Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt50 advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt50 advice

Hi, because of reading the messages on the forum I've sucessfully taken out the inlet restrictor in my kid's lt50, however it bogs down and stalls when giving it some gas through the thumb. I'm afraid removing this comes to about the sum of my mechanical expertise, has anyone any suggestions how to put this problem right. I don't really want to put the bung in again - especially when there's the promise of more power!!

Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt50 advice

Agvireland, Have you removed the restrictor at the pipe? I too read a mess of strings about my daughters LT50 and the mods I did have worked really well so far. Infact she is consitatly beating the polaris 50 and other suzukis in our racing circut. Heres what I did..

Remove restrictor plates at intake and the exhaust pipe at the head. I also removed the baffle from the end of the pipe and cut the first three inches off of it then put it back in with the pipe cap. Note.. I think an important step was to use jbweld at the intake and bore it out to give good smooth air flow. The Mikuni carb is no more difficult to work on than the old snap tight models we all started on as kids. I live at sea level and used a mid sized main jet 67.5 and removed the first pilot jet. I had read that other guys had used 65 - 70 jets so I went right to the middle to start. Last thing I did was take a 1/2" drill bit and put as many holes in the air box as I could. The thing looks like it was shot with a shot gun but it breathes alot better now.

Little thing probably does 25+mph now and is a lot more reponsive on the throttle. I notice a little bog when I first start it but once its warm it runs like a top. When she gets it nice and hot it runs perfect! Works better in the sand now too.

Whole thing took me an hour including shop time getting the new jet and I am no mechanic..at least I wasn't untill I got the kids thier bikes and started racing.

Presently I have the head mod and pipe kit on order from ctracing. After I put that on I will update its performance.

Good luck

Old 07-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default lt50 advice

Would like to see some pics of your quad and little ones racing I to have a little one who lives for racing if you want to give me your email an ill send you some pics of his 05 lt 50 and him racing it. Do you have wheels an tires, nerf bars? let me know.my email is holeshot@beer.com

Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default lt50 advice

Check out my old thread called lt 50 mods it got my list of mods this far. I love seeing other people building LT 50 for racing know one at are tracks use them they all thought they where to slow till they seen nicks.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default lt50 advice

lt502000,
As I've explored different forums I have saved links to usefull info in my favorites...wouldn't you know it, I have that string saved in my favorites as referance for nerfs and future suspension questions. Where did you get your nerfs? I have read other strings noteing nerfs but nobody has mentioned needing to mod the swing arm. Weld that 3" right in the middle? Also did you fab your spacers or order them? No wheels or tires yet, I am waiting to see what I create with the motor before I give this little monster new shoes.

I sent you a couple of pics of the kids, Check your email. If you could, send me a pictorial of the boy and your mods.

Mike