Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006 | 09:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

suzukijoe,

I agree with Bozzy, they are pretty dependable machines. If you take the time to read thru the posts in this forum you will see that this forum is used primarily by owners or potential future owners of Baja ATVs. We discuss any issues, and good points, we have had with our machines. We try to be as specific as possible for our friends in this forum so that we can give them input on what to expect and how to fix it. We also let other forum members know what we have done to modify our ATVs and how the mod worked out. We appreciate input from all those who come to this forum but saying "they brake down alot" doesn't help us. Please be more specific and not just critical. How is the ATV being ridden? In what kind of terrain? What exactly broke on it? How did your friend deal with the issue? Etc. This type of information is appreciated.

DogbertTheConsultant

Old 02-07-2006 | 05:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

I agree DogBert and Bozzy..this forum has been fantastic...I would have taken both of mine back a long time ago had it not been for the people here. Our 90cc atv has been put through the test and just a few minor things have happened - our 6 year old really gives that thing a good beating at least 2 times a week - for hours at a time! I would purchase another one..and just might once the 6 year old grows out of the 90cc...he's already driven my 350cc Yamaha Bruin and is getting braver and braver and faster and faster. The little 50cc has been perfect...the only thing that's happened to that one is the chain came off. Both atv's have been crashed into trees, stuck in the mud, rode in the rain, and slid on the snow...and they have been awesome. I can even do all the maintenance on them myself now thanks to 2manytoys and it saves me from having to call Baja (I can honestly say they've been less than ideal to deal with and if I just had to deal with them instead of this forum, I would say the heck with Baja). Thanks again everyone..

Old 02-07-2006 | 06:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Thanks B.R.,...sounds like fun...Hey how much was your new K&N air filter ?........I think you mention getting that install as well....may get one.....been looking at some bigger tires as well.....found some at Gander Mountain for cheap......I went ahead and got the Everstart battery (since our bike would not start with that cheap china battery last week).....and change the oil again in all our bikes......clean the plugs too.....very dirty......I need to stay on top of that.........maybe change the oil every 6 months.....Artic cat recommends once a year.....but it gets dirty fast......wish we would get a little snow for more atv sledding again because the soft rubber on the tires is wearing a little low after 9 months but we do a little too much street riding......we'll get some bigger and better ones later on.......until next time...."KEEP ON RIDING !!!!"

Old 02-07-2006 | 07:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hey Bozzy,

Just read your post to B.R. and I may be able to help with the K&N filter question. I took the advice of 2manytoys (thru Bruinrider) and put K&N filters on both of our Baja 90s. You will need to get a filter (number is RU-0160) and a pre-charger to go over the filter (22-8009PK). I had to special order mine in from a Honda dealership and they cost me $170.00 CDN (2 of each plus our ridiculous taxes, and I think I may have been taken by the Honda dealer to some degree). They do seem to make a difference, the ATVs breath easier. Also gives them a little throatier sound. From previous posts I believe you can get the K&N stuff from PepBoys in the States and they should cost you $25 to $30 per filter and then the pre-charger cost (the pre-charger is a fine vinyl-like sleeve that goes over the filter and keeps it clean, recommend you get these as the filters are in a spot where they definitely get dirty).

I also changed the oil in both and put in synthetic. I put in Amsoil 100% synthetic 10W-30 Turbo Formulated Motor Oil, Product Code ATM-QT. This also seemed to help quite a bit with starting the units in cold weather.

If you change the tires to bigger ones please let us know how it works out. I was thinking of doing the same thing to get a little more ground clearance. Curious about how it will affect take-off, acceleration, etc. Keep us informed!

Hope this helps!

DogbertTheConsultant

Old 02-07-2006 | 10:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

My son had his first ride on the new Quad CT gave us. It seems to work really well, got it quite muddy. I washed it up on Sunday and noticed when I took it for a quick spin, that the speedo isn't working. It was fine before washing it. I checked all connetions, sensor at the rear wheel etc. and no luck. Anyone have any possible idea's what might be wrong?

Thanks...Wade

Old 02-08-2006 | 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

Bozzy how is the Baja 50 dirt bike running for you guys??

Our baja 50 I think is in need of a ring job! It has a poor air filter system on it where it sucks dirt right off the back tire.

I knew this but figured it would last the summer till I did something about it but I guess it's too late. The boys and their buddies drove the p*ss out of the poor thing this fall in mudd and on their dirt track. I changed the oil a few times and cleaned the air filter etc . A couple times though I found I was too late on cleaning the air filter and it had sucked in dirt.

At one point it wouldn't even start but I adjusted the intake valve and that helped a lot but it still is not right. Plus it smokes a bit of blue smoke when you rev it up.

I wonder if Baja would send me some new rings?? I've heard it takes the same piston and rings as a XR 70 also.

Old 02-08-2006 | 08:40 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Thanks for the info D.B.,......I'll check into that...yeah we have a K & N filter on our Pitbike (love hearing it suck the air in)... with a high performance exhaust and it has a nice deep throaty sound and really smokes our little Baja 50cc dirt bike in all 4 gears.....The rubber is pretty soft on the 90 atv they will be bald by summer...............Hey SAWYER, our BAJA 50 is running ok, it smokes a little and the engine is not as responsive as it use to be...the oil look real dirty and black like shoe polish not a good sign but its been a year since I change it (too long).......yeah the air filter is pretty useless on these......I had a little trouble with a pinch fuel line.....i keep re-routing the line....the bike bogs a little when I hit the throttle (can't breath well with that suffocating filter)......but after 2 years it's been a decent little bike.......wish I could adjust the rear shocks.......way too soft for me.....now our new 70cc Pitbike is a beast and built for some serious riding and jumping and it's full of torque in all gears.......

Old 02-08-2006 | 11:20 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

I actually ordered my K&N filter and cover online directly from K&N....
here's the website: http://shop.knfilters.com/KNShop/AboutUs.aspx
It was much cheaper to order online (including shipping costs) than buying at Pep Boys or any other Auto store around where I live. We also put synthetic oil in both atvs and they've been running great. Bigger tires would be better - the ground clearance on these little guys are horrible! Ours didn't have the speedometer on it, so I can't answer any questions on that. I do have a question though..how often should we be greasing and oiling the chain and other parts on these things?

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

You need to make sure you keep the filters oiled. Clean them with soap and water, dry then oil. You also have to change the engine oil more often. If you can find a way to rerout the filter box away from the tires do it. My meerkat the filter intake was right next to the back tire so any dirt that it kicked up went directly into the intake. I moved the intake in front the battery in the rear.

Old 02-09-2006 | 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Hi All:

First timer to the board...stumbled across this about a month ago and the info has been great. Very helpful community (wish 2manytoys lived in San Diego County). Got my sons (10/6) a Baja 90 and one of those Baja Dune 65 mini go karts for xmas from Pep Boys. Been having a blast out in the desert with both of them...the go kart is a trip for the 6-year old....other than keeping the bolts tightened it starts right up and has been maintenance free! Been having the same issues everyone seems to speak of with the 90 (weak battery and tough to cold start, even here in SoCal). Also had that weird noise a couple of times when cold starting that Bruinrider mentioned in an earlier post (starter maybe?), but hasn't happened in our last couple of outings. Original battery wouldn't hold a charge (bad cell), but BM was great in shipping a new one in about one week, and they restarted my 90-day warranty period for me. Concur on no service from Pep Boys....once out the door you own it...end of discussion. Question: Has anyone posted the make/model for a battery to replace what comes with the 90? Something bigger/better? Keep needing to use the trickle charger overnight which is a pain on overnight trips. That's it for now...just wanted to say hi and thank everyone for the great info.

PS: Ordered the K & N filter and sleeve last night online, and will be changing out the oil to synthetic this weekend. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Baja 90cc