Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2005 VIPER 90R CLUTCH REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 VIPER 90R CLUTCH REMOVAL

Hello,I was wondering how to check the 6 clutch rollers on my daughters 05 Viper 90R?
Left hand thread i guess to get that nut off,how do you keep it from turning? How often do you change the belt or spring in this clutch.Looking for a little more top end speed.

I also have one other problem with this thing,when my daughter turns the quad off and then go's to start it again,sometimes the neutral light flashes and the quad will not start,if i move the quad back and forth a little bit then turn the key back on it will start,it's like it can't find neutral.Is there a sensor or something that needs to be cleaned?
Thanks for any help....

Old 04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Dynoport
Hello,I was wondering how to check the 6 clutch rollers on my daughters 05 Viper 90R?
Left hand thread i guess to get that nut off,how do you keep it from turning? How often do you change the belt or spring in this clutch.Looking for a little more top end speed.

I also have one other problem with this thing,when my daughter turns the quad off and then go's to start it again,sometimes the neutral light flashes and the quad will not start,if i move the quad back and forth a little bit then turn the key back on it will start,it's like it can't find neutral.Is there a sensor or something that needs to be cleaned?
Thanks for any help....

You need an torque wrench. Don't remember it being reverse thread. The rollers are on the front variator, the clutch with 3 springs is on the rear. The is also a torsion spring behind the rear variator.

You'd be better off buying a pipe and modding the intake before messing with the rollers or springs.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
geo
Trailblazer

you'll either need an impact wrench to take it off (torque wrench to put back on), or piston-stop tool to screw into the spark plug hole.
the thread is RH. if using an impact to remove, you can use a screwdriver between the starter ring gear and the case webbing to hold the crank while torquing when reinstalling.

you won't find any "top-end" in the stock clutch. the cvt is designed to vary the ratio between crank and gearbox from about 3:1 to about 0.5:1, which is fundamentally defined by how high the belt can move along the sheaves. if you can get the belt to move farther out on the front variator sheave, that would give you more top end - but the travel is limited by how far the rollers can move in their pockets. some guys machine these out a bit.

the roller weights only change the rpm at which the cvt holds the engine, nothing else.

if you want top end, put a bigger front chain sprocket on.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:39 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: geo
you'll either need an impact wrench to take it off (torque wrench to put back on), or piston-stop tool to screw into the spark plug hole.
Mine popped right off with a torque wrench? But i will add that an impact wrench is good for saving the soft screws on the cover.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
geo
Trailblazer

i meant pnuematic impact wrench, not impact driver (like with a hammer). you're right though, those phillips screws on the cover are a pain. i replaced mine with a socket head kit from www.prolinefasteners.com. ask for jeff.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

i meant pnuematic impact wrench, not impact driver (like with a hammer). you're right though, those phillips screws on the cover are a pain. i replaced mine with a socket head kit from www.prolinefasteners.com. ask for jeff.
Sorry Geo, brain fart on my part. You're right. Thanks for correcting me.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

the thread is RH. if using an impact to remove, you can use a screwdriver between the starter ring gear and the case webbing to hold the crank while torquing when reinstalling.

you won't find any "top-end" in the stock clutch. the cvt is designed to vary the ratio between crank and gearbox from about 3:1 to about 0.5:1, which is fundamentally defined by how high the belt can move along the sheaves. if you can get the belt to move farther out on the front variator sheave, that would give you more top end - but the travel is limited by how far the rollers can move in their pockets. some guys machine these out a bit.

the roller weights only change the rpm at which the cvt holds the engine, nothing else.

if you want top end, put a bigger front chain sprocket on.
RH Thread meaning normal thread?
Where can i find a front sprocket,should i go up one or two teeth of course i would like to stick with the stock chain.
Thanks

Old 04-12-2005, 01:56 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Sorry Geo, brain fart on my part. You're right. Thanks for correcting me.

I got a lot of dilly mcjiggers laying around my garage! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005, 01:56 PM
geo
Trailblazer

you'll be hard pressed to stay with the stock chain, unless it's already stretched (in which case you should replace it!).

RH = standard thread

sprocket source - dunno, which style is it - two screws with retainer, or big nut.

i'd go 2 teeth.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

you'll be hard pressed to stay with the stock chain, unless it's already stretched (in which case you should replace it!).

RH = standard thread

sprocket source - dunno, which style is it - two screws with retainer, or big nut.

i'd go 2 teeth.
it's two screws with retainer,looks like the same one as i have on my Blaster.

Quick Reply: 2005 VIPER 90R CLUTCH REMOVAL