Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Daytime Running lights....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Daytime Running lights....

We drive our Pred-90 on deep trails and know the safety advantage of "it is better to be seen then to blend in the environment" importance. Especially when driving in a dark bush during a cloudy day. To me, all trail riding minis must have DRLs... Period!!! Sure wish CPSC folks would see the light in this area too.

For a while, I've been surfing many different forums trying to help other people install DRLs on their minis too. I often wonder why many mini-quad lighting companies don't make more customized light kits. Especially for the Pred-90 and Sportsman 90 line. These are common minis and it would be so ease for a company to create a light insert kit for the Pred-90 & the SP-90 line. The light replacement kit for the SP-90 would be the easiest. A simple, low cost "bolt in" product that would use around 25 watts would be really cool. If above 25 watts, it would over tax their Polaris 90cc factory stator system.

If you come across any companies that sell Pred-90 or SP-90 front lighting kits, please share its URL and product details. There's folks on other forums who are looking for this info as well.

thanks.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike, I will do that. I would think the CPSC would endorse DLR's on mini's. I agree it helps being seen during daylight running hours. Therefore, it decreases your chances of head-on collisions. When we are out ridng on over cast days or, in a crowd of people, we turn our lights on. But, I guess that makes too much sense[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Anyways, if i see something for the Pred 90, I'll post it. Rescue

Old 01-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yes and no.. www.radlites.com is their website. On it, you will find a lot of information, only about half of it will relate to ATV's, however they do understand the market, and are deeply involved. Especially neat are their running lights.... LED's are small, but some of them can really throw a great deal of light. Like most of us, I don't think I want my 9 year old out after dark using only LED's to light his path, rather I want to use them to as a daytime running system as everyone has described... however there are times when we may be caught out after dark, or in a deep forest where extra light is needed... and that is where the headlight idea was born. Up to now, I had been trying to convince someone to build me a light, but costs on a small run were over $50 a pop.... Finally, the folks at RADLITES have done it... I am not sure how many they have, and you wont find them listed on their website, but if you send them an email, they will help you.. They quoted me a price of $19.95 for a 14 bulb round disk that uses the high intensity white lights. That should just about burn out your retina if you look at them for a long period of time... I suspect that will throw some light out there in front of you... That really is all I am looking for. It may not be a focused beam like you would get with dedicated light bulb, but I am hoping it will work well enough to give him some extra safety margin.

Their website does have some pictures of single bulbs used inside a raptor light housing.. and it is not a high intensity light.... so with 14 of the high intensity ones in a one inch disc, it should light up the sky... They really work well. If you have seen them, you know what I am talking about.

The best case scenario would be for someone to manufacture a 1156 type replacement bulb using high intensity whites... that would rock... They have the in amber and red... with 15 low intensity bulbs and they are bright... put whites on tehm, and you are talking bright... but right now, nobody does them. It would really make it easy to use them in that configuration... as the connector sockets are readily available in any auto parts store.

As for lights and the CPSC.. you have to remember mini's are a class of machines, and the guidelines dictate no lights on minis because or their fear that kids would be out after dark. Well, that may have worked years ago, but I think the benefit of having them outweighs the negative... So we need to hammer this point to the CPSC. Not for night riding, but for trail safety during daylight hours. Some mini manufacturers have seen the light... I hope the others follow suit. (Are you listening Yamaha?)

Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to find a red LED taillight at Wally-World. Actually a side marker trailer light but it does the trick.

Jaybee

Old 01-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Spike, sorry you had a bad experience with the Ricky Stator folks... I have to defend them though.. he took time to explain the whole deal to me, with pictures, diagrams etc and it cost me nothing. I think giving up time and info like that for free shows a great deal of commitment and it is nice to see someone actually willing to help without asking for a buck or two for his time.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

All this info is great. Wish I had found this forum a year ago. I like the idea of a plate fitting into the raptor frames. My son really like the "cool" look of the eye's. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Quad Patrol

Jaymarti, What did you end up doing to the rappy 80, if anything?

And, Welcome to the forums[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] were you a past member? your screen name looks familiar[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] If not, I'm probably confusing you, with someone already here. If so, I appologize[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

Rescue Diver,

I haven't done anything yet to add lights. Still in the works. Basketball season is over in two weeks... The most time I have to work on the quads is when we are on riding trips, and then the kids want to ride... Go figure.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: jaymarti
Rescue Diver,

I haven't done anything yet to add lights. Still in the works. Basketball season is over in two weeks... The most time I have to work on the quads is when we are on riding trips, and then the kids want to ride... Go figure.
I here you on "where to find time" You can plan months in advance, but still running around hours before you leave, to get everything finished[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, for some reason, still have one or two things to do, when you arrive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]