Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Carter Talon GX Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carter Talon GX Woes

Yeah, one of the dealers I went to had a "NEW" Dazon that looked pretty well used. I couldn't believe he was calling it new. Deep scores in the rear disc rotor, obvious wear on the tires... some rust already. A greese fitting was missing. I walked away from that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah, and he wanted 3,300 for this NEW cart.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Well, we drove the carter hard on saturday, starting out, we got the same hesitation and sputtering we always had, but it seemed to clear up, so we drove an hour or so and I did the 5 hr oil change, we then drove it the rest of the day without an issue. Sunday was event better, we cranked it up and again rode it most of the day. I left town for NC on Monday morning, in the evening I get a call from her saying that she was taking the kids for a ride around the lot, and made about 5 passes when it died and would not crank back up. I got home yesterday, and it would not crank so I looked at all the electrical connections one more time, and found one that was bad, so I replaced the connection, and it the cart cranked up, I backed it off the porch, and proceeded to drive it around the lot, and it sputtered anytime you gave it any gas, but it would idle fine, I loaded it up and put it back in the truck (this thing spends more time in the truck than we do riding it.) and to it back to the shop where it still sits now. This is getting really frustrating, this was supposed to be a new cart, why am I having all of these problems, is there anyway I can get carter to just give me another cart and take this one back?

Old 11-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

It "sounds" like the main jet is clogged. this is easy to fix. It is possible some trash is in it, or if it sat at the dealer for a long time, some of the gas turned to varnish. If it will not accept throttle, this is usually a clogged main, which I have had on many of my "it ran before I parked it in the barn a year ago" type purchases. If there is stuff in the float bowl, it will get sucked up there continually unless you get all of it out. Just take the jet out and blow it out and clean the bowl etc. making sure the fuel filter is working also. I once bought a new holley carb that had tiny slivers of gas colored plastic shavings I thought I was never going to get out. It sounds like you got the electrical figured out. I hope this helps, just hang in there, if you get it lined out you shouldn't have anything but fun out of it.

Keep us posted

Old 11-11-2004, 11:44 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use fuel stabilizer in my storage tanks. And use the tanks to fuel my quads. Seems to help if you let your machine setup a while.

Old 11-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

Guys thanks for all the replies and ideas, I got a call from the repair shop telling me that it is ready yet again, and that I had a bill for $67.50, well this kinda pissed me off because I have been fighting this problem since day one, so I got on the phone and called Carter I talked to a person there, and explained the issue(s) to him and he said he would call the repair shop and talk with them about the bill. He called me back about an hour later and explained that there were actually two bill one for $174.00 and another for $67.50 the 174.00 was being sent to Carter and the repair shop billed me the 67.50 for cleaning the carb and the flushing fuel lines and tank (again), but he said the he instructed the shop to send both bills to Carter and that they would pay for all charges until this specific issue is resolved, hopefully when I pick it up tonight, it will be resolved once and for all. I will keep you posted.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

Update, I get to the shop yesterday to pick up the cart and I was informed that they could not fix it, they instructed me to take it back to the dealer that sold me the cart and get my money back or request a new one, I have been on the phone with Carter again this morning and was told that if I want a replacement, it is definetly an option to me, so I guess when the dealer I bought it from opens, I will call and discuss the matter with them, this is a real pain in the but.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that's amazing. Don't think I've yet heard that something couldn't be fixed. Will be interested to hear what happens from here with the original dealer.

Wonder how often this happens with the chinese built carts??

Old 11-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

"Can't fix it" is just a polite way of saying I don't want to work on it anymore.

Problems like this can sour you on a purchase, the hassle of taking it back to the dealer gets annoying quick.

I would still recommend this style of cart to someone, I think the problem is probably minor. I've done things in mine I am sure it was NOT designed for, including flipping it over, jumping it ALOT including once so hard it came down on the front of the frame (nose first into the gravel, no tires touching, 20mph to zero in .2 seconds), pressure washing the complete engine electrical system etc. Oh yeah, and did I mention jumping it repeatedly? and I still like it.

I'm with you though, if it were me I'd say give me a new one or give me my money back!

Old 11-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Range Rover

just thought I would mention, I would not do these things with my son in there, especially with a heavy helmet on! which reminds me I am going to pick up his foam neck brace I ordered him last week right now (I believe this is a good idea for small kids)

Old 11-12-2004, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I went at lunch and picked up the new cart, I made them put gas in it and I drove it around the parking lot at the store for about 15mins and no problems (knock on wood), I guess we will take it out and ride it this weekend and hopefully we got a good one this time. Kell, I saw from your pictures that you cross creeks in yours, how deep would you go? Does this cart handle hills good? Let me know.

Chris

Quick Reply: Carter Talon GX Woes