Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Received Unison Desert Cat 90 Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Received Unison Desert Cat 90 Yesterday

Originally posted by: Sandragggen

The only thing I noticed that concerned me is that there is a spuratic rattling noise coming from under the clutch cover....the rear brake lever side. I mainly notice it when it is idling. When you give it gas, noise goes away.

Thanks,
JMiller
I could be wrong but, I believe the rattling noise is the variator weights. At idle the rpm's aren't high enough to keep them seated in the ramps. Engine power pulses will shack them back and forth. The noise is just transmitting to the other side. I know on snowmachine drive clutches the weights can make noise at idle. Ride and enjoy

Old 04-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I could be wrong but, I believe the rattling noise is the variator weights. At idle the rpm's aren't high enough to keep them seated in the ramps. Engine power pulses will shack them back and forth. The noise is just transmitting to the other side. I know on snowmachine drive clutches the weights can make noise at idle. Ride and enjoy
I think your right Bengen and it's probably normal. My old Polaris 400 clutch kinda chattered a bit to. Not knowing exactly how the Unison clutch worked I just wanted to make sure the thing was out of oil that the owners manual sparsely spoke of. Little one rode it today in the sand and the quad performed perfectly. So far everything I read is true....very impressive quad.

JMiller

Old 04-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Range Rover

So how did it do in the sand. Were you able to spin the tires, did the tires do okay. That is why I wanted to get my boy a new quad was so we could go to the sand.

Roman

Old 04-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

So how did it do in the sand. Were you able to spin the tires, did the tires do okay. That is why I wanted to get my boy a new quad was so we could go to the sand.
The sand that we ride in is pretty much flat with no dunes so the tires worked fine for the most part. On one occasion lil girl got caught up trying to climb a berm (+45°) and got stuck. At that time the tires would not spin but keep in mind that I've got the govenor set screw all the way in. I don't see this quad climbing choke cherry, but it will climb the smaller hills with a running start.

JMilelr

Old 04-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Range Rover

With some mods I'm sure it would be able to. I can't wait to mod it. Was riding it around lastnight what a blast! Need to get one for self.

Roman

Old 04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thought about ordering a Desert Cat as well for the kids but was wondering if I could run it in mud, water etc... I live in wisconsin so there would be several different conditions to ride in. Thank you for any information you can give.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2005, 03:02 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: darton43
Thought about ordering a Desert Cat as well for the kids but was wondering if I could run it in mud, water etc... I live in wisconsin so there would be several different conditions to ride in. Thank you for any information you can give.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I would not recommend a cvt for mud or water.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought my son a desert cat 50 and looked over the manual from the link above.

Is the gear oil the only engine oil needed to be changed?

I added some 2 stroke oil to the resevior under the seat already.

I figure the engine oil needs to be changed on break-in.