Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Suzuki Lt80 rear disk brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Lt80 rear disk brake conversion

Hi from the uk, have any of you guys converted the rear brake on the lt80 to disc?
I'm wondering if there is a ready made kit available, My main problem is that the LT is in a reasonable state of tune & quite a bit quicker than expected so stoping seems a little inadequate, I have over hauled the brakes & the fronts are great now but the rear drum is badly worn so im wandering wether I would be better off converting to disc rather than buying a new drum.

What I'm proposing is to use a hydraulic clutch master cylinder from a vfr750, a disk & carrier from a race cart & a single pot sliding front caliper from an aprilia rs50, then remove the brake pedal completely

Does anyone know the shaft size where the rear brake drum fits?
Has anyone out there already done this?
Any tips, hints or advise on do's & dont's would be great.
Thanks all.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

I bought ebc metallic brakes with the grooves cut into the shoe. It made a huge difference in braking. They are also designed to self clean. I have been very happy and they only cost around 25.00. Much cheaper than a rear disc conversion.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've seen a cpl of these. I've not seen a giant advantage, especially for the price and trouble.
At any speed we can lock the rear wheels up. The problem w/LT80 rear brakes is getting them to return. I put a spring on.
If you have the stuff and time,,GO FOR IT! It surely cannot hurt. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi chumbini,
The ebc shoes are not really an option as the drum is dead, as bits over here are a fortune & shipping from u/s for one is expensive due to the weight ive decided to go for the home made disk conversion watch this space !!!!!!!
Dave

Old 05-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds awesome. I'm always interested in innovation. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

I'll tell you what I'm thinking about this::
I took the stock drum and lathed the hub part off.Now I have the splined part with 5 flat fingers on it.
Now I figure I'll make a 3/8 inch aluminum spacer and bolt the spacer to the flat fingers left on the stock hub, then bolt the rotor to the spacer.
Making a bracket to mount the caliper should be the easy part. I'm planning running a support from the 2 holes that the chain guard bolts to and running another support up to the pipe mounting plate for strength when the brakes are applied.

I'm using 300ex front brake parts. I'm sure your on the right track for parts in the UK. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now in another long breath:::
I made a bushing for the round end of the brake pads and drilled the pads to match. This made the brake shoes expand farther than stock. I then lathed the hub down to make it work like new.
Alot of fooling around, but was cheap.
Have fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hey spike, you should put this one in the archives. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

let me know how it turns out.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi jack,
Yes I had considered going down a similar route with my rear drum but decide to try on the sprocket side first so if it dont work too well I still got the drum brake to fall back on should I need to, But I do think that the drum side is a better option especially having the large flat back plate to mount the caliper, but as i dont have a spare drum & had a spare sprocket i decided on the cheaper option & if it works fine then hey imagine the stoping power of a rear drum & disk, Id have to find a way of sticking it on the front.

On the lighter side I got my 3 yr old twin lads Lt50 quads so boy are we up for some fun this summer.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi chumbini
Will do , I'll try post some pics when its done if I can work out how to do it

Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Your using a disc mounted on the sprocket hub? Hmmmmmmmm May be OK. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Suzuki Lt80 rear disk brake conversion