayside soon and the quality product's will make some attempt to establish a dealer type arrangement some day. Eton seems pretty good and John at Raceway Atv's seem's really dedicated to his dealership. I have talked to him on the phone a few times and have gotten that impression.

Quick Reply: How reliable are the Chinese made ATV's such as 50 cc, 90 cc, 110 cc ?