Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Daytime Running lights....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Daytime Running lights....

If you are thinking about installing Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on your mini that didn't come with optional lights, here's some info that may give you a few ideas....

If you are thinking about installing a single front light, here's some pictures that may help:

- Press Here 1 -
- Press Here 2 -
- Press Here 3 -

If you are thinking about installing double front lights, here's some pictures that may help:

- Press Here 1 -
- Press Here 2 -
- Press Here 3 -
- Press Here 4 -
- Press Here 5 -

If wondering, I removed the above single H3 - 35 watt "too pencil beam focused" light and installed the new double lights today. These double auto fog lights from WalMart have wide angle distribution lens and they give off a really cool amber tint light. With 2 x 20 watts and the more RPMs at lower ground speed mods I'm currently doing, I'm hoping our Pred-90's "MAX 70 watt" stator system can power these new double lights. Only time will tell....

Hope these pictures help others....

Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think each make is different. The yamaha Raptor 80 actually has a dual stage stator according to Ricky Stator, and it only uses one side.. so I have the other side to work with.... but it is limited to 35 watts of power. Any more and I start killing the battery.

I was hoping to work with some of the super bright LED's, which pull virtually no current,, but ultimately need someone to make me a 1157 style bulb with clears... I can get red or amber, but nobody is interested in making some using whites. Unless I want to shell out like 45 bucks each.... No thank you.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

I'm looking for info on adding lights to my son's raptor 80. The info on the stator sounds promising if you work more out I would appreciate the info. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:48 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: jaymarti
I'm looking for info on adding lights to my son's raptor 80. The info on the stator sounds promising if you work more out I would appreciate the info. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Here is an email I recently got from Ricky Stator. I too, am looking to add lights to my daughter's Raptor 80.

we offer no kit for that but find a $20-$30 light at the local store or
walmart or whatever that uses a MR-16 bulb-
-this is a display lamp bulb used in many billet lights--
and put a 20 watter MR16 into it.....
and you will be kinda, not over, surprised by the amount of light on the
ground you get

Old 01-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Quad Patrol

Jaymarti, Here's a cool site for Raptor 80 parts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Raptor 80 parts/lights scroll down and they have lights for it also. This place is out of Fresno too.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Quad Patrol

Here's a little more info Ricky Stator sent me about the Raptor 80 electrical system:

>> the single bar coil on that stator is split wound meaning 2 seperate
>> windings on one single bar
>>
>> to wind it more is not possible unless it were to wind the whole coil for
>> the charging or lighting only
>>
>> bad news there is-
>>
>> if just for lighting the battery would go dead
>> if just for charging then the gain would actually be less than the AC
>> power
>> now coming from it
>>
>> a catch 22 staring at us makes it not a mod to do

Old 01-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just got a return email from my friends at Radlites... I have been bugging them to put together a round LED board with super white bulbs for over a year.. well they finally have done so, and now offer a round board with 14 mini high intensity white LED's on it. So what you say? Well, they can be mounted inside the clear lenses of the fake lights on the raptor 80.. and they pull very little current. They also have several mounts available for use on the rear, so you can now have very bright tail lights... very cool, and fairly inexpensive.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

During the last few years, I've done lots of communications with Sales Reps at Ricky Stator. Several times, they told me that front lighting could NOT be installed on a '03 Pred-90. Once, they told me its stator output was around 30 watts. Actually, the Pred-90 has a stator output of a max 70 watts. At that point in time, they weren't even interested in creating a Pred-90 light hood add-on, much like they have for the LT80 brand. Surf: - Press Here -

Long story short.... I wouldn't put too much faith in some of the info that Ricky's shop provides. In some areas, they know their products backwards & inside out. In other areas, they do lack knowledge and the interest to move to the next level. It's too bad because with these new MR16 10W & 20W bulbs & today's advanced LED technology, "they have a huge business opportunity for re-bundle, re-sale and make one heck of a profit" sitting on their door. Sure hope they see "the new light" on this business opportunity soon....

Just my 2 cents...

Old 01-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Dragginbutt,

Your investigation and verification of the LED lighting system sounds great. Excellent!!!!

Do you have an pictures and/or online LED URLs you can share with us? Perhaps your contacts at Radlites can take a few pictures and give us their product number details. By showing us pictures, we'll have a much better idea what your customized LED system would look like, and try to apply it to our respective minis.

thanks.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: spike99
Dragginbutt,

Your investigation and verification of the LED lighting system sounds great. Excellent!!!!

Do you have an pictures and/or online LED URLs you can share with us? Perhaps your contacts at Radlites can take a few pictures and give us their product number details. By showing us pictures, we'll have a much better idea what your customized LED system would look like, and try to apply it to our respective minis.

thanks..
Spike, I was thinking the same thing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am going to put lights on our Rappy 80. So, I too, am interested in the set-up DB's talking about. Would like to know how much light it projects out, etc. I was going to add the lights, I referred to with above link. Then add the small led light into the fake light lenses Yamaha puts on the 80.

Also, I agree with you about RickyStator, They have done work for me in the past and did a AAAA+++++ job[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Very satisfied[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I also think they are missing out on a market they could exploit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]But, I think they won't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] do to what was described to me, as the Yamaha 80's antiquated electrical system on the Rappy 80[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Daytime Running lights....