Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Baja 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005 | 12:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the input. I thought it might do okay but wanted to know for sure. The riding we will be doing will not be hard, most of the time anyway. As for mountains, we don't have much to speak of here in Ontario, nothing like out west. Glad to hear that the only issues are minor. Figure that getting a couple of these would be a good way for us to see how much use we would be able to get out of them and whether we would enjoy ATVing (probably a silly question). Will keep you posted on status and will hopefully be able to compare notes. Nice to know I can eliminate the limiter on the one I ride at least.

Thanks again,

Doug

Old 09-06-2005 | 03:33 PM
jef
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Ahh stoney creek nice area i was there last week looking at a dirt bike i live up past barrie 30mins north alot of people see the victoria harbour and think i live out west in bc.

Old 09-06-2005 | 06:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Hey Jef,

Stoney Creek is a nice area, thanks! Probably not as nice an area as you live in. I know where Victoria Harbour is, I have clients in Penetanguishene that I see a couple of times a year, but I have never had the pleasure of visiting your area. If we get these ATVs then we might venture up that way. By the way, when I mentioned riding in the mountains it was in response to Sawyer's post (from Alberta).

I am trying to look at other miscellaneous costs and understand that the ATV has to be licensed if it is to be driven off of private property. I am assuming you would need insurance as well. I gather it is a one time cost of $35.00 for a license plate and registration but do you have any idea what insurance would run?

Sorry for asking such stupid questions but we are new to this and want to know what to do?

Thanks again,

Doug (the newbie!!)

Old 09-06-2005 | 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

okay here it goes..
bought new baja 90 from crappy tire on simcoe day.. bring it home and cant get the damn thing to start .. ?? drained the battery ,had to go out a buy a battery charger.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] finally got it to run after playing with the choke ..rode it for 20 mins in the rain ..fun but putter along and as u all mentioned started to bottom out ..??(rev limiter) ..well cause of the rain brought it home and tucked it away for a sunny day..
sunny day comes ..cant get the f@#C&^% thing started...neighbours come around and drink my beer trying to figure out why..no go .. ??
after a 12 pack,neighbour gord sticks a little screwdriver forcing the safety pin ALL the way in ..THE BEAST ROARS ..wow first try and vroom ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] me ( 145 lbs) get on it and i go ..ran nice but again damn quad seems likes its choking ..(rev limiter) so i have fun with it and the young lad is grinning from ear to ear ..what a great bike i thought ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] after checking all the nuts,bolts,lights,oil,plug..i filled it up with 91 and headed for mosport for a weekend of funfilled planned activities..rode all day sat fine ..no problem ..but had to force that damn pin in ..i guess it wriggles it self loose at times ..what i eventually done was open up the slits a touch or too and it fits in nicely..still works itself loose tho time to time....anyhoo..rode all day kids ,me ,wife,..put the bike away ..sun morn go to start ..nothing .click click ..was all i got [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] tried starting it ..thought maybe starter jammed ..?? eventually drained battery which meant time to put bike on truck and go home. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

monday morning phoned crappy tire..they refer me to a service center and then they basically washed there hands clean of the matter..no follow up or calls on my behalf to baja. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
brought bike to repair shop and they pretty well handled it nicely ,calling baja and me,but i was not going to go thru a battle again as i did with crappy tire,so i called baja myself and got a manager to call me back.
Renee from baja called me back and told me the motor was SIEZED.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] i assured him that at no time was the bike mishandled or rode contrary to break in procedures,he reassured me that i wasnt at fault and that they have recived over half a dozen quads from the same crappy tire(brock rd and 401 in Pickering)with siezed engines due to the fact of incorrect pre delivery inspections..

Aug 31 2005 .. well i got the bike back with new engine and properly set up, spoke to renee @ baja and told him i was going to stand on that motor for the next ninety days(extended warranty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ) to make sure it is running properly after the 10 hour break in naturally...

Sept 3 2005 ..been away for a bit ..read me email..lots of tips ...i unhhooked the rev limiter..unscrewed the throttle ..and WOW............ does this lil thing ever go like stink ...amazing ..couldnt believe it that this lil 90 cc could flip the front tires ..the young lad was amazed..(hopefully he doesnt figure it out)

to end this i would like to say that make sure you or someone who knows these quads p.d.i them properly after you buy it.
(DONT TRUST CANADIAN TIRE)

the service i got from BAJA MOTORSPORTS was incredible to say the least , renee was fantastic and it is very reassuring to know that BAJA takes care of their customers.

Charlie

Old 09-07-2005 | 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Hi everyone,

I've had my Baja 90 for about a month now and its been a great little quad. Usually take it out everyday. It starts and runs great, but I thought I would mention to you guys to take care of the plastic. My 200lb nephew flipped it over climbing a steep hill and busted the fenders. I phoned Baja today and they want $148.12US for the front fender, $148.12US for the rear and $54.00US each to ship to Canada. I phoned Yamaha and checked into prices for the Raptor 80 (which is the same shape, etc) and they wanted $215.00 Cdn a piece. So Baja is cheaper, but cripes! $150.00 bones for a $10.00 piece of plastic? Oh well - I guess I'll be the only one riding the quad after I get it fixed. lol.

Old 09-07-2005 | 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Baja 90cc

Charlie,

PDI ???? Canadian tire does no PDI at least the one where I bought mine from....... From what I understood your on your own when it comes to making sure everything is in order. I does appear that someone did a PDI before it was boxed up. Someone marked all the nuts and bolts with a marker pen. Like is done in a typical PDI inspection after you torque them etc.

The quad I have now was still the crate when I brought it home! I had to take it out and assemble a few things which took about an hr or so. Thats pretty much the norm from what I gather here.

Was this engine full of oil that siezed?? Like was the piston actually siezed in the cylinder?? My local store said they had a quad that needed a "motor" also I don't know what was wrong with it.

Good to hear Baja got you going with another quad.

Old 09-07-2005 | 06:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default Baja 90cc

Yeah I did my own PDI .......don't really trust Pepboys auto to do it.....but they did at least charge the battery before I got it.....my first bike had a stuck choke......they took it back and gave me another.......great service there...but I am one of their best customers too.....just found out my dirt bike had a pinch fuel line so it wasn't a bad plug.....these bikes are really built well.....just not PDI like cars are....so its good to check them out carefully.......I look mine over before and after every ride......good to hear Baja is standing by their products......they have a lot of new bikes coming out.....they need too....if they continue.....they will become a big player in the market one day.......just don't expect much help from auto store's......thats just the way they are here in the US as well.

Old 09-07-2005 | 08:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

I have had mine for about 2 months now, no major problems, seems that the odd day that it doesn'
t want to start, other day wasn't getting any fuel to carb, peeved me off cause kids were bugging to ride, disconnected the rev limiter...had up to about 60 kph with my 205lbs on it , had to warn my oldest to leave it alone. other than that and the tether cord plug works great, NO longer have front lights on it, one got knocked off the other melted from the bulb inside, besides can't find replacement bulbs anywhere, thinking of changing to something else, anyone have any ideas

Old 09-07-2005 | 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

do these get much speed? Im looking for something for my son.

Old 09-07-2005 | 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Baja 90cc

Yeah, these things get alright speed. I weigh 190lbs, my daughter sits in front of me at 35lbs, my son behind me at 40lbs. We must be hitting 25 or 30mph - faster if I push it with the limter unplugged. I've had it through heavy mud and out at the motocross track. It does more than I expected. It takes a while to get up to speed - not much take off grunt. At the track I had to take full bore runs at the jumps. It runs out of steam on long steep climbs - but what can you expect from 90cc's. I'm happy with it. It was either the Baja 90 or nothing. lol

Quick Reply: Baja 90cc