Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

The Lt80 project begins Saturday.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Lt80 project begins Saturday.

As some of you may remember, about a month ago I had mentioned a large overhaul project for my sons Lt80. It will be getting underway this Saturday. I have researched all the changes that will be made, and I know exactly what to do with this.
I have some great ideas for porting from a few well known 2 stroke motor builders. The 6mm stroker kit will be easily accomplished. The transmission gears will be undercut and lightened substantially. A few other tricks in there too, but I will let you know how they work when im done. The crankshaft is going to be the biggest change. Once again, Ill see how it works when done. While the cases are apart, Im modifing them to house a certain reed cage assembly. (secret) The 20mm carb is going to be bored out to 22mm with a taper. I have a custom bracket to fit the carb and new reed cage together. The carb is going to get a tapered snorkle tube to increase air velocity.

These are just a few of the changes we are going to make to the motor and drive chain. We will dress it up accordingly. This thing will stand up on end and scream when done. Ill take some photos and give some stats in a few weeks when its complete.

Gary

Old 09-24-2004, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too cool! Glad to see others who like to try and make things work. I'll be very interested in knowing how it works out.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Good luck with it!!

One thing I wish I had done the last time I redone ours, was to make one mod at a time, and see what it does for the performance. I ported ours, put the big bore piston in it, and done some clutch work all at the same time. I done all this as per instructed by some top LT builders, and it now runs slower than it did before. It will rev to the moon and it really pulls hard off the bottom, but at half throttle its at top speed. Winding it up more does nothing for the top speed. Now I'm in the process of trying to find out why.

Like I said, GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on the progress!!

Old 09-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds an awful lot like the motor I want to get from Chris Grissom Racing. Those stroker motors run pretty good. I just recently figured out/confirmed my suspicions. Two of the three (fast) kids my sons races against are running stroker motors. Of course nobody came right out and told me (high tech race secrets Shhhh!) I had to learn from conversations. They slipped a little info here and little there. Then I put two and two together. Prior to finding out I 'd been doing eveything to our LT to try and get it to run with these guys, and still we just didn't have enough HP. Makes perfect sence now... Well that's coming to an end as I figure I'll have to get a stroker motor as well.

Rude Dog

Old 09-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

This stuff sure is addicting isnt it? LOL

Gary

Old 09-27-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

addicting is right, I am more interested in My kids Lt's than mod'n my own stuff. Pretty sad huh.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

asfasasu,

You have two things to look for. Just the basics. The circumference of your front clutch is not increasing enough or the circumference of your rear pulley is not decreasing enough. You can see whats happening by running it with the side cover off. Set it up on jack stands and run it to full speed and watch the belt. The rear pulley is supported by the side cover so you don't want to do it too much, but you will be able to tell if the belt is moving correctly. This doesn't take quad and rider weight into consideration so its not foolproof. But it will let you know if the belt is moving all the way out in the front and all the way in on the back. Let us know whats happening and as you know the forum guys will let you know what to do from there. Your rear torsion spring could be too tight, you may not have enough roller weight and don't forget about gearing. I was extremely surprised at how high you can gear a ported motor and thats where I made the biggest improvment in performance after I figured that out. Its possible you may just be geared too low.

Bill

Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Bill, The sidecover supports the cases only. On the Kasea's/etons/etc. the rear shaft indeed is supported by the cover.
Good idea on free-revving it open tho. It will at least let you know if the clutchs are able to move all the way in and out. We run it down the road with the sidecover off to see what it does under weight.It's hard to see but it's possible.

This subject surely has me interested also!
I can't wait to hear the responce on:
This undercutting of the gears. The stock gears are weak enough IMO. Or maybe he meant the welded tranny option (never breaks)
The 6mm thing. Is this going to be total movement or 12mm total? And what difference going 1/4 inch below the transfers will make.
Reed cage, we've tried alot of reed cage options over the years. Yes I think there could be an improvement.
Porting will make such a difference. I get motors in that have been ported (or so they think).I think I would start off with a proven cylinder then do the stroker thing.
Fun post!!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Jack,

Missed you in Greenbrier. We had a blast. Are you making the trek to Brashear? Man, that would be a long drive. I'll e-mail you later on our other issue.

Someone told me about the cover supporting the rear clutch, I knew mine wasn't that way, so I thought it must have been that way on the newer models. My bad. Better to be safe than sorry.

See ya

Old 11-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guyz.. i've only been reading post for about an hour and am new to this amazing phenomenom. and love it allready. my Dad purchased a new 05 lt 80 a month or two ago since he traded his 95 CR 500 as a down payment for a 02 gsxr 600 but that's besides the point what i'm trying to say is that he now owns a mini. and he's not a very light man. about 180 to 200. but not fat considering his height. again i'm straying from the point. here it is. He needs power, speed, and cool looks now that this is his new Toy/Beast.. he he he.. some one help me out.. are there really stroker LT's? that's sick! where could i get that kit? i saw a nice kit on Hetrick racing but it's $1,800 and isn't a stoker. is it a good kit? or what could be better? alos i mentioned that this is an adults bike. and he tends to get a little excited and tries to jump thing. he needs mojor suspensioon work for jumps and such. as well as a wider track all around, maybe even nerf bars. sorry for typing such a long post but some one or every one please help me out. Thanks..

Quick Reply: The Lt80 project begins Saturday.