Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

ATV for 7 year old

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for 7 year old

Originally posted by: spike99
soimcrazy,

Just wondering how your research is coming along???

When I performed my investigation / selection process for my son, it took me over 3.5 months. So many brands, so many different features, so many different considerations and so much different opinions. At times, I got "down right" frustrated. If you can, take your time and pick what brand / size is right for for you and your "young rider". In the end, your search time will be a good thing in the long run....

Talk about researching, you can also use the "Search" engine on this forum to review historical posts. For example, Search for "extreme" brand, Search for "safety upgrades", etc. etc. The info in this Forum may help explain why the Raptor 50 (or a different brand) has known suspension problems.

Hope this helps...

I'm still undecided. I'm looking at good used ATVs too. I think I could get a barely used Raptor 80 for $1500, but I've read some bad things about them.
And I'm not sure if I want a 2 or 4 stroke.
I was at a Polaris/Eton dealer and looked around there. The viper 70 is $1899, and the 50 is only $100 less. The predator 50 is $1799, but I think a 50 might be too small. I need a 70,80,or 90 for my son.
The Honda TRX90 is $2500, only $500 less that the Recon, which is a real full-size ATV !! Crazy !!

I'm going to keep my eye on the classifieds and I might find a good bargain on a nice ATV. I just dont want to wait too close to x-mas to buy something.

I'm one of those people who hate to pay full price for something. I wonder how much the dealer markup is on a youth ATV. I have noticed that there can be a big difference in price on the same ATV form one dealer to another !! And the closer it gets to x-mas the less of a chance a dealer is going to negotiate.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is the issue, I've heard from a ton of people that love their Madami/Sundiro Sunray. You can get a new 90 for under $1400. Same motor as the eton from what I understand. You'd give up the hydraulic brake though (maybe new cdi required with mods?).

Personally, I'd rather have a new "el cheapo" than an old wore-out name brand.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Just some words of advise,get the quad that you and your child really want.Sure you might save some money on something else but usually there's only a couple of hundred bucks difference between the brands.If you get something that was cheap initially but now needs some suspension improvements or more power you will spend much, much more to modify the bike than it would have cost you to buy a more expensive one in the first place.Make a list of the features you want/need.Then take junior to sit on the bikes that qualify and see which ones fit him and which ones he likes.A good dealer is also very important.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:23 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

You make a very good point Yeller. I should have added that you can save money through mail order but you will most likely give up any hope of warranty work. Make sure you don't mind getting your hands dirty should the quad need some tweeking.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

The Lt80's have about the same power as a 160. I'm just not a fan of 2 strokes if it can be avoided. The 160 sits really low and is much wider than a Lt80.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 AM
Quad Patrol

Curls, I have both the Suzukis sitting on the side of my house and I don't agree with you saying they both have the same power. Event though the 160 is a 4 stroke, from my riding on the seat experiences, I'd say the 160 has more power.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Quad Patrol

SoImCrzy, I don't know where you live. But, if you reside in California, don't buy a new 2 stroke. It will be "red stickered" Which means, you will only be able to ride it about 4-5 months out of the year, depending where you reside/ride in the state.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Wait at least a few more days before making your decision. We have a new preferred vendor that will have a forum here dedicated to kids ATVs. They offer free shipping right to your door, no sales tax (they pay the tax) and a 15 day money back guarantee if you're not happy with the ATV.

You can ask them questions here in the forums and they'll be happy to help you out.

stay tuned!

Old 10-08-2004, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Rescuediver,

I don't have an LT80 and have not played on one for a few years, how much difference is there between the two in terms of power? In your opinion, other than being a little larger would the 160 tend to remain on all fours a little better? I see kids racing the Lt80's all over the place and maybe they have some performance work done on them, but those little quads are roosting pretty good.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Curls, I would lean toward a 4 stroke for a stock machine. Simply for engine life.

But I think the catch is that you can gain big HP on a 2-stroke with bolt-ons. To gain similar power on a 4-stroke, you'd have to tear into the engine. The 2-stroke fires on every cycle, no cam, no chain to worry about, no engine oil changes, no valves to set and there are no valve springs to cause problems at higher rpm's. It's a simple engine that produces great power per cc. They definately have some pro's. I think they've just gotten a bad rep with pollution issues.

I do understand where rescuediver is coming from. Glad I don't have to worry about stuff like that.

Also, not sure they sell the 160 anymore?

Quick Reply: ATV for 7 year old