Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006 | 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

You just let me know when and I will be glad to help.

Old 01-08-2006 | 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

-looked, didnt buy. we would if it had N and or R. we ended up getting the same make and model in 250cc version for $800 (US) more.

Old 01-08-2006 | 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Bought 90cc (green) for xmas for girls... need to know where to go for used replacement fenders (front) in the US. Cheapest we can find is $106 for Raptor-new OEM (blue), Baja $148. Any advice

Old 01-09-2006 | 01:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Jfullam and Baja90wannabe....these machines are very cold natured. What seems to work for us is this: you need 2 people almost to do all this at once, but while you are engaging the brake and pushing the start button with one hand, give it small amount of gas with other hand and have 2nd person play around with the choke - by slightly moving it around it seems to find the right spot and will eventually start. After warming it up for a few minutes by giving lots of gas, we move the choke to down (off) position and it will stay running just fine. If we know we aren't riding for a few days we'll just start them up and let them run for about 10 minutes and when we go to start them after they have been sitting, they give us less trouble. My boys both race motocross, so they give these little atvs everything and more and especially the 90cc has been through mud past the footpegs and still hasn't gotten stuck (which I was very impressed with). I have about 3 acres of land and we've nearly created a track already - lots of sharp turns and mud and small hills..these atvs have handled them great.

2manytoys is a great guy and will help as well..he's the one who helped me before X-mas and he showed us a lot about the atvs - which isn't anywhere in the owner's manual.

So far so good..granted we've broken a few things, but that's to be expected - nothing major mechanically so far to complain about now.

Good luck everyone. We all live so close, we should get our kids together to ride sometime!

Old 01-15-2006 | 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

I think I may have made a mistake... since I was having trouble with getting our new (at X-mas) Baja 90CC to start, I called Baja Service and they cut a work order and asked me to bring it to one of their service centers. Since it was brand new and under warranty, I thought this was a prudent direction to go in...
I brought it down to Roherer's True Value Hardware in Lancaster, PA over the weekend.
After I gave the mechanic the keys he mentioned he would not even be able to begin to look at it for at least a week... after I decribed the problem to him, he also mentioned that the Baja's have had all sorts of issues (mostly wiring) and that if it required ordering a part from Baja, depending on the part, it can take 3-6 months!
He also mentioned he was expecting 4 more Baja's to come in for service... So... I guess my son won't be riding his new ATV for a while...

What has been other folks experience with service.... seeing as the ATV is under a 90 day warranty, I want to find out as soon as possible if I have a lemon and get my money back within the 90 day window...

To recap my issue:

Baja 90CC ATV was purchased 12/22/05 and seemed to run fine thru about 1/1/2006. I went out of town for 1 week and the ATV was left unused in the garage. Upon my return, the engine will not start. ATV has plenty of gas, Engine switch is set to run, lanyard is firmly in and Fuel lever is in ON position. Battery and spark plugs seem to be in good shape and engine sounds like it wants to start but it does not sound like the carb is getting the gas... I can tell that gas is traveling thru the gas line into the carb, beyond that I cannot determine what is going wrong and why it refuses to start/idle. I did try fiddling with the choke in all possible positions to no avail...The oil was replaced the first week it was purchased and ATV was driven no more than 6-8 hours the first week.

Old 01-15-2006 | 11:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Sorry I can not relate to any of the problems mention above and beyond.....but I have had 5 bikes now and know them well...with only minor issues to deal with at best.....bought my atv last May....and its been perfect....other than a weak battery on cold days......there seems to be a fundamental missing lesson here....all my bikes require my gas throttle nut to be threaded out almost all the way....EVERY TIME...apond starting..(leave it there at least 5 mins)..once warm......screw it back in.......my 50cc bike needs that too....on my new Pitbike tells you to do this even with choke on.......my bikes even in the summer need choke.....throttle nut screw out and idle screw set at (|) in the summer and this in (/) in the winter.....anyho hope that helps some....but I guess I've always had good luck with all mine.....or just maybe my Pepboy's get's bike's that have been inspected a little more from the factory......dunno.....forgive me but it sure is hard to relate to any of these electricle or mech. problems whatsoever....and I just can't believe I'm just that lucky on 5 motor bikes from Pepboys.....I can turn a wrench but I'm not that smart really.......and I certinly don't know half the stuff that 2manytoys know's.....he's the man !!!!

Old 01-15-2006 | 12:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

I can relate to jfullam's frustration a little bit. As I have mentioned in previous posts we did have a problem with one of the two ATVs we bought and my gut felling is that the problem was probably caused by us (i.e. running it too hard before it was properly broken in). I too took it in for warranty service as it was in the 90 days and, long story short, after delays I pushed Baja politely and managed to speak to the right people and got a new ATV out of it. The new one has run fine since we got it.

As for the starting problem, I did have a recent problem with one of our units (the original one). It would not start and I was getting frustrated, all the same checks as jfullam has done were done by myself but still it would not run. In the end I messed with the carb settings and it fired up and has run fine since. I don't know how or why the carb settings (air to fuel ratio) would or could have changed but they did. I know it was not the kids as they know better. Maybe something stuck (i.e. float or something) and just messing with it freed it up.

Anyway, lesssons learned from these experiences: 1) don't push them too early in life and they will be fine, 2) warranty service as a last resort (come to my new friends in this forum and get better help), 3) don't let things lie when you are dealing with Baja (they are a busy, growing company and seem a bit overwhelmed by it all at this time), 4) when dealing with Baja, by firm yet polite (I was told by Baja that this is one of the main reasons they agreed with me in replacing the ATV), and 5) monkey with the machine within your boundaries and learn about it so you can debug issues on your own (and with the assistance of the fine people in this forum).

In my opinion jfullam, I would have let 2manytoys look at it first before going the warranty service route. Read all past posts in this forum and you will find very interesting and informative information that will make owning these ATVs more enjoyable and give you insight into how to deal with problems. If I were you I would get the ATV back and get 2manytoys to give it a once over, seems he is willing and able to help out (based on his past assistance provided to others in your area (bruinrider)).

Good luck,

DogbertTheConsultant

Old 01-15-2006 | 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

I've had the baja 90 for the boys now since Aug. and other then a few things at the start its been working fine. As for starting when its cold other than a weak battery mine starts excellent. I know you all say they don't like the cold but mine sure don't mind it! The kids get them going all by themselves no problem.

I have had some trouble with the baja 50 dirt bike. I think part of it was my fault as the air filter was right plugged up a few times. It has a really poor air filter set up it which I knew but I figured it would last the fall till winter when I was going to change it etc. Well I think they sucked a fair bit of dirt in it this summer as they drive the p*ss out of that bike! It got to the point it wouldn't start anymore!! I kind of thought it might be a tight valve and sure enough it was. The intake was tight after I adusted it now starts. But still doesn't start quite as good as it did. I haven't fooled with anymore because its icy outside and the boy "wiped" out on it so I put it away for the winter.

I think it would be a good idea to check the valve clearances on these baja quads too after 20hrs of operation and reset them. The main lines like Honda etc. do the same on there bikes so it should be no different on these chinese copies.

Old 01-15-2006 | 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

Jfullam,

Like I said if you dont want to wait I can help you get it running. I have not heard much about wiring being bad but I have delt with the wiring being wrong. If it ran then it did not run I can almost bet it is not the wiring. I know it is hard for a kids new toy to be broke so if you want the help it is here for you. I dont live far from the Trus Value that you went to.

Old 01-16-2006 | 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Dogbert,
Can you tell me the factory presets for both screws on the carb. I seem to be having the same issue as noted above with my machine running fine, now all of a sudded, it takes an act of congress to get it going. When we first got it, the guy had a hard time getting it to run to show me it was ready to go. He messed with both screws (Idle and not sure what the other is called?). But he did get it to run. I would like to go back to square one and see if that is the problem. All other points look good except the Battery and I think I will just upgrade that bad boy.
Any help you or 2MANYTOYS could give would be appreciated.
Thanks,
SWR

Quick Reply: Baja 90cc