Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Yamoto 110 Carb / Drive Shaft Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamoto 110 Carb / Drive Shaft Issues

Long time forum reader first time posting.
I bought a Yamoto 110 for my son for Christmas and it has never run well. I assembled it myself using alot of the advice from the forum. The atv won't idle at all but I'm assuming I can adjust the throttle cable which will engage the throttle somewhat. It takes a while to get it started, sometimes running the battery down, and when it finally does it backfires like crazy. I'm thinking the cold weather is affecting it. I hope not because he is dying to tear up some snow. Once we get it running and it warms up it runs well but will not idle. I think I can deal with the carb issues but last week the drive shaft stripped where it connects to the rear. I pulled the transmission apart which allowed me to pull the shaft out that attaches the engine/tranny to the rear end. The shaft is connected using ujoints. The shaft seems to float between the ujoints. The spline end on the shaft actually stripped out. Apparently only 1/2" of the shaft sits in the ujoint (shaft end). My kid is 12 and only weighs 75lbs. I have ridden it once and i weigh 210.
Can anyone recommend a site other than Winspeed to order parts for these. I tried ordering through the person I bought the bike from (GS Motorworks) but they are telling me it will take three weeks because it will be coming from China. I have been unable to locate another vendor. Does anyone know of an aftermarket vendor. I am desperate to get this thing working again. If anyone can offer any help or suggestions I would be much obliged.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

try raceway!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

An update if anyone cares. Drive shaft has since been replaced. 10 days $300 from winspeed including shipping. They won't just send you the shaft you will receive the whole rearend assembly (Bridge rear assembly). I am still waiting on a warranty replacement from the .com i bought it from. Shaft seems to be made from better materials than the original. My fingers will be forever crossed.
We still have a carburator issue but less of one. I took some advice from the forum and drained the bowl. I think the float was stuck. My next step will be to pull it apart and clean the internals. It used to take a good 15 minutes to start but now it starts on the first push of the starter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know why lots of people have troubles with the carbs. When they ship these overseas they put a gelpack in the float bowl so the float wont bounce around. When you put fuel in them it is supposed to dissolve. Lots of the time it will not dissolve completley. This clogs the jets up and makes it run like crap. The best thing to do is to take the carb apart and clean it yourself. As for the electronic choke problem I do not have the answer for that.

Baybum,
Shouldnt the driveshaft be covered under warranty, or do they send the money back once they get the core back?

Old 02-15-2005, 01:57 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Baybum
An update if anyone cares. Drive shaft has since been replaced. 10 days $300 from winspeed including shipping. They won't just send you the shaft you will receive the whole rearend assembly (Bridge rear assembly). I am still waiting on a warranty replacement from the .com i bought it from. Shaft seems to be made from better materials than the original. My fingers will be forever crossed.
We still have a carburator issue but less of one. I took some advice from the forum and drained the bowl. I think the float was stuck. My next step will be to pull it apart and clean the internals. It used to take a good 15 minutes to start but now it starts on the first push of the starter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I must have missed this when it was first posted, usually dont miss much yamoto stuff. Sorry if you didnt feel appreciated Baybum. Have you gotten reimbursed for that $300.00 drive shaft? That would take the cost per quad pretty high. Clean the carb and install a fuel filter.

2manytoys, I like that gelpack explanation, makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

2manytoys Thanks for the response. What you say makes alot of sense. I plan on cleaning the carb this weekend. As for the drive shaft, I placed a warranty order from the place I bought the atv from. They told me 3 weeks or maybe longer. I'm going on a month today. I anticipated a long wait and decided to hedge my bet and order one from winspeed. It showed up in a week. It was worth it. I couldn't make my kid wait.

mywifesquad, I now feel apreciated thanks. I plan on taking your advice and will definitely add a fuel filter. I kick myself for not getting the 150. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the shaft problem.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:41 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Baybum, please keep us posted on that shaft warranty issue. Hate to ask, but any other problems with the 110? Is there anything you like about the 110?

Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

mywifesquad, All in all I'm pretty pleased with the performance when it is running. Its pretty sandy and swampy where I live and the 110 handles it great. I like the agressive look also. I will definitely keep everyone posted.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Baybum
mywifesquad, All in all I'm pretty pleased with the performance when it is running. Its pretty sandy and swampy where I live and the 110 handles it great. I like the agressive look also. I will definitely keep everyone posted.
Your son have any trouble shifting it? I have heard they can be stiff new.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep. Forgot to mention that. My son has worked out a move where he hooks his tow under the shifter, lifts up and back to get enough leverage to make the shift. I guess I take it for granted now. I just traded a ladder for a KX 80 last week and I've been teaching him how to shift using a clutch. He started out trying to shift it like the 110. I quickly broke him of that. Big difference betwen the two.
I was reading the post on the oil leak. Thats one problem I haven't encountered yet.

Quick Reply: Yamoto 110 Carb / Drive Shaft Issues