Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with 1st ATV purchase for son...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 1st ATV purchase for son...

I commend you on doing your research... it is a sad truth that many do not. Sounds like you found a good match for your son... and he fits within the guidelines as well.. so you have a winner there. Good luck in your new sport and welcome to the club.

May I make a small suggestion? Get one for yourself. ATV's are a family sport.. one that should be enjoyed by all participants... not just watching the kids have all the fun.... Warning though, it is a disease that has no cure once you catch it.... and we all hope that you do...

Dragginbutt

Old 12-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the info everyone. I ordered the Viper 70 today. As for myself, I already posted in the buying an atv to get some insight for myself. I did see a Suzuki 500 vinson 4x4 that looked mighty appealing. Alas, I already have a costly disease called drag racing. Hmm, I guess I could justify buying the quad in case I ever have to tow the car.

Thanks again and I look forward to continuing my education on quads with your help.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

Hey that's cool... but if you get one yourself, you might find that being able to share the experience with your son turns out as more fun than the grind you put yourself through on race day with the drag car. Plus, there will be wrench time required... more time to share with your son. and it can help keep in touch with the gearhead inside... I hate to say it, but you may have found your cure for the drag racing disease.... and a way to keep more of that green stuff in your pocket.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:13 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by: keyman
Hmm, I guess I could justify buying the quad in case I ever have to tow the car.
Sound's like a great idea to me. The great times you will have riding and wrenching with your son will be well worth it. It is a great activity to share with your son(or daughter if applicable).And when they hit those teen age year's you will always have something in common. Very important I have found.(My 2 boys 17/19). And like Dragginbutt say's it may replace that other hobby.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Keyman,
Glad you found a good quad. Now, Bring it out to the GMQA races and let's have some fun.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad to read that you bought a e-Ton viper. I went with the Viper 90R a few weeks ago, my son will be 6 on Jan. 10. I researched, read, and had him sit on 8 different makes and models. I ended up sizing him more in the 70 - 90 cc models, the 50 cc were to small. I wanted a shaft drive, reverse, auto trans, and 4 stroke, settled with the 2005 reverse model 90 e-Ton. I guess I will live with the 2 stroke injected motor and chain drive, we will be riding in the yard, fields, and mild trails the first few years anyway.

It was probably between the Polaris Sportsman or Predator 90, Suzuki LT80 and a Kasea model. I got the best deal $$$ on the E-Ton, and the dealer was very helpful and really likes the reliabilty of the e-Tons.

Pics of our E-Ton 90 R

-lohman

Old 12-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey lohman,

Cool Blue Viper!!!! It still has the plastic on the seat and shock covers. Now that is new!!!

As a suggestion, you may want to purchase shock covers for your new mini. Shock covers keep the dirt, long grass and crud out of the springs and inner plunger rod. We installed shock covers on our Pred-90 and am very please with its positive results.

Your kid is pretty lucky to have a new unit with reverse. Wish our Pred-90 had reverse. Having R on the trails and for loading / unload would make it even more fun....

Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yup, brand new and hidden in the garage for his birthday in a few weeks. Thanks for the tip on the shock covers, sounds like a great idea.

I think the '05 Predator has a reverse, I know the Sportsman 90 does... The Polaris looked nice, but our local dealers will not deal much of retail. I took cash and got a good deal on the e-Ton. I am sure we will get alot of riding and enjoyment from it.

(pics removed by lohman)

-lohman

Old 12-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

lohman.. great pics...looks like you had a great time... however.. Sorry to be critical here... but...

I wish you and your frineds would think about wearing helmets and eye protection.... I know the arguements... and the testosterone logic.. but really.. we are trying to set examples to a lot of kids out there.. and they see pictures of guys having a lot of fun and not wearing the safety gear... and they think they can get away with it too.

Trouble is, they go blasting off at top speed, while you and your buddies were putting around for the most part... so the chances of serious injury were less... But the kids don't see that... all they see is adults without helmets...so it must be OK for them too....

We need your help on this...

Not trying to stir a war of words... or philosophy... just soliciting your assistance in trying to reduce the injury statistics so we can keep the feds and local governments off our backs.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Atv manufacturers should have the cost of an entry level youth atv more reasonable. Loose $500 now and maybe get back $30,000+ later.

Quick Reply: Need help with 1st ATV purchase for son...