Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50

mmade well put for sure but at the same time those two rides you mentioned are not really in the same ball park one the suzkie is a two srtoke pull start ( bunk ) two it sits wierd and not shaped right interms of rider fit i looked at both those machines and bought my son the yamaha fully knowing what yamaha was holding back, big time and allso knowing that there is a ton of goodys gona put them on dont matter what quad he got. plus heres another tip the 80 cc rig parts motor and trans will fit a 50
plus theres a hot cam for that 80cc rig plus the 3 speed shifting automatic tranny and bigger carbs and plus i'v seen two with blaster front ends welding and fabed on one a 50 and one an 80 really cool rides now yes i'm yamaha biased but hey nice rides best i can tell . and interms of what you should see on top end like i said wiht what i did wiht my sons 50 it keeps up with my 660 at just below high 2nd gear plus much better rev liminter not so bouncy real smooth thats nice the tire size differnce is allmost i think 2 inches in widths and 1and half in hight the killler thing i liked right away was the widing kit with the off set rims the quad really hadles the ruff stuff plus it alot easyer for my son to turn the wheels but in the end i'm doing a blasterfront graft for indepent front end and then a 80cc motor with a 90cc bore out and new piston and new cam and the 300 dollar cdi box soem nerf bars and new racing handle bars by the time i'm done i'll have a real littl mini raptor and in closing thats why i like the 50 or 80 cc machines all that i have explained aint happing with e-ton or suzkie sorry just my cent and half

Old 01-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Range Rover

ok found my invoice heres the wheel sizes 2 doug 8x6 125 4/88 and 2 doug 8x6 125 3/100

Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

1111, you are right about the quad, its a well built machine and blows away the competition. I was dissapointed with the top end but thanks to you, I found the answer to get around it. I will do the tire size in the future. He is only five so I am only looking for a little difference in speed. I will let you know in the future. I like the fact that you can bolt on a 80 motor and trans. What about the foot pegs and shifter lever? At least I know, I can swap engines instead of selling the machine and getting another one. That I like. The kid will be so use to the machine so the difference in hp, he will be able to handle with ease. Thanks again!

Old 01-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Range Rover

cool glad to hear it . yep the shifter for the 3 gear tranny what happens is you take off the palstic running gear thats on your sons 50 right and you get a set of nerf bars raptor80racing .com they got a nice set and away you go plus the guys down there tell me that the tranny will hook up to a 50 cc egine that should b cool to allright happy riding

Old 01-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I am not arguing that the 50 is a slug... And the reason is... Take a look at the CPSC guidelines for this class of machines. I beleive the maximum allowable speed is around 10 MPH. Now some manufacturers are following the guidelines closer than others. Soem of the chinese and Korean knockoffs don't give a damn other than the moment you place your dollars in their hands....

It is nice to know that there is a lot more speed and power left in both the 50 and 80 raptors.

For those of you that know me, you know I am quite outspoken when it comes to parental control, and responsible riding with regard to youth riding. So please understand that personally I am opposed to any modifications to machines for children under 6.. maybe even 8 years old depending on how they ride and OBEY your directions. It isn't a wquestion of holding on and twisting the throttle.. it is more a concern that youths this age do not exude a lot of good judgement, especially when put in an emergency situation. Therefor, this is the reason for my stance.

I sincerely hope that you watch them like a hawk, and consider using some wheel extenders to make the machine wider. The safety margin for rollover is greatly improved when doing so....

Good luck to you and great riding....

Old 01-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

well siad dragginbutt the guys at raptor80racing .com really stress widing kits front and back when you start adding power ad ons it was the first thing i ordered widing kits 6 inches added up front and 4 inches added in the rear very simple and it defintly makes for a much more stable ride allright happy riding

Old 01-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got the cdi box today from a guy off e-bay. What a difference that makes. Now it's a much faster quad. Hey, was it hard to open up the slider on the carb? Any pointers you can give me would be great. I think with these two mods, I will be a happy parent, not to mention the grin that is still on my kids face after he took it for a ride. Sweet!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

hey thats great glad to see you found a cdi box and that your kid had the grin sounds great. in terms of cutting the slide valve in the carb one go to rivamotorsports.com there you will find exploded drawings just so you have an idea any wasy it easy get the carb out and apart and you will see the slide is basicly to long so yo have to shorten it so take off the top of the carb were the throttle cable came in took the slide droped in then back it out until its flush in the carb chamber now you have a section of the slide valve sticking out of the top of carb were you took of the plate for the throttle cable mark it and then cut it right acrosss take the top right off. the metal is pretty hard dont put it in a vice you might crush it out of round i held and used a dremel tool stell cut off whell put it all back to gether and you will see a really big grin on your kids face hey another really easy and cheap up grade is a k and n filter and jet kit i think the jet is like 18 bucks for that ride and the filter like 20 to 30 bucks thats helps it out to you the truth of it is i went all the way and the first time my boy rode his quad he was blowout of the water how much more of every thing power tourqe handling of coures i did the widing kit and wheels to have fun be safe hit me up for any ideas like turning the gear shifter form a handle style to foot peg style or puting foot peg for the rear brake another great and cheap up grade any ways happy riding

Old 01-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

Do not forget you also need to grind where the cable hook,s up under the thumb throttel cover.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

Quick Reply: 04-05 Yamaha Raptor 50