Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50

atvingnc

sounds like you guys are having fun!

insted of cutting the running boards, put the 80 pegs on and get a set of nerfbars. its more mony but it keeps him from getting too used to the running boards. and they just look cool!! like the big boys!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

I like the XPR nerf bars that I see on raptor80racing, but $260 is alot. I've seen the same type/brand on other web sites for less but some
require welding brackets to the frame. My son is attached to the running boards because we do alot of sand and mud
riding and they keep him somewhat protected from the muck (I think that he'll come around to the nerfs eventually though). The other thing I have been looking at is putting a rear foot brake pedal on. I have noticed that yamaha did not put the stud on the Raptor 50 frame needed to attach the pedal.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, so far so good. simple job to remove the old engine and sat the two side by side...had to swap the universal yoke joint for the one from the 50..the only other thing todo at this stage is the CDI magneto unit...just going to swap the whole unit out of the 50 so it all plugs in the same..only problem seems to be the rotor it's self...the timing point seems longer in the 80???
will know tommorrow morning is guess..

Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

CJ5350

If you had to change the yolk then the motor is 1988 or older (the drive shaft was different on '88 and older) and the part number for the rotor is slightly different (although I don't know that this means that the timing is different). My 80 is from a '94 Badger and the rotor has the same part number as the '06 Raptor (also the same yolk). you should be able to use the old rotor I would assume. Is the engine in good shape. did you try and
compression test it or are you going to wait till its running and you can see if it burns oil.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

was told compression was good so going to run it first and see if there are any other problems with it ...
Also the side cover has a decal that shows 4 gears not 3. Any idea if the early motor has 4 speeds?

There is a lot of corrosion on the side covers so if it runs ok may well swap them from the 50's ones
yeah the splines on the yoke where twisted and larger not straight like in the 50...

...still wont fire up, tried both the flywheel of the 50 and the 80 ,both have plenty of spark and fuel is fine....starting to thing this motor needs more work than the seller made out...

Anyone have an idea of what the compression reading should be??

cheers

Old 08-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

CJ5350,

I think '88 and earlier had 4 speed. this should give you more top end. I thought the manual said 160 psi for compression (I'll look it up tonight). if its low try squirting a little oil into the spark plug hole and seeif it improves. I didn't bother with just trying to fire my 80 up. I figured on putting some cleanup time into it and some parts replacement (seals, clutch, at least rings). that way when I get it running the things most likely to break, wear or cause performance problems are replaced. good luck and keep us informed.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

manual says 171 PSI for compression

Old 08-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cheers atvingnc,
Checked the compression, 20psi. no difference doing a wet test so checked the timing...it's at least 4 teeth out and tappets where so tight that they where not even closing.. Might tear done the whole engine and start again at this rate....

4 days till I go riding with the kids... A few late nights after work coming up..

Old 08-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well guys I have been reading this thread now for the past 2 weeks after I got my daughter Raptor 50 at the freight company. Pulled it out of the back of the bed and started it up only to be quite disappointed. Tried a couple of things at first to get it to keep running rather than stalling out and finally talked to Al at Raptor80Racing. Ordered the power kit which consisted of exhaust, 3 main jets, pilot jet, gaskets, K&N filter,slider and thumb throttle bracket. I also got an RMStator cdi.

At first I wedged the airbox open and adjusted the air/fuel mixture screw. I could get the machine to stay running while in gear. I then put in the aftermarket cdi and that definitely helped out with the rev limiter and the performance. Got the parts from Al and installed the exhaust first. Wow what a difference. My daughter was ripping around the corners and was happy that she didn't have to keep feathering the throttle. She even made a comment about how good the machine was running. So today I took the carb off and started to rejet. At first I replaced the main jet with an 82.5 and went to the #10 pilot and K&N filter. Got the machine running only while having to use the choke. It idled up good but as soon as I try to take the choke off it immediately sputters and dies. Played with the idle mixture screw and the low speed setting and it still wanted to die. I could get it to stay running while in gear but had to keep feathering the throttle but man did it roast those tires around corners. I put the stock intake hose back into place and tried that but still nothing. So I took the carb off again and put the stock pilot back on. Still nothing.

So my questions are this.
1- How many turns out is the air/fuel mixture screw from the factory?
2- How many turns out is your load speed circuit? I know it will vary depending on locations but where is everyone about?
3- With the choke on it idles up nice and high (don't have the rpm's but will hook the tach up tomorrow to see where it is) but as soon as the choke is closed slightly it sputters and wants to die and if you do close it completely she just won't stay running? Would this be the low speed circuit being too lean or could it be the idle mixture screw?

Was wanting to take it to the mountains this weekend so my daughter could either trail ride with us or ride on our property but it is looking very slim. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Must be a bad day for little raptors, my compression problems in the new engine turned out to be a cracked and missing squirt on the piston...so much for good compression

Quick Reply: 04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50