Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Why change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why change?

I have put the Hetrick powerup kit on the kids Scrambler 90. It seems quite a bit faster. I have read that the 20mm Keihin carb is the next thing I should do but I will have to disconnect the oil injection. Iyt seems like a lot of money and work. What is the benefit? Will there be more power? If so how much?
Thanx

Old 02-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Range Rover
Default Why change?

I'm in the process right now of redoing my sons AC 70 for the 05 GNCC National season. I 'm going with the 20 mm Keihin carb and Korso racing intake, with the pod filter in my own design of XC airbox. This is the way to go. Yes it is alot of money. But if you want tho most HP out of all your mods you have to go this route. Money is no object when it comes to taking the checkered flag!

Old 02-05-2005, 02:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Why change?

Wouldn't buying a ETON 90 and modding that be a better route?

Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why change?

Originally posted by: Cammer
I have put the Hetrick powerup kit on the kids Scrambler 90. It seems quite a bit faster. I have read that the 20mm Keihin carb is the next thing I should do but I will have to disconnect the oil injection. Iyt seems like a lot of money and work. What is the benefit? Will there be more power? If so how much?
Thanx

Yes, with a clamp on filter you'd get more power and better throttle response. I think easier starts with the better carb and premix too. A lot of people even go bigger than 20mm.

The stock carb would probably need tweeked to get a clamp on to work and the size would limit air intake anyway. But even if you increase the air and fuel with the stock set-up, how would you adjust the oil injected to get the ratio back on target? I sure thought Rich recommended removing the oil injection for his power-up kit?

Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Range Rover
Default Why change?

Rich does suggest the removal of the oil injecter. It said it right in the instructions in the Power up kit I put in.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why change?

Yeah,
He does recommend it. I am just worried about resale value once the oil injection is removed. Also was hoping for more hp to justify the expense and work!

Old 02-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Range Rover
Default Why change?

First of all on the resale value on a used race bike isn't going to be very much. Unless you find another fellow racer who is just starting into racing. The quad has had the heck run out of it if it's been raced. Now on the HP problem. I don't know what you were expecting, these quads are only 70 and 90cc. When I built his into a 70cc quad I was shocked. This mini is 1 sick mini.I wouldn't want anymore HP for a 6 yr old to race in the woods.This mini will fly with my 165 lbs but on it.He also rides a Polini x3 works 50cc full blown race bike which has 13 HP and only weighs about 65 lbs, and he says the quad is just as fast in the woods as it is.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why change?

I think bluetrick is right unlees your doing your riding in the sand, the you need all the power you can get. But we are talking about two different applications here.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why change?

I should have told you about my situation. I am not interested in racing the bike at all. We live in the Sierra Mountain area which is primarily large sandhills. I was sick of pushing or towing the quad so I bought the power up kit to help. I also put a K/N right on the stock card and changed the CDI. My question is... what is the gain of spending $250 on the carb, intake and reeds as well as messing with mixing fuel. Will there be any noticable improvement?
Thanx

Old 02-09-2005, 11:33 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why change?

Originally posted by: Cammer
as well as messing with mixing fuel.

What I was trying to tell you is you're running a risk of burning up your engine by increasing the fuel/air but not increasing the amount of oil. You need to go premix regardless of power gains.

At least switch to a full synthetic (if you can find one) rated up to 100:1 ratio.

Quick Reply: Why change?