Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Quad for youngster

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad for youngster

I am considering getting a gas quad for my son. He has been riding power wheels for a couple of years and has been good a great job, riding responsibly, always wearing his helmet and would just like to keep riding longer than the battery will go. Since these little ones grow like weeds I'm assuming a small quad will only last him a few years so I don't want to throw a ton of money at it but I also don't want something that is constantly broken down. I'm considering the Kazuma KMX 50.

http://www.racewayatv.com/Kazuma-KMX-50.php

Does anyone out there have one of these for their kids? Any major issues with the reliability of the quad? Getting parts? etc?

A couple of other concerns: No front shocks and it seems a little narrow. Does the lack of front shocks cause any issues, specifically steering? Has anyone had issues with the quad tipping over since it seems a little narrow.

Has anyone order from Race ATV? Good/Bad experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Kirby32!

You might add his age, size and intended riding terrain.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Raptorlegs,

Thanks for the input. My sons is 5 getting ready to turn six soon. We have 6 acres: 3 acres of yards type grass and 3 acres of pasture type (cut to 5-6 inches) grass rolling hills. There are also quite a few field roads (dirt roads in between the fields) that he rides with me on my quad.

Kevin

Old 04-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you type in "kazuma" within the Search Category: [ ADVANCED ] and press Search button (see previous main section screen), you'll see lots of historical posts on the "kazuma" brand. Some good, some bad and some "improvement suggestions. As a suggestion, perform this historical search and view a few previous posts. Based on this "track record", you could determine the "on avarge" quality, dealer support and parts availability of the Kazuma (or other brands).

Hope this helps as well....

Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a 50cc will suit your needs just fine. While I'm not a fan of the micro-mini's, he's at an age where your probably on the bubble from a size perspective (the micro's will probably fit a little better). In addition to the lack of suspension, I have heard a few other complaints about the meercat 50. 1-not enough room for the child's feet. 2-it's semiauto and most youngins struggle with the concept.

It's hard to argue with the price and looks like a good value. If you decide you'd like to buy a little better machine, you might consider something along the lines of the Kasea mini 50. It has a cvt (continously variable transmission) and a solid engine.

Things I would consider in your shoes:
1. Remote kill switch (or rear tether cord)
2. CVT
3. Independent front suspension
4. Brake light
5. Electric start/with kick backup
6. Parts availability from a local dealer

Good luck with your purchase. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

I did very little research before I bought my son his first atv. Luckily I only lost $600 on the first quad. The second time around I did about 3 months of research (mainly visiting sites like this one and others). There are a few that i found that would suit him for years to come and not cost me nearly as much as the first one did. I narrowed my search between the following: Eton, Kasea, LRX and DRR. I ended up getting a Kasea 50 and Kasea 90. There are good and bad points with all the mini quads. Good luck!! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Cooper

Old 04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Kazuma Meerkat is a great starter quad for smaller kids. If he can drive a power wheels he can drive a meerkat. Like all mini's the suspension is almost nil. But when being that small of an atv it really wont matter. The center of gravity is very low on the meerkat and does surprisingly well. I have delt with Raceway and it is a good place to start. If you have any questions call and talk to John at Raceway. He can help.