Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Unison Desert Cat 90 oil levels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unison Desert Cat 90 oil levels?

I received my Desert Cat 90 yesterday and was pleased with the quality of this atv. I have a couple of questions though. First off, the manual talks about SAE 20 engine oil and SAE 90 gear lube. There are two areas where they have fill and drain plugs. The right side has a drain plub on the bottom and a fill plub half way up the housing. Is this the CVT tranny oil or is it for the gear lube. The second fill and drain plugs are on the left side of the quad and the fill plug has a cone shaped bottom. Is this for the SAE 20 engin oil or the gear lube? I called up John at RaceATV and he told me that the oil should be seen on the cone shaped filler plug and that this should be changed after one hour of brake in use. Could someone let me know what I really need to be looking for on this and how much oil/lube is needed. Thanks in advance for your help. Darton43

Old 04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most CVT trannys take 7 OZ of fluid. To get oil into a small top hole without making a mess, you may have to use a special squirter tool. To view the $3.00 tool that I use, surf: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...59242189jLZbPs

Unfortunately, I'm not familur with the Unison brand. Perhaps its online manuals may help you more??? To obtain a copy of these manuals, surf: http://www.unisonmotorsports.com/images/products/pdf_10.pdf

Note: I'm a little confused. I thought D-Cat 90 was only available in a 2 stroke. If 2 stroke (re: Oil Injection system), then engine oil is NOT required. 80/90 is the CVT tranny oil. Perhaps they released a 4 stroke version as well???

Hope this helps....

Old 04-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks spike99 for the information. I guess that is why I am confused as well. The DC90 is a two stroke but in the manual it says that SAE20 engine oil and SAE90 gear oil are needed. All I can figure out is that the SAE90 would go into the right side in the tranny (7 oz.) and the SAE20 engine oil would go into the left side. I know two cycle oil is placed into the seperate tank under the seat to mix with the regular fuel so that part is clear, and when I talked to John at RACEATV he stated that the engine oil needs to be high enough on the left side so it shows up on the cone shaped filler plug. I might just give him a call again to make sure all is well and that I understood him correctly. Thanks again. Darton43

Old 04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are probably right. Could be a miss-communication thing. And, it sounds like you have the wrong manual as well. But if you are loosing faith in your local Unison dealer, try calling a different Unison contact. For example:

Paul
pforsythe@unison-atv.com
http://www.unisonmotorsports.com

Sorry. I don't have his phone or full name but he does return emails pretty good.

Hope this helps as well...

Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

So you put the oil in a seperate container under the seat? How often do you have to fill the oil container. And you just put regular gas in the gas tank..not an oil/fuel mixture? I got my sone a 50cc Yamoto and its all right but really wimpy lowend. It won't even go up certain hills and the tires won't spin. I need something with more power for a mini and sounds like this 2stroke might be the ticket??

Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

Thats right just a little tank under the seat that holds the oil. I also use premium gas in all my ATV's just think they run better. I also bought my son a Yamoto 70 before this one and it was just way under powered for what we wanted to do. I would highly recomend the Unison brand.
oh, I don't know how the oil last's in the tank as our first trip out we lost the oil cap so I just took the oil injection out.

Roman