Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Trying to decide on mini for my son

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on mini for my son

I think a 3 year old on an appropriatley sized quad with constant supervision is OK as long as the parents use good judgement and common sense regarding that child's skill level. I don't think I would send a 3 year old out on a race track, but again, good judgement and common sense are a must.

Yes, a lot of accidnets have caused the gov't to impose all the restrictions and so called guidlines with regards to age groups and quads without looking at all the facts. That being said, I'm sure that the vast majority of those that are diagreeing here are also guilty, me included, of allowing their kids to ride quads without being the "right age" according to those same rules and guidelines. I for one think it's in the best interest of my 5 foot tall, 10 year old to be riding an 80cc quad rather than the 50cc quad they say he should be on. Unfortunately, it's the parental minority that throw their kids on a quad and walk away thinking it's "just a toy" that have caused the headaches for the majority.

Drueandtyler'sdad, I know I'll get flamed, but personally, I would stay away from the Chinese and Taiwanese quads. One look at the number of posts regarding where to find parts, this broke, that broke, and help, it won't start should say enough.

Flamers - yes I know all quads can and will have problems, but in my book, the reliablity and bullet proof-ness, which of course you'll pay for, is well worth the extra cost for the Japanese name brands.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:34 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: MrSandman
Flamers - yes I know all quads can and will have problems, but in my book, the reliablity and bullet proof-ness, which of course you'll pay for, is well worth the extra cost for the Japanese name brands.
I'd argue I can name popular brands that you would have trouble finding those type of posts on. I've often wondered why my Yamaha engine would be more reliable when sold by a Yamaha dealer? What people need to understand, in some cases, these asian companies are cranking out the same oem parts that are going into the big 4.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about that. You are right I do not know him or his kid. The subject hit a sore spot; I have seen to many parents cripple or kill their children by pushing them beyond their capability.

Back to the subject.
How old is the child?
Will you be riding in water?
How big of hills will they be going up?
Will it be trail riding or racing?

Old 10-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DRUEandTYLERSdad
Hello everyone,
I have not posted before, so would like to introduce myself. Im 31, live near Seattle, WA with my wife and two kids. Recently my son has become interested in riding a quad as well as trying out the racing scene as well. I have lurked the different sites over the past few weeks and have come to the conclusion after talking to various people that I really like the LEM. I also have found out that getting parts for them is quite difficult. Does anyone have any input on either issue? I know there are alot of these minis that are very competitive, but have been leaning towards the LEM. Also, does anyone have a used one for sale?

Thanks and I appreciate any input in advance,
Corey

The kasea and Eton's seem to be the top dogs in the 50cc class. Try Hetrick Racing or ATV racing for hop up info.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you everyone for the posts. I came back home after picking up Drue and Tyler from school, opened up my email and there were tons of emails about this thread. I will check out the Dinli's. I have checked on the Kasea's some as well, but still am leaning towards the LEM. My son is not very tall, but is solid. I have heard from alot of Dads, that these little quads are great to learn to jump on because they are so lightweight. Right now Im looking at a 2003 that is totally stock for $1000 plus shipping. I believe that these things weigh about 125 pounds. I dont know what the truth is, but Ive been told that basically the next competitor is about 80-100 lbs heavier. Again thanks for all the input and to those who helped to steer this thread back in this direction.

Thanks,
DrueandTylersDad
Corey Townsend

Old 10-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Just like the good old days -

Dude - you can contact the Governor for all I care. We ride together a couple of times a year anyways and he busted his butt on the last ride whilst failing to avoid a tree. I doubt very much he will be to inclined to support your having a 3 year old on a motorized quad and here we call stupid is as stupid does... Just like in the movies. Heres his email address tim.pawlenty@state.mn.us or you can contact the Minnesota DNR at info@dnr.state.mn.us I'll ask that they keep an eye out for your comments.... I've been down this road so many times its like walking home in a warm summer rain.

I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain...

I believe the content of some of these responses speak for themselves and highlight very clearly the problem children face. And I will admit that some kids are ready before others are - but not at 3. Nope - can't say I've ever seen or heard of that being a best practice decision. Here in MN its about as legal as allowing that 3 year old to drive the car.

How about we take these 3 year olds skydiving or ride-along in a NASCAR race? Nobody got no right to tell me what to do wid my son - right?

The topic was what quad is correct for the posters son. Age, proper fit and ability all come into play. Not just the parents desire to see their kid doing something they want to see them doing. In that light I believe it incorrect that we are highjacking the thread.

If the poster wants to know what is proper fit or quad size we cant avoid these issues.

Colors are at their peak here and its a good day for a walk in the woods. Its hunting season so quads are out. It sure is pretty.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Well on the lighter side [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

WE had a LEM Condor for our 4 yr old & he LOVED that silly thing LOL we did too until he needed more power & we couldnt' do anything w/ it really, the Cayman is a different story(but I think is more expensive than the Kasea), my niece has one that my brother is modding now & it went pretty darn good before that. There are a couple around the tracks we race @ (BTW we are from Everett) that go like heck!! WE ended up selling the LEM & now have a Kasea Skyhawk 50 we paid $1600, & just got $350 worth of mods that are supposed to WAKE it up!! So we'll see once we get time to put them on LOL, which better be soon our season starts NOv. 5th [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] anyway the Kasea's have a pretty good name out there & there are TONS of mods for them, we will eventually get the 70cc kit, & then move up to the 90cc kit.
www.Robbsracing.com is a good place for mods for the LEM check them out!! Anlother good place is www.miniatv.com [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
So you are from the Seattle area huh have you check out the "PSAR (Puget Sound area riders) riders meet here" thread??? Gotta check that out, got LOTS of good peeps over there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] & there alot of racers, big ones & little ones [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hope this info helps for you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] You should bring your son out to Monroe to watch the races once to see what he thinks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] check out my signature for the website info [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Range Rover

Once again I will ask the question...

Why does the AMA promote the use of ATVs in racing events at the age of 4? Obviously these kids didn't just get on a bike the day they turned 4 years old to compete?

If a child of 3 has better motor skills and riding ability than a 6 yr old then why should they not be able to ride in a supervised environment?

So a 6 yr old that is not as skilled as my son should be able to ride a quad?

I do agree that "most" 3 year olds shouldn't be on quad, but I am very confident in my son's abilities and my supervision.

If he isn't able to ride a quad due to his age then why is he able to beat the 6-8 yr olds on 80cc bikes?

Almost everyone that sees him doesn't believe he is only 3 1/2 when they see him ride......This is not a blind opinion of a father...my older son is not the same kind of rider that my little one is and therefore we handle his riding situations differently

You can have your opinion...but calling someone you don't know "stupid" is out of line and does not sit well with me and as you can see most of the other posts agree with me...

I happen to have a group of friends that live close to you....in fact I am in Minneapolis a couple of times a year...nice place...good people..you are what about 15 minutes from Wyoming,MN???

Any good places to ride where an ATV can be rented?

Old 10-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Yes I agree w/t he childs skill level & PARENT SUPERVISION, & proper riding gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids you see getting hurt or worse are the ones who have NO parental supervision, & seems they are NEVER wearing proper riding gear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Makes me an ANGRY MOM ARGGGGGGGGGG

Seen a kid on a 3-wheeler one day as I"m driving down the road, he's got a HUGE smile on his face only problem...........................he had NO HELMET, shorts, & tennis shoes & NO shirt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] STF is wtong w/ these parents????????? I would of stopped if there weren't cars behind me I was fuming the rest of the way home & was REALLY biotchin' to my husband when I did get home!!!!!!!!1

Old 10-17-2005, 04:20 AM
Trailblazer

3yr. old racing with 6-8 yr. olds on 80cc? not smart!!!!!

you said it yourself. some of the older kids don't seem to have
the same skills as your 3 yr. old. so what happens the time
the 80lb 8yr. old with the 220lb 80cc-90cc crashes into
the 3yr. old on the little 50cc. i know what might happen,
through absolutely no fault of the 3yr. old, but none the less
not a smart idea to be mixing minis like that. sure 99 out of
100 times nothing happens. the 1 time it does is what all will
be focused on. here is something to look at. put your 3 yr.old
on his quad, then pull a 80-90 quad next to him and see where the bumper
height is in relation to your childs seat heigth. ouch!!!!!