Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

polaris 90 predator

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris 90 predator

Well let me ask you something. How do you know when the stator is bad or going bad. The battery goes down real fast and we have to kick start it. I figured it was just the battery. Thats what I was going to do next. Replace the battery. They want $50 at the yamaha dealer. What about wal-mart battery. They have one would it be alright? THANKS PS Do you think not having the spark plug cap on correctly have any effect on the charging of the battery?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:07 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: kysupestar99
Well let me ask you something. How do you know when the stator is bad or going bad. The battery goes down real fast and we have to kick start it. I figured it was just the battery. Thats what I was going to do next. Replace the battery. They want $50 at the yamaha dealer. What about wal-mart battery. They have one would it be alright? THANKS PS Do you think not having the spark plug cap on correctly have any effect on the charging of the battery?
My stock battery was awful. Dead everytime I turned around. The replacement has been great. But I relocated mine under the fender to make room for my pipe. $20 for the battery (from walmart) and $5 for the mount.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raptorlegs is correct. The factory batteries in the Pred-90 aren't the best. Some say they are even below average. Our factory battery was really good 2.5 years ago. Today, it won't hold a charge. I can charge it with my 110/12V trickle battery charger and by the next morning, the battery is near flat. I'd love to buy a new battery for our Pred-90 but something about massive basement flood damage, van upgrades, mortgage payments, etc. etc. keep getting in the way. Perhaps one day, I too will have enough spare change to buy a K-Mart / WalMart / Autozone battery replacement. For now, kick starter is our best buddy....

To test your Pred-90's battery's re-charge electrical system, you can:

A - Test the stator power generator output leads with a Digital ohms meter. For picture, surf: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...84444182nXeEcj

B - Disconnect the Red wire going into your battery and connect a 12 Volt 5W - 35W "range" light to it. If possible, use a 12V 10W to 20W bulb for best results. The light's black wire is connected to frame ground and the light's red wire is only touched on the RED wire that goes onto the battery. Only touch up to 5 seconds for testing (re: it isn't a fused circuit). If the light comes on and is steady at different engine RPMs, you know there's current coming out of your stator, into the recitifier/regulator and to the battery via the red wire. Thus, current is going into the battery to try and charge it. In layman's terms of explanation, your "test light" is a dead battery that your Pred-90 is trying to re-charge. Yes, poor man's method of testing the entire system.

To test the entire at a high level, use above method B. Most often, the "factory battery" is shot. Especially if using an older factory battery.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If forget to mention..... ALL batteries are different. If getting a replacement at K-Mart / WalMart / Autozone type store, ensure you obtain a replacement battery with the same "rating codes". The battery codes are in your manual. A good battery box will also list "replaces battery xzy listing" on the outside of their box. If your Pred-90 battery is one of these "replacement for" codes, you found the match. And, saved lots of dollars as well...

Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

I have a 04 predator 90 for my son. I had a problem with it starting last year. It turned out to be the stock spark plug boot was crap. I spent $3.00 and got a NGK boot for it and have not had a problem since then.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

one problem i have found with the plug cap while racing is they break inside. if you look inside the cap you will see the metal hole the plug fits in. this hole has 2 clips that clip on the threads of the plug. one of these clips will break and the plug cap will not fit on tight any longer. best fix i have found is go to the cycle shop and get a cheap non resister plug cap. they look like a plug cap on a lawn mower. this cap you leave the little metal cap on the spark plug to use.

Mark

Old 04-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A note on batteries . This is not scientific.

They more plates they have the stronger the battery is. However less room for acid.
The less amount of plating the weaker the same battery would be but more room for the acid.
The battery that has the most acid last the longest with out deterioration.
Vibration also is a large factor in deterioration.
I would recommend replacing all batteries at the beginning of the season, they will not repair them selves and also imbalance the entire eectrical system. Putting a strain on other components to keep up.