Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Im gonna get a quad "please help"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im gonna get a quad "please help"

Im thinking of getting a quad thats around a 150-190cc thats under $2000 I was looking at the Yamoto 150 and im not sure if its any good I was also looking at the Yamaha breeze I dont know if they are any good please post if you know any other quad that I would be intrested in or if these are any good etc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You cant go wrong with any Yamaha product. The breeze is a good little atv. Out of all the chinese atv's Yamoto maybe the most well known. It is a reliable machine, plenty of power but the suspension is stiff. Most kids dont care about the suspension but if you are an older kid, teen or small adult the ride can be rough. I have a Kazuma rfx 110 for my 7yo and he loves it. It has been trouble free so far. It can easily pull an adult around in 1st and 2nd but 3rd you better be on a straight rd with no incline. Do you want automatic, semi auto or clutch? If you want a clutched atv look at the Akuma or Quazi 200cc. I have a friend that bought one for his son and it is a nice machine.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

Yamotos are very nice products, but historically have had very stiff suspension....so stiff, in fact, that some people have cut a couple coils off of the front coil springs to make the ride better.

Redcat/Kazuma/Jackel each offer a similar product, but with much better suspension and weld quality on the frames. In my opinion as a welder and atv rider, the welds of a Redcat/Kazuma/Jackel rival Yamaha or Suzuki welds.

Jonathan

Old 04-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes they do have some nice welds. If they would fix the suspension and some of the smaller issues I think they would be up there with the name brands.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

i bought my son a eton viper 150 he loves it fully auto cvt tranny easy to use no shifting susp. is good style he loves it's sporty looking he likes that i bought it threw dicksatv.com i live in southern maine they are up north way up there but he gave me a hell of a deal $2399.00 we love it. + they have been around for a long time

Old 04-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

What suspension problems are you referring? We feel the suspension is some of the best we've seen on Chinese imports: not too stiff; not too soft; adequate travel; adjustable preload.

Jonathan

Old 04-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

save your money dont waste 2 grand on an asian import .when you get enough about 3500 go buy a new honda trx 250 ex. reliability ,long jeverty ,and performance thats pretty good along with resale of a well taken care of machine they cant be beat for entry level with room to grow

Old 04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

four4fish, We can make a Redcat FX-250 run better than a Honda 250EX, and as fast as a 300EX. By the way, a lot of big manufacturers are actually building their bikes in China, too. Anyways, $3500 is quite a bit more than $2000 bucks...like almost twice as much, and if you're really concerned about resale value, you shouldn't buy any type of ATV, as the depreciation hit is quite large on any ATV or motorcycle. Why only room to grow with the Honda and not an import? I'm curious if you've actually looked at and ridden a Redcat, Jackel, or Kazuma? I'm not talking about just reading all the posts on message boards, but have you actually ridden one and inspected them? The frame quality and suspension components, for the most part, are of equal or greater quality as the mid-level Yamaha or Suzuki quads. There are Chinese imports that are not as high in the quality department, so I was specific about the types I recommend. As with any new products, there are growing pains...including the coveted Honda ATVs. Here is an exerpt of a Honda recall on two types of its ATVs from 2000:

" Nov. 18--WASHINGTON--American Honda Motor Co. Inc. of Torrance, Calif., is recalling about 126,000 all-terrain vehicles in two models for different problems that could cause drivers to lose control and crash, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Monday.

The two models are the Honda Rancher TRX350 ATV and the Honda TRX400EX ATV. A mounting bracket on the front suspension of the Honda Rancher TRX350 models could be welded improperly to the frame. If the mount breaks, the vehicle could lose steering control, the commission said."

I'm not bashing Honda because I've ridden plenty of them; I'm only trying to make the point that as long as humans...any humans, whether they be American, Chinese, or Japanese...build these products, there will be some sort of problems.

Jonathan

Old 04-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer

ogfalcon you sound like a dealer , and yes i have looked into all different types of quad and after doing so bought 2 asian quads for my 2 boys what a mistake i have 1 about 1 year old torn apart ready for a rebuild .also ogfalcon iwasnt talking about speed at all, you can im sure make a 90cc eton faster than a 250 ex. the trail systems my family and i ride on have a 25 mph speed limit. makes me so mad when an @$$ flies by my wife 2 boys in the middle and myself . but as they say the road is long and has no turns. and i KNOW a honda will pass that asian on the side of the road when it breaks down and keep on driving for many years. any one that says a honda isnt the best and most reliable quad out there doesnt know anything there talking about. how can you compare a 250 ex to an asian quad?????????also i didnt say buy a yamaha i think the worst and suz uki 2nd worst japan made quad i said a honda. i also said resale because it sound like its going to be upgraded fairly quickly 1st quad and i beleive a honda retains its value more so than others. does it ?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer

four4fish: In no way did I try to offend, so please try not to get so spun-up. I'm truly sorry about the luck you are having with you Chinese products. Like I posted earlier, there are some Chinese brands that are better than others, just like there are better Japanese brands than others. Despite this, though, you can have problems with ANY brand. I had a Honda Z50 and it was bulletproof, an FL350 Odyssey that had average reliability, and a 250 Odyssey that was a piece of junk; no ifs, ands, or buts, about it...junk.

In one of your previous posts, you stated that the 250ex had better performance than than the Chinese imports. Having ridden both of them, this is not the case. Of course, I assumed by "performance" you meant speed, but I could have been wrong. In no way did I compare the Chinese quads to Honda quads; I compared the Chinese quads to the Yamaha and Suzuki quads, and the "performance" of the Chinese quads to the "performance" of the 250ex and 300ex. Semantics, really, but worth pointing out. Have I ever said that Honda wasn't the best quad out there? Or did I just simply state that all Quads and Bikes take a huge depreciation hit the moment you drive them off the lot, and that the Honda is nearly twice the price of a Chinese import?

As for the Yamaha and Suzuki being the worst quads out there, as you stated in your post, that is just untrue.....the YFZ-450 is pretty much the baddest quad ever made...competition-ready, out of the box. The Yamaha R1 and R6 Superbikes are the most popular choices with Super-X racers, today. The Suzuki QuadSport 80 was one of the most popular kids' ATVs in 2003 and 2004. Gosh, if anyone was a dealer, it sure sounds like you're a Honda dealer....Don't get me wrong, as I have posted before, there is no comparison when it comes to Honda build quality; they are number one...but you WILL pay for that quality.

There's no doubt a Honda retains its value better than a Chinese quad, but the Chinese quads are so affordable, the lower cost sometimes offsets the greater resale value of the Honda (and many of the "big name" manufacturers).

If you have your heart set on a Honda, and can afford one, go buy one. However, some people can not afford a Honda, and that is where the reputable Chinese ATVs have their market.

I do agree with you, though, that there are some jerks on the trails....luckily, though, their machines often have more power than the riders have brains. I have enjoyed this thread.

Jonathan

Quick Reply: Im gonna get a quad "please help"