Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?

I'm stuck between a 2 or a 4 stroke. What does best over rocky trails with a moderate grade of 15-25 degree incline/decline? Would a 4 stroke do best with gearing like a Grizzly 80? or what? You can't scream up such trails, you have to go slow and easy. I'm wondering if a 2 stroke just isn't built for that kind of trail riding as they motate with higher rpm's. I'm buying for my 8 yr old who does rather well on atv's skill wise.

Any input would be great.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Tough question to answer when talking about the small machines. Either one is going to be tasked to climb steep hills.... 4 strokes have more torque due to rotating mass, 2 strokes can attain higher speeds on moderate terrain... 4 strokes last a good deal longer between rebuilds generally, however a rebuild on a 2 stroke is a snap comparatively. I guess is comes down to what you are most familiar with, and can trust. If hills are an issue, I'd go 4 stroke for the torque... plus 2 strokes are under attack by the environmentalists.. not sure how much longer they will be allowed. The main thing is to get a machine that the child is comfortable with, and properly sized for... they will have fun no matter what is between their legs..

Old 02-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For which ever engine type or brand you do decide to purchase, you may also want to consider lengthening its tail and gearing it down. In other words, installing a longer Swing Arm to reduce the risk of front to back roll-overs on the steep hills. And, gearing it down via sprocket changes will give the engine even more bottom end power (but does lower top end max speed) for those really steep hills. Both of these design changes / design improvements for your unique riding conditions will make your unit much safer as well.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

Great ideas. Living in Idaho, it's the nature of trail riding. There are no flat trails in the mtn's. It's up and down, a load of fun, but you got to have the right machine. 2 strokes are made for the dunes in my mind and 4's are meant for hill climbing. But I could purchase a 2 stroke (400-600$) cheaper and modify it a bit. Ultimately, I'd rather purchase a 4 stroke, but the wife put a limit on me (it's best).

Any more ideas?

Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

I don't know if your young rider can handle it but the trx 90 is a perfect quad for the woods. They are tuffer then heck. They have great power for the hills with the gears and 4 stroke power. Just my .02 cents worth.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son takes our TRX90 anywhere we go with our full size 4x4's. The only thing that can stop him is if he ever gets high centered in a rut. The TRX90 is not only a 4-stroke, but it's also got a real 4-speed tranny with auto clutch, as well as brakes controlled by hand (right = front, left = rear) and a rear brake foot control too.

We do mostly slower, technical riding and have a full skidplate on the TRX. Top end and flat trail performance on our stock Honda 90 compares to our stock Suzuki LT80.

Jaybee

Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Here's a few more ideas to think about....

Is this your first mini??? Sounds like it is. Go for a used one and modify it for your unique riding conditions. Being on a strict financial budget, just like my family, modify one item at a time. Where possible, try to find cost cutting savings.

If you need a longer Swing Arm, you could get your local welder guy to make you one (or lengthen the factory arm). Some people do this and if welded properly, this modification can last a long time. If you gear down &/or lengthen the Swing Arm, ensure you purchase the custom size sprockets and new chain at the same time. Putting a new chain on old sprockets makes them wear out much faster. Being on hills and trails, you may want to make your mini wider as well. On some minis, you can turn the factory off-set rims backwards. For others brands, you can buy &/or make your own wheel spacers. Being on budget, try to modify your critical safety items first. Then, your next modification in timely intervals (re: 1 mod every 4 months).

In a way, I kinda like the idea of buying a used mini. If you have your eye set on a certain brand, you can use a mini-quad forum (like this one) and search for any "technical or engineering" weak spots it may have. Also focus on the upgrades that others are doing. For your unique riding conditions, you can then determine if that mod is right for you, then budget for that item. Buying new is great (re: should last longer, higher resale value, more features) but sometimes, engineering weak spots don't appear until 2+ years down the road.

Regardless of new or used mini, there is a risk that your young rider many drive it once (or a few times) then park it. Mini-quading isn't for everyone. Or, your young rider may NEVER want to get off its seat. If getting used, you and your young rider can then determine what you like and don't like about the brand you picked. These Lessons Learned can then be used for the next brand you "may" want to upgrade to. If parked after 1 season, you can quickly sell it and recover your dollars. Another reason to only perform a few customized upgrades every 6+ months.

If water exists in many of your up/down trails, I would recommend you NOT get a mini with an open CVT tranny. For a picture, surf: - Press Here -

As seen above, water gets into their belt and/or kick starter gears and can create all sorts of damage. Many brands of 2 strokes have open CVTs. If more then 6" of water and/or water splashing is your ultimate riding pleasure, then go with a 4 stroke. One that has a sealed tranny. For your types of trails, manual or semi-automatic gears would be something to focus on as well.

Regardless of what brand of mini you do get, you'll probably want to add a few Trail Only customized mods.

Hope this helps as well....

Old 02-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

If you prepare your quad right it will go thru anything. My son's Arctic Cat 70 has been put thru creeks a foot deep,pinned wide open. I've seen his wheels burried in mud like you wouldn't believe. He never had a DNF in 16 or 17 XC races in the 04 season. The quad is tore all apart geting it ready for the 05 season. The stator and the clutch system still look like new inside. I took it all apart to clean it all up and it was in fine shape. I also took the brakes apart, because everyone always talks about the poor brake system. Believe it or not they were in perfect shape. What I'm geting at is you can prepare these quads to go thru anything. But I've seen some that would smell water and they would die. I myself use a spray that gels like rubber. If you waterproof them they will be fine.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Range Rover

Don't the lack of floor boards create problems such as the TRX's have? My nephew has a Raptor 80 and can't ride in wet conditions as the front wheels soak his feet and legs. Are there after market mud gaurds that protect better?

Old 02-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider

Personally, I like floor boards and/or nerf bar netting. To me, foot pegs are very unsafe. If you don't want to get "as wet", I'm sure 3rd party rubber mud flaps can be installed on the fenders somehow. But to me, the muddier one gets, the more fun one has. Especially when you push your young rider out of the mud and he/she guns it!! Talk about mud over one's face shield. Those are the memories I get to bring up on my son's wedding day.

Quick Reply: What's the best 80/90 for moderate terrain trail riding?