Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What's the best way to restrict the speed on a Dinli 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best way to restrict the speed on a Dinli 90

I understand that the throttle limiter on my '04 90cc Dinli Diamond Back does not really slow down the quad, that it only delays the CVT from engaging right away. Is accurate?? The trails it will be used on are moderately steep, and I don't want to sacrifice any power. I've read that a spacer or shim can be installed in the variator. What is a variator? Is this something that I can do myself? What do I obtain the spacer? I would appreciate any help that could be offered.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

The throttle screw does not really delay the engagement of the CVT,it simply limits how much rpm the engine can attain by not letting the throttle open up.It will slow the top speed of the quad down but it may not slow it enough for you on flat hard packed trails.Most manufacturer's also have another method of controlling the speed for this reason such as rpm limiting cdi boxes or exhaust restrictors or huge rear sprockets.The variator is located on the end of the engine crankshaft and has 6 small rollers in it which through centrifugal force, open and close the variator which basically changes your gear ratio's like an automatic transmission.I personally have not seen the spacer you are talking about but I've heard of people wanting to remove them to gain more speed(just the opposite of what you are trying to do).I know the Arctic Cat 90s came with these spacers a couple of years ago.You might want to contact a dealer and ask about them.Also any of the aftermarket go fast guys such as WRH racing etc can probably tell you if the parts are interchangeable or not and may even have some used take off units.If you can't get this method to work you might try a bigger rear sprocket but it will hurt your ground clearance.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Teh throttle limiter only limits the speed going up hill. Going down hill they will go top speed. The best way and easiest way to limit the speed is to install a shim, you'll have to make one between the variator halves or remove all the rollers out of the variator. If you can get some of the plastic dumby rollers from WRH or Hetrick then it will be better. Your variator could be damaged without rollers in it. At least that is what I have heard others say. I have done it to alot of machines without damage but you do what you will.