Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

age of riders?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default age of riders?

Old 11-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default age of riders?

I have a question for everyone... is it just me, or do you get this warm feeling inside and a smile on your face when you see your child get on their ATV for the first time, and are wide eyed with discovery? Talk about a rush.... fast learner or not...a child full of fear, or agressive, it doesn't matter... the smile is always there on mom and dad's face... and the excitement in the air is so think you could cut it with a knife.

THAT is what I am talking about.... THAT is what makes this such a great family sport. You don't get that anywhere else.

For those of you that are wrestling with the decision to let them ride or not to ride... All I can say is once you put them on that seat for the first time... you will know you made the right decision.

Be safe......
Dragginbutt

Old 11-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default age of riders?

Yeah you are right. Like the first time I watched my son make it up a tough sand hill, or my daughter drag racing me on her 80 and watching her brag to everyone at camp on how she did. To some a beer in the woods is thier " it dosen't get any better than this." to me its everytime I take my kids riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!
Default age of riders?

I replied earlier in this thead. I must respond again due to this last weekend being "opening night" of our local flat-track races.
My son was 4 years old when he started to ride an ETON 40. He turned 5 at the end of August. It is now November. He was the only child on a 40cc machine. He kicked everyones butt! All of these other parents are sratching thier heads because this 1st year peewee on a 40 lapped all but one person, and some others twice! My boy has been watched, and watched closely! If he is riding, someone (me or mom) is right there within yards of him. Both mom and I have been through ATV safety class and we share that info with our son. It really comes down to control of the machine. My son is where he is because we got him a machine that he can move himself. He is not one of these kids that is put on a machine that he can "grow into" Little kids belong on little bikes. How many parents can actually say thier 5 year old can pick up the front or rear end of thier machine? Again, how many parents can say if the child flips the machine in a corner, the child has enough strength to put his, or her machine back on all 4 tires without help? I CAN!
It is all on the parents, not the child.

One last thing, don't be one of those parents that screams at the kid to go faster. They will when THEY are comfortable. Let them know instead on how good of a job they are doing. Talking softly will get alot better results.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default age of riders?

I "hear" you on the screaming deal... they have a lot going on inside that head, they don't need it clouded with yelling... It just makes them tense up and more likely to crash it... There is one suggestion I'd like to throw out there.. and I am surprised that noone else has brought it up... but the radio industry has made great leaps in technology in recent years. Companies like HJC have perfected the headsets for mounting on a helmet that let the parent talk their child through as they learn. They clip on, are portable between helmets, and can give a lot of positive support to the child. You can't always be on the machine with them, but this way, you can talk them through a situation, and it gives them a sense of having your hand on their shoulder.

It works for adults too...

When they get older and more experienced, you can use the devices to remain in contact while on the trail as well. No more stopping every 5 minutes to discuss which way to go, or no more having to use hand signals when you want to pass along information about a large boulder on the side of the trail or something.

The product is called a chatterbox, and they have both hand held and helmet mounted units available. Every training program should include one.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default age of riders?

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
..... The product is called a chatterbox, and they have both hand held and helmet mounted units available. Every training program should include one.
To me, wireless communications should be mandatory for all Trailer Riders who are under 12. Period! When it comes to safety gear, it should be chest pad, helmet, eye protection, headset, ankle high boots, then the gloves. If mini quad companies mass purchased headsets, they should include them with the sale of a new mini quad. "Helmet and headset is included". Having wireless communications is much better then using hand signals, or trying to yell over the noise of engines.

For this Christmas, get your kid a headset. If you got their gifts already, get yourself one and let your young rider use it. Many people tell me they are well worth it.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!
Default age of riders?

I do need to add for all of the parents out there. You DO NOT BUY A HELMET YOUR KID CAN GROW INTO! IT IS DANGEROUS. More dangerous than no helmet at all. Real little children do not fit helmets for a reason. The weight of most entry level helmets is just too much for the little ones necks. If you must take your kid on a ride, put the bicycle helmet on them. Have you noticed on how light they are? My two year old still wears his when operating the "power wheels jeep". Good habits are tough to break! One thing I have not yet seen in this post at all. Neck supports! I see Helmet, boots, roost protector. Why not fill the gap between the helmet and roost protector with a neck support. You would be amazed on how many people I deal with think they are a waist of money? YOUR CHILD WALKING FOR A FEW MORE YEARS IS A WAIST OF MONEY? I guess that is a way for those same parents to ask for handouts when thier child is hospitalized due to a neck injury. Remember, head, neck, EYES, spine, kidney belt, and ankle protection are the basics. Nothing short of that is acceptable. Go 1 step further, elbow, and knee pads. Companies like AXO, and six, six one make "pressure suits". these will replace chest protector, elbow pads, kidney belt, and complete spine protection. Bill

Old 11-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default age of riders?

Bill, if we neglected to mention a neck roll, it was an honest mistake.. and I thank you for reminding us. Neck rolls can prevent or lessen an injury to the neck and spine of anyone.. not just children. Make sure it does not interfere with the chest protector though

As many of you may know, I am spearheading a program of the recycling of helmets so we don't see anyone without one on the trails. I urge you to put old helmets in the truck with you and give it away if you see someone in need... It makes for a warm feeling inside.. and you just might save someone's life.

Bill's words on helmet fit is one subject that is clearly near and dear to my heart. A helmet should be tight fitting. And lightweight as well. Today's offerings are a lot better in this regard than they used to be. Heck, when I was a kid, you couldn't find helmets in kid's sizes... and we had to "Survive" using an adult size, and hope we didn't turn our head too fast, or we would be looking at the side of the helmet and hoping we could at least have one eye not covered...It is a wonder we all lived to tell about it...

A helmet should be a little too tight when first bought.. don't worry , it will form itself to your child's features. It just takes a little time. Don't buy one that is too big and hope they will grow into it... you will be hurting them, not helping them.. and a improperly fit helmet is downright dangerous