Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Yamoto 150cc... Initial startup - Please help???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Yamoto 150cc... Initial startup - Please help???

Hello!

I just purchased a new Yamoto 150cc and cannot get it to start. If I pump the throttle a few times it will start and idle for 5-10 seconds or so and then die. If I touch the throttle at all it will die instantly. Do these things have a choke??? or are they automatic chokes.

Also, on the left side of the bike under the gas tank are two tubing lines that meet at a "T". One line apparently comes from the carb on the right side of the bike, the other line comes from in front of the motor on the lower left. They meet at a plastic "T" fitting but the third barb on the "T" isn't connected to anything. If I put my finger over it when I crank the motor I can feel vacuum... Is this supposed to be connected to something???

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

-John

Old 09-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Go get the carb checked out. And for that "T" tube connected to nothing at the end, go check it out at the dealer.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is no "dealer" in my area that I'm aware of. There seems to be plenty of people around that have these so I am hoping someone knows what, if anything, it connects to. Or, the can take a quick look at their own and let me know?

As far as having the carb looked at. I will be doing any required work/maintenance myself. If you know from experience that this is a carb issue then what specifically caused it? I know I could troubleshoot it step by step, I'm just looking for the most likely cause to start with and maybe reduce the amount of time I spend "chasing" a potential problem.

Thanks again for any help!

Old 09-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

My used to have a predator 90cc and it reacted the same way as yours. I checked it out and found out it was the jets. It wasn't properly jetted and so I still have warranty. I took it to the shop and got it repaired. So, I'm sure it is the carb.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine didn't idle too well right out of the box either. It just needed a small carb adjustment. There's an air/fuel mixture screw on the left side of the carb. I got it running and slowly turned the screw until it smoothed out. That was 5 months ago, and it's been fine ever since. I would expect allmost every new machine to need a little tweaking since altitude plays a major role in how well a carb works.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Jeff but if you read my initial post it's not a matter of tweaking it to get it to idle better, it will not run at all. I have adjusted the air mixture screw and it hasn't made any significant difference. I can pump the throttle 4-5 times and then hit the starter - It will fire and idle for 5-10 seconds and then die. If I so much as breathe on the throttle while it's running, it dies instantly. I guess I'll have to pull the carb apart and give it a once over.

Does anyone have any ideas on the "T" fitting mentioned above?

Thanks,
John

Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, guess I didn't completely understand what you were saying. I got it now. Sounds like a choke problem. If your Yamoto is an 05 model (and it should be), the choke is on the left handlebar right under the starter button. It is a manual choke. Work it back and forth while looking at the carb to see if all the linkage is connected.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

***Edited by atvconnection moderator***

Old 09-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow Grumpmaster.... You're a man of few words!!! I like that...

LOL, j/k

Old 09-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry the mods thought i was soliciting. i will take a look today at the petcock setup on the 150 and see if i cant come up with something.

looks like my novel was shaved down som eh,LOL