Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'01 Xplorer 400 I'm interested in. Owner put a video of it running on YouTube for me

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Xplorer 400 I'm interested in. Owner put a video of it running on YouTube for me

I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. This person has this ATV for sale listed on Craigslist. I wouldn't ride much as I don't have the land for it, but some of my family members do and I always feel left out when they go riding on their land.

Anyway, this is the video of a startup, reverse, and riding it around the best he could while holding his phone to record.

At first I thought it was pretty loud compared to other ATV's I've heard, but then I figured out it was a 2-stroke and I think those are generally louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB-u...ature=youtu.be

It's missing some dash plastic which he mentions in the ad, and also states this:

Runs great
New battery
New brakes
New head gasket
New throttle/oil cable (professionally timed)

- So yeah, if anyone would care to watch the video and if they hear anything funny or whatever, feel free to share. I know it's a long-shot cause it's a low quality video etc, but I'm just curious the opinion of someone that knows more than I do.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Exhaust is a little loud,leaking,but not out of the norm for this 400 2 stroke.Sounds like the fan is wired up direct? Sounded like it was running when he turned the key on. Could possibly have something to do with replacing the head gasket bypassing the radiator sensor if the sensor is out and the engine got hot.Posible blown head gasket because of it? That plus body/plastic parts may be starting to get hard to find for this 15 year old machine. Only if you can get it cheap enough and like working on projects. On these older two strokes I'd stay away even though people still love them. The 400 is one complicated engine if major repair are needed.More so than a lot of four strokes.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Exhaust is a little loud,leaking,but not out of the norm for this 400 2 stroke.Sounds like the fan is wired up direct? Sounded like it was running when he turned the key on. Could possibly have something to do with replacing the head gasket bypassing the radiator sensor if the sensor is out and the engine got hot.Posible blown head gasket because of it? That plus body/plastic parts may be starting to get hard to find for this 15 year old machine. Only if you can get it cheap enough and like working on projects. On these older two strokes I'd stay away even though people still love them. The 400 is one complicated engine if major repair are needed.More so than a lot of four strokes.
The fan was actually the only thing I noticed with my very limited knowledge because my friend's ATV doesn't do that. His fan will kick on sporadically while riding, but not before it's even started.

Thanks for responding.