Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help with 1st ATV purchase for son...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 1st ATV purchase for son...

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, my name is Benji. I have a six year old son that is screaming for an atv. Wanting not to go astronomical in price. I've looked at several models and the "mini" 50's like the dilni cobra are a too small for him. I saw an ETON Viper 50 that looked good and even the ETON 70 he could ride.

Would it be better to get the 70 so he could ride it longer or should I get the 50? The 50 the dealer is trying to sell me is the Viper mini 50. Isn't the 70 a lot more heavy duty?

Also, should I be looking at other brands that may be a little better in the same price range?

Thanks for your time,
Benji

Old 11-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Benji,

Welcome to this forum.

To get the best model for your outdoor adventures, pick the best one that fits your son's body. You want a little growth room but not too much. Probably looking at 3 year growth range before upgrading to a bigger brand. I've read the E-Ton brand is a pretty good brand. Many young riders age 6 like the E-Ton's color and body style. Many pitt grews like its parts availability and affordabilit as well. Stuff like air filters, chain / sprockets, replacement brake pads, etc. etc. are needed on demand. I've also read the 70 have stuff like teather cords, remote control kill switches and stuff like that. Being 6, he'll probably be doning most of his driving "around the house" and on the friendly parts of the trails for the next few years. Because of this, you probably don't need huge amounts of suspension. From your son's perspective, ask him to take it easy, learn what control features he likes and/or doesn't like and don't like, then focus on these control features on your next machine. From an upgrade perspective, I've read more upgrades can be done on a 70 then on the Jr 50 brand. Now matter if you pick the Jr 50 or 70, ensure its a "good body fit". For learning the first time during a 3 year period, this is one of the main factors in picking either model. The other factor is age to engine CC laws in your area.

If Santa is going to get him a mini-quad for Christmas, what safety gear his father should get you as well? I've heard many "first time drivers" do much better with wireless communications equipment. A nice stocking stuff for your son and you. Especially if you'll be supervising him all the time.

Hope the above helps...

Old 11-30-2004, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

I have a ETON 50 Jr. and it is way to small for a kid of six years old. My daughter is four and it fits her ok, but will upgrade to a 70/90cc in the near future. The ETON does have a good name as well as the Dinli and many others. I always look at what brands have the most aftermarket stuff available, but that's just me. But most important is get what does fit the kid in a safe manner and lets him/her be in full control of the quad. JMHO!

Old 11-30-2004, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

go to www.yamotostore.com they have yamoto and redcat atvs
i got a yamoto 150 atv and i needed some help onwhat oil to use they ansewdr by question quick and percise and told me where to go for some oil. ;[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

Benji,

At 6 I would look at the full size mini. Dinli makes a great 50 called a Beast 50. The only difference in a 70 engine and a 50 engine is the cylinder and piston. You can upgrade any 50 to a 70 for $200 and have an aluminum cylinder 70. Anyway, Whatever machine you decide on get all the safety equpiment for your kid also. I will say you won't go wrong with a Dinli. They are top notch.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well dad... I have to ask you some questions first... how and where is he going to ride it... second, take a good hard look at your son and evaluate his past performances... Do you think he is dedicated? Is he mature enough to control his emotions and does he have self control enough to follow instructions... especially safety related ones...? Will he wear the safety gear religiously?... will he tell his friends no when they jump on for a ride? If the answers are no to any of these... then he needs to wait. You need to be the dad here, and not cave to whining.

If the answers are all yes, then a little about 50 cc machines.. they are by Consumer Products Safety Council (CPSC) guidelines limited to 10 miles per hour. Most children find they outgrow that speed pretty quick. CPSC guidelines mandate a 50cc for his age, but on private land, you may, and I emphasize the word MAY be able to go bigger. You need to check your local laws to determine what is legal or not.

Next, when looking for a machine, Spike hit it on the head. Get one that fits. Make sure he can work the controls like the Brakes.. many kids his age cannot. Make sure he can turn the bars... and see if he can push it by himself. If not, he isn't physically able yet... again, he waits.

With cost being an issue, nothing larger than a 90.. hopefully something in the 70 to 80 cc range. Make sure you get the safety gear. Helmet, long sleeve shirt, goggles, gloves long pants, and over the ankle leather boots as a minimum. If you can afford it.. chest protector, neck roll, MX boots. Also, I'd suggest a radio set called a chatterbox that affixes to his helmet, so you can calmly talk to him while he rides, rather than yelling at him...

Old 11-30-2004, 03:08 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
CPSC guidelines mandate a 50cc for his age
Actually, the guidelines are up to 70cc for a 6 year old DB. State law may be different.

Trending Topics

Old 11-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You are right... thanks for keeping me honest.... spending way too much time on this board today...

Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, everyone. I appreciate the info. He has done good so far sticking to all of our projects. He'll definately get all the safety gear. (That's why I was looking maybe at a cheaper quad). Today we looked at several machines. Here's what I could tell by looking sitting in the show room.

Suzuki 50- Too small, he looked really cramped up. Price was 1899 plus tax and $125.00 in accessories.
Kawasaki kdx50- Also looked small for him. Price 1799. plus tax No accessories.

Dilni 50(not jr.)- Fit better. Didn't like that it didn't have rear shock. 1450 plus tax no accessories.

ETON Viper mini 50- Fit as good as I think one could. Had rear shock like Suzuki and Kaw. 1450 no accessories.

ETON Viper 70- This quad also fits good. He has a lot more room to grow. It has rear shock, functional head light. He can steer it and work the controls good. It is 1699 plus tax, no accessories.
His feet do Barely fit flat on the boards, but they do.

What do you guys think? To Dad, the 70 seems the way to go. I can govern it down and he could ride it longer for about the same money. But I'm as much a novice as my boy is.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

The ETON 70 is a great Quad. A friend just got one for his boy, and ever time I look it over I see more and more that I like about it. Plus you can get just about anything you want, aftermarket when your ready. Good choice in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Need help with 1st ATV purchase for son...