Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005 | 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Thanks, I'll give the websites a try!

Old 12-28-2005 | 12:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hi everyone...hope all had a very Merry Christmas! Ok, so we finally had the opportunity to test out these little Baja's.....on Christmas day they got a work-out and a half. Both the 50cc and the 90cc ran GREAT. No problems starting these guys at all now (we've probably already logged a good 10 hours on these 2 little guys). The only thing so far is that the skid plate on the bottom of the 90cc broke off - the front screws still function, but the back 2 is where the little plate broke completely off (they broke where the plate has the 2 little arms go up and hold the screws). We've been using zip ties to hold it up, but have to replace those about every 20 minutes or so. Anyone have this issue? We have a pretty bumpy track - LOTS of mud...from snow and recent rain. I am going to try and have them repaired...see if I can have a friend of mine weld the pieces back on but would really like a better solution. Does anyone know if any other atv skid plate would fit on these? I called my local bike shop, but seems they can order for any all makes EXCEPT Baja...figures. I would like a better skid plate - to protect the chain, etc....and something that can certainly take a beating. I know the ground clearance on these aren't that great...would bigger tires help? If so..what size would anyone recommend?

Dogbert..I would love the pdf as well.......I did leave you a private message asking for it as well. THANKS

As for new batteries..highly recommend them..I just took the old batteries out and took them to my local cycle shop where I bought my Yamaha and they got the new batteries for me - the 90cc battery that came in the Baja is junk and it's not even a standard batter size (well, at least mine wasn't). And as 2manytoys pointed out...change the oil - and make sure the spark plug is OK as well. Good luck to all the new Baja owners...it's been a struggle with these things, but hopefully they are worth it. Still have a ways to go to really make up my mind yet - still too many issues for my liking.

Old 12-28-2005 | 12:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hey Baja90wannabe - I'm in Coatesville as well...if you go to the local Cycle Max shop on 322 they are great help there with the battery - I just took the battery out of mine and took them in there and they hooked me up with new batteries, etc. Hope this helps!

Old 12-28-2005 | 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

My skid plate on the 90 also broke off to.Called Baja on it and they are sending me a new one,as it is on back order.When I get it I think I will beef it up with some heavier guage plate on the lower housing.The factory brackets are just way to thin to give any support to the skid plate.

Framer

Old 12-29-2005 | 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Thanks for that, I know where its located and will give them a visit.

Old 12-31-2005 | 01:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

I would strongly suggest to change any new machines oil. I changed mine and could not believe the amount of Floaters and other small items. I have a 90 Baja and the 110. Only got them last week and have found the issues with the batteries. But hey for the price, come on. They are not going to be a top end bike. I just want to get my boy's to learn how to ride and build respect for the atv. I can always buy top o the line as they get older.

Old 12-31-2005 | 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Originally posted by: Sawyer
Originally posted by: spyder7777777
not sure how to email for the pdf files.... i've been looking for a shop manual on these, but would definitely take pdf schematics as a subsititute! kevincarkner@yahoo.ca

please email. thanks.

still have not had luck starting the baja. almost like it's out of gas. kinda catches once in a while then dies. got 110 km on it, and changed the oil. tomorrow i'll check over the gas lines, check for blocks and clean air filter. any other suggestions out there woudl be welcome.

thx.

signed,

very frustrated.
I had the same issue with the 110 I just purchased. I put my hand held Jump Starter to it and it started right up. Once unhooked and it would not start. I have the battery on a charger right now, so we will see what happens in the morning. I will let you know how mine works out.

PS. I'm brand new to this forum and I want to Thank All of you! Very positive thread, good info and advice. You all Rock!

Others have said the Clymer- Honda 50cc-110cc OHC singles 1965-1999 service manual covers these engines. As they are a (or very close) copy of these old Honda engines. I've been meaning to pick one up but haven't got around to it yet.

As for no start on the quad.

Pull the plug- is it wet or dry?

Check for good Spark

if its sparking good and seems dry( not soaked with fuel)

Check for fuel at the carb by pulling off the line there.

then tell us what you find.

Old 12-31-2005 | 03:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hi All,

Had a chance to finally go out a do a little riding on the ATVs today. My son and I went out and put a few miles behind us, my daughter didn't want to have any part of it 'cause it was cold, muddy, etc. (looks like she will be a fair weather rider).

I wanted to update and reply to some of the posts with my experience on oil, air cleaners, and batteries.

OIL - Have to agree with southwestrider and others that have stated that the oil should be changed ASAP. Swapped out the oil in both units a couple of days ago knowing we would be doing a bit of riding over the next week or so. One of the ATVs had 25 kms. (16 miles) on it and the oil was black and contaminated as southwestrider had found on his. The new one with no miles on it looked okay obviously. But I did notice that the oil that was shipped in them was quite thick (it was cold as the ATVs are stored in a shed) which I am sure contributes to hard starting. The day after changing the oil I went out to see if they fired up easier and quite to my pleasure they did. Put in synthetic 10W-30, must have had 20W-50 or something like that that is good in a Canadian winter. So ...... change you oil!!

AIR CLEANERS - Took 2manytoys' recommendation and bought new air filters for the units. Purchased K&N air cleaner (RU-0160) and the pre-charger to go over the filter (22-8009PK). Picked them up today and only had time to swap out the air cleaner on the new one before we headed out to my in-laws to go for a ride. Noticed a bit more pep from a dead start even on the new ATV with an engine that has not been broken in. Will let you know how it changes the other ATV which we have more seat time in and with an engine that has a few more miles on it. Also, it makes the ATV sound different, throatier I guess. So ..... change you air filters!

BATTERIES - We have had pretty darn good luck so far with our batteries. They took a charge when we first filled them any no matter how cold, wet, or otherwise shi??y it has been we have also managed to get the ATVs to fire up. Agree that they can be a pain to keep running when first started but have found that messing with the carb adustment will remedy this. Seem to have them dialed in quite adequately now. So ..... no batteries issues on this end.

I do have one silly question ..... do these units have an alternator or some other way to charge the battery and run the lights? We ride with the lights on all the time and they do not seem to dim (not noticed during night rides) and the batteries seem to be holding up. The main reason I want to know is I was thinking of changing the lights as they are very poor in the dark, want to have something with a bit more distance and candle power but don't want to do this if it will mess with the electrical system. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks again to all of you for your continued input to this forum and all your help.

Happy New Year to you all!!

DogbertTheConsultant

Old 01-01-2006 | 01:37 PM
jef
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Was wondering anyone that its canada know where to get a replacement bulb tried crappytire they didnt have any.....

Old 01-02-2006 | 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Well, after putting the charger on the battery for a night, those bad boys fired up like the 4th of July! No problems at all. Took them out today and spent a little time breaking them in. Seemed to operate just fine. Found fairly good postions for the carb as they seem to be running about right. Looking forward to many more good days. Need to order the K&N Filters now.
Have a great new year!

Quick Reply: Baja 90cc