Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

110cc quad driveline troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 110cc quad driveline troubles!

I have a Ducar 110cc quad with the 3 speed reverse shaft drive set up. Well today the boys pushed in the shop and said it stopped. Looks like the side gear box that drive shaft comes out if is toast. It sounds like thats where the clunking/clicking noise is coming from. Oil is leaking out of it now I see on the floor. Looks like it comes off easy enough but the quad is a month old and under warranty. I guess it took out he gears in there or something.

This is my second 110 the first one the rear end went out in a hr. This one ran fine for a month other than bolts coming loose etc.

I'm wonding if I should have just got one with a simple chain drive??? I'm going to see if they will take it back or how much it will cost me for them to take it back and get something different if this problem can't be addressed. Good grief whats going to happen if its 2 years old!~

This place also sells the 150cc CVT trans, chain drive and for 2006 they have reverse which looks not bad.

Anyone seen these problems with the drivelines on these 110's??? If so whats the fix???

Old 09-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a "body" content search on this forum and didn't find any historical tranny problems with "Ducar 110". A few engine posts but NO tranny posts. Is this the 2nd Ducar 110 tranny or rear end problems you've encounted? Sounds like it is.

Since I didn't find any "simular" tranny / rear end previous posts, one would assume their China construction is average. In other words, isn't dramatically poorly designed. Did you see how both of these parts broke? Was your young rider jumping, trying to do wheelie or some other "out of the norm" driving style with it? If they were, then the drive system parts might break. I've read posts about "jumpers" encounting drive system problems with their minis. Both shaft and chain drive systems. For them, their young riders weren't letting off on the gas while in mid air. Thus, their engines dramatcially reved and when their back wheels hit the ground, instant drive system damage. Or mechanical damage after a jump when they least expected it. re: part became cracked from the prevous improperly jump landing. Somehow, I get the feeling that your young rider is driving the mini outside the norm, or not letting off on the gas when in mid air. Hopefully, you seen the conditions how both of these areas broke. Or what lead up to this breakage.

Will a chain drive system be better? Maybe, maybe not. Each system has their max stress limits. If your young rider pounds the snott out of it, even a chain driven system will have breakage problems. Even with bigger size ATVs.

This probably isn't much help but I'd be interested in learning the driving and rider style conditions on how both these mechanical problems happened. Especially since I can't find previous posts on a simular problem.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I brought the 1st home and a hr. later the rear diff. stripped a couple teeth right out of the crown gear! The dealer said no problem here's another one which has now got this driveline problem.

I ran across this thread http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...ARTPAGE/20.cfm
regarding 2004 110 chinese quads with trans, diff. problems. Mine is suppost to be a 2005 model.

It has had light use driven by 6 and 9 year olds. Most of the time its in 1st or 2nd gear and driving on an open field out back.

Only thing I can think of is the boys could have shifted into gear with engine running too fast etc. Unless you have it idling it will "clunk" into gear. Or sometimes when shifting it from reverse to 1st it will not quite "catch" right away and then clunk. What ever the case with these light boys riding it there is no way it should fail under such light use.

If it did break some teeth on the side gear box gears there must a hardness issue or clearance issue with the gears. The gear box had oil in as I checked it to be sure when I got it from the dealer. I don't think they even checked it or the diff to make sure they had oil.

The salesman claims they've sold a 150 of these quads with only a handfull with driveline related problems. I'll talk with the service guy when I take it back. He sees what comes in and knows what fails etc.

The quad has a 6 month warranty and the dealer so far is more than happy to fix it for free. I have a parts book for the quad with a break down of everything. Parts are cheap for these things and they seem to have them. On a positive side the engine so far...... has ran fine, it seems to have been built pretty good.

After I get it back I'll post what went wrong with it.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your young riders were NOT driving the ATV outside its expected "normal" driving conditions. re: Jumping and driving the snott out of it.

Theres an old saying that some people use. It is... "1st break down is a fluke, 2nd break down is noticed and 3rd break down is a pattern". Sounds to me you've identified a pattern for us... Definately keep us informated on your replair and final conclusion....

If it breaks down so often (while being driven within normal riding conditions) and you are starting to loose faith in this brand, perhaps it's time to get a different brand? Something that has a proven history in solid construction and reliability. Something to think of....

Old 09-26-2005, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I also bought the boys a Baja 90 quad which cost 44% less then this Ducar 110. The Baja has no gears and chain drive. So far other than a few little things its has been running fine. Both quads apear to have the same make of engine just one a 90 and one a 110. I stated in another post I could make a real nice quad between the two. As the baja has way better suspension, better fit and finish too on the frame. Where as the Ducar has the bigger engine, bigger tires, and a 3 speed reverse trans.

I haven't given up on the Chinese quads by no means" yet". If I had known then what I know now I probably would have bought this Ducar shaft drive model. The baja was "cheap" even for a chinese quad so if it needs a some work now and then I can live with it. Where as I paid good money for the Ducar as a chinese quad. Compared to brand name well its still half the cost I guess.

I think I'll take the quad to the dealer today and see whats up.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

Well after almost a month(would be a month on moday) they ph. and said the quad is ready to go. I was beginning to think they were going to keep it or something!

Originally I dropped it off and they said no problem. I ph. back in a couple days and they said they didn't have parts and had to order them. (when I bought it they said they stocked all the parts). Ok fine I can understand that I guess. A week goes by..... they say they need more parts....another week....they got the wrong parts....and so on. This week I was gettting a little tired of this already as we paid good $$ for it buying it from a dealer compared to getting on off the net or at the local auctions that sell them for less also. Figured it out and in the couple months since we bought it's been "down" more days than days the kids have been able to drive the darn thing. So this week after I got the "waiting for parts" story I said just give me my money back already its just not worth the hassel!!!!

If they would have said up front like "we have no parts", here's a loaner quad as it will take 4-6 weeks for parts I probably wouldn't have been as upset.

So I have to go get it when I get a chance and see just what the heck was all done to it.