Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Hey guys. I have a question about kid’s quads. I will be buying 2 for my kids this Christmas and I am going back and forth with the difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke in a mini. I am been doing tons of research on them and I want to know what the main differences, pros and cons for each. I know people say that you have to mix the fuel for a 2 stroke but most of the quads being sold have automatic oil injection so there is no mix required. With all things said, are they equal? I have heard that you will get more power from a 2 stroke but since they are for my kids, I am not looking for a lot of speed. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:00 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, 2-strokes are capable of more power per cc than 4-strokes. But that doesn't mean the 2-strokes create more power in stock form. Second, bolt-ons (such as a pipe) have a greater impact on the 2 stroke's power. So I just think it's easier for the average Joe to get some serious HP out of them.

Old 11-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most factory 2 strokes come with factory oil injection systems. If you fully trust the modernized oil injection systems, then leave it "as is". Simply put gas in the gas tank and injection oil in the oil tank. If you do remove the oil injection systems (after warranty period), then you do have to mix your gas. Most people start with 32:1, then tweak the ratio based on plug readings. Most are within 32:1 - 34:1 ratio.

Two stokes do blow smoke out their tail pipes. For some brands, its minimum and other brands it stinks enough to smell it - especially if you follow them for a long time. Since both your "future" young riders will probably be squeezed between 2 adult riders, I bet their combined 2 stroke output fumes would be noticed by the adult in the rear. Especially if single file on a long 30 minute bush trail that has no cross wind.

From my experience, two strokes have more bottom end "instant" zip. Four strokes have more even distribution of power. For trail riding, some like 2 strokes and some like 4 strokes better. Each to their own.

Two strokes don't like water. They can handle minimum water but can't handle too many drops into their carb. Most 2 strokes have CVT transmissions. On the minis, most CVT transmissions are vented. Thus, water goes into the belt area when the water level is higher then its running boards.

Two strokes are much easier to upgrade. They have lots of trapped in power and it can be released with the right combination of parts. Four strokes tent to be a little harder to upgrade, but can be upgraded. In simple terms.... For 2 strokes, you release their factory trapped in power. For 4 strokes, you upgrade to create more power.

If your kids are old enough to handle the ability to shift gears and drive at the same time, then consider a 4 stroke with sealed transmission for your trail riding. If you are thinking of racing in the future, then go with a 2 stroke with CVT transmission. If you have lots of cash, have a different type of mini for each unique riding condition.

For first time riders, most like auto transmissions. Simply press on the gas and focus on driving. For my son's second quad, I'd probably get him a 4 stroke with a geared transmission. He's now at the stage (and age) where he can use a shifter. Your young rider might get the hang of "shifting & driving" skills on the first few rides. Each kid is different when it comes to learning....

Also, look a brands that have disc brakes, foot brake, shaft drive, lots of suspension, daytime running lights and if necessary, purchase 1.5" wheel spacers. By making a unit wider, it will slide sideways "more often" instead of digging in. Hence, great donuts in the mud and sand.

Hope this helps...

Old 11-29-2004, 05:40 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: spike99
If you do remove the oil injection systems (after warranty period), they you do have to mix your gas. Most people start with 32:1, then tweak the ratio based on plug readings. Most are within 32:1 - 34:1 ratio.

I'm currently running about 38:1 with very little smoke after the initial warm up. A lot of people will run 40:1 or higher with the full synthetic. All personal preference.

Both your oil mixture and jetting can affect the amount of smoke the engine creates.

Old 11-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip.

I checked my plug a few moments ago and noticed it was on the "little too black" side. I'll tweak my pre-mix down to 36:1 on the next tank of gas. If necessary, I may even tweak down to 38:1 on the next tank after that. Thanks for the reminder to check my plug. Haven't done it for a while.

Talking about "tweaking one's gas", I found a small can of Stablizer in my garage. It came with my weed eater and I forgot I still had it. It's been sitting on my shelf for 4 years. Yes, hidden behind my many other cans. Do you think this stuff would still be good? If so, I'll mix in our mini-quad gas tank as well. Our riding has slowed down for a while - until our ground is fully frozen.

thanks.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:13 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

If it's sealed, I would think the stabilizer would still be good. I'm sold on the stuff. Between my EX and the lawn mower, mine never seems to get very old, but my daughter's just doesn't use very much. We took out on Saturday. Unfortunately, my daughter was staying with her grandparents at the time but at least I got to show off my work. One of my buddies (6'2" 200lbs or so) started doing donuts and taking it over some decent dunes. He couldn't get over how good it ran for 93cc's. Anyway, my point is old gas (at least 2 months) was still good gas. Started easy and ran great! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Before I got the jetting right my wife griped about me smoking up the neighborhood. After numerous attempts, the right jetting made a huge reduction in the amount of smoke it was putting out.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

If you fully trust the modernized oil injection systems, then leave it "as is". Simply put gas in the gas tank and injection oil in the oil tank. If you do remove the oil injection systems (after warranty period), then you do have to mix your gas. Most people start with 32:1, then tweak the ratio based on plug readings. Most are within 32:1 - 34:1 ratio.

I take it that you don't fully trust the factory injection systems. I would like to keep the convience of the automatic injection system. I wonder if there is a way you can tweak it if you notice that it is running too rich or lean.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Some trust it and some don't. This area could be debated for months. I do know that many racers remove their factory oil injection systems because they need the space for bigger pipes or "the trust thing", and some "old school" folks like myself remove it as well.

If you want to reduce the pressure on your thumb control, remove the oil injection system and install a single throttle cable. This customization drops the thumb press by approx 50%. Some people remove their oil injection systems just for this reason. Less pressure means less pain, and thus greater safety to the young rider. Each to their own...

Not too sure how to adjust the factory Oil Injection system. I'm sure the detailed instructions are within the Service Manual of your specific brand of mini. The adjustment control details aren't in the typical Owners manual.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks spike. More info to consider. I have narrowed the field to 2 paticular quads of the same price. Of course, one is a 2-stroke and the other is a 4-stroke. I am at the point of flipping a coin to decide which one I will get.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Which one does your young rider want???

Silly question but this approach might help reduce "mom/dad, I wished you picked the other brand!!!" nagging down the road. Worked for my kid....

Quick Reply: 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke