Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 with strange cold start troubles...need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 with strange cold start troubles...need help

Hi All, first post here...

Got the quad last week from grandpa who bought it new and it had sat for some time, but it is like NEW. Only ridden on the streets.

Cleaned out the tank,carb thoroughly and it would only start for a sec with choke and then die. Take choke off crank for a while, choke it, it would start for a sec then die (I mean a second...no more)

removed the intake side from carb and put my hand over it, leaving just a little gap, and it fires right up.

So I said OK filter must be very clogged... Took it apart and cleaned it, but it was spotless.

Once started I can put intake back ono and it runs fine as long my boy wants. Runs like a top.

Any clues? Did I leave anything out?

PLEASE help... Afterall this is the perfect time to be riding, SNOW!!!

Thanks and let me know if you need more details

Roger

Old 01-21-2005, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are your fuel lines letting enough fuel thru? maybe clogged? i don't understand how it ran when you removed intake from carb.. because then you'd be getting no fuel. also, there are vent lines on the carb that need to be clear, make sure each line is blown out/clear. have you tried to start it with the petcock in the "on" or "prime" position? in the "on" position, you need vacuum for the gas to flow, on prime, it should just flow no matter what. If you do determine it's a petcock problem (which is kinda my guess), you can put a brand new Yamaha Banshee one on for 1/4 the price of a Suzuki one. also, make sure gas tank vent line is clear.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I removed the air filter side (air cleaner box) from the carb. Why shouldn't it start then? It starts right up...

The petcock test fine. I sucked on the vacuum side while in "on" position and gas flowed. I also tried starting from prime as well..

gas vent line I blew clear also.

No clue what might be doing this...

Old 01-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel the problem is in the carb. Obviously the choke circiut isn't working properly.
Did you remove the choke when you cleaned the carb?There are lil holes that could be plugged with varnish as the machine sat for a while.
Welcome to the forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

ahh i was hoping you'd chime in as it seems you are pretty knowledgeable here...

I checked the choke circuit and blew air through it and all seemed ok.

Choke on does raise idle correctly.

My guess is carb too. Just don't know what... I cleaned it 2x.

Question for you:
When the choke is off(down), should it (the black ****)sit all the way down on the rubber choke cover?

Mine is like an 1/16th to 1/8th high. When I remove the choke assy, it goes down all the way...

But then again it runs perfect in the of position so I assume it's normal.

the choke on this carb is an enleanment correct? It's not shutting off airflow...so I'm wondering what's making it stay running when I remove the inake assy and cover part/most of it with my hand ??

Thanks for the welcome.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'd say it's normal (choke position).
The choke circiut does not lean. It richens it.
FYI: I do not run the clamp on the front of the carb for this reason. Every now and then they get a burp in em and they need hand choked so I just pry the rubber off and stick my fingers in front of the carb (like I presume you are doing) to hand choke it. The rubber is form fit and I've not ever had a problem with leaving that clamp off.
I guess you should run it a while to see if the bug works it's way out of it.
It's in the lil channels/holes. Carbs have been known to go bad from these passages plugging up.
I read somewhere that there is no amount of soaking that will help. I agree.
Please keep us informed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ahh enriched.. ok

anyway, yes thats exactly what i was doing...

I'll pull the clamp off and get through the winter that way... once weather warms up i'll try looking at the carb again.

Thanks again.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Wilson Co, did you pull the reeds out and have a look at them when you had the carb.off? If the the choke circuit is clean thats where I would start, cause the reeds are your valves,if they arent sitting flat it's just like having a valve hang open. Hope this helps, Jason

Old 01-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

didn't check it at all since the bike is so new.... but I think the next time I pull the carb off that'll be a must do.

Thanks a lot guys.

I'll keep you posted once weather warms up...

Old 01-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

FYI: Don't expect the reed to be 100% closed. I have a reed cage here now that the reed does not lay 100% flat. I've seen quite a few of the LT80's reed cages like this.When the piston pressurizes the bottom end, it closes it 100%.I feel this is not a problem if it is up a lil.
Now if the reed is cracked, that's a possibility as that's what happens to stock reeds.

Quick Reply: LT80 with strange cold start troubles...need help