Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

DO I NEED TO ADD A TOOTH ON THE LT80

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO I NEED TO ADD A TOOTH ON THE LT80

I think that I read somewhere in the kids quad area that for the dunes people are adding a tooth on the front sproket from a blaster to help with dune speed or a little more wheel spin on the lt 80, Im not sure where to find it, there is so much info that I have read I am not even sure if thats what I read or not.I got a dg pipe uni filter and gonna do the pulley trick about removeing two bolts on the pulley, will the sproket swap help or am I making that up in my head,To much info, LT 80 overload.If you run that sproket let me know,or let me know if my memory is just wrong... thanks,Baldy

Old 03-18-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baldy,
Not sure what you mean about removing bolts from the pulley. Do you mean the clutch drive belt? There are no bolts to remove. I think what you mean is to remove some of the rollers from the front clutch. Keep in mind once you do this you will have to service / replace rollers in the clutch every few hours. This is a pain in the As_. I would leave the clutch alone unless you plan on racing track. My boy used a stock set up in the dunes, track and desert without any problems. One thing on the clutch that I recently found out is there is a drain plug underneath the clucth case cover. Make sure you drain it after each mudd bogg or good cleaning. Remove those restrictors I was talking about and you will be a happy camper~

Hymis

Check this link for a complete specs and break down on the lt80 every Lt80 owner should look over this.

http://216.37.204.205/Suzuki_OEM/Suz...?Type=12&A=115

Old 03-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer

I am not sure either,thanks for the info on the CLUTCHES I will keep her stock.As for the drain plug that is good to learn I will have to see what u are talking about,we mostly ride in the woods so a lot of cleaning is nessecary and my boy wont let me even scrub a thing he washes it even when its clean.So I am sure if water can get in there he is gonna do it..Thanks

Old 03-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

Hymis, I don't know where you got your clutch service info, but unless you totally abuse it (holding it wide open when it cannot spin the tires, slipping the clutch) clutch maintaince is really no more with 4 rollers, than it would be with all the rollers in it on a simi-stock LT. The problems with the rollers comes from slipping the clutches from higher hp machines and just abuse. It will wear flat spots on them from where one side is spinning and the other is not. Removing 2 rollers will help with the take off. Going up a tooth on the front will raise top speed, but hurts take off. I would think for the mods you listed, the type of riding your going to do, that removing 2 rollers might help.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this e-mail in my inbox from Jack Moore who built my LT80. This kind of explains a little.

Tuning clutchs to the piped motor:: This done with the weight of the rear clutch shoes and the roller weight. I should get you very close on this. You will have 3 rollers in the front clutch instead of 6. You may have to drill the rollers out to lighten them from there. Every machine is different but I've tuned enough of these Trinity pipes in so again, it should be very close.
Drill rollers: I use 2 sockets. One just big enough to let the metal part of the roller go into. The other small enough to fit on the metal part. I then hammer/press the metal part out. you can then drill the metal part and hammer/press back in the plastic.You should have extra rollers at all times. A lathe is recommended for drilling, but vise grips and a drill can be used with patience.
[b]Maintenence:: Clutch maint. is a must. Once done a cpl. times, this job can be done in 5-10 minutes. You are basically checking the rollers for flat spots. any flat spot or grooving of the roller plastic, the roller needs replaced. I also sand the rear shoe contact pads with a #80 grit sandpaper (LIGHTLY) to get the glaze off. This can be done every other clutch service. I recommend clutch maint. before a weekend ride or race.....I used to do clutch maint. every moto..Some would run all weekend.[b]

Old 03-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

The thing here is that yours is a "BUILT" motor. Baldy mentioned his is basicly stock, with a pipe. I don't think his clutches will have nearly as much abuse as yours. (just from all the added power) To each their own, but how many stock LT's out there that check their rollers before every ride? Ours was a 105cc, mild port job, reeds, filter, airbox mods, pipe, major clutch mods, 12 tooth front sprocket and 18x9.5 shredders and we run 4 stock weight rollers for over a year with no problems at all. (and I did check them often) Jack knows what he's doing, and I am sure he had reasons for telling you that, but baldy's case is a little different.